In praise of the .45-60

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: In praise of the .45-60

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Crossfire Trail. 8)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Crossfire Trail. 8)
It was the carbine and the actual rifle is now in the NRA museum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

barbarossa wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:12 pm A few years ago I was lucky enough to take this buck with my Uberti 76 carbine in 45/60
Very nice! Great photo and I'll bet the memory that goes with it is even better.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Beautiful buck with a great rifle! The 1876 has kept my interest since I first saw Steve McQueen in Tom Horn in about 1980 I think. I've got it on DVD and watch it occasionally, I'd sure like to have one in 45-60, I'd put it use!
images.jpeg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I love that movie. That rifle was about as big as he was!

One of the things that impressed me about that movie was that all my life, the old timers told me that there were not a lot of folks who carried a sixgun every day. But people carried their rifles with them. This movie seemed to confirm that idea. And it would make sense as a rifle was definitely easier to hit with.

Here’s a photo taken in 1873 of three Texas Rangers (militia in this time period) in Medina County, Texas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Great photo Scott. I see it is reversed by the loading gate -- kind of like the one so often reversed of Billy the Kid.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Scott I'm not sure the % of HG vs Rfl, but I can tell you from word of mouth from, My Dad, close friends still here that witnessed it, etc. Plenty outright coal mine wars right here where I was born and raised, still live, began work while a couple where still going on in the 70's. It was on account of Union vs Non Union preferences. International Harvester and Employees built this town where I still sit. It was Non -Union. 1 mile up road a town built by US Steel, UMWA. Both big operations especially for the 20's thru not long ago. IH had and run one the most complete. Clean, everything furnished, from the best houses, school & teachers, Dr's, Everything Modern. The men who would work, take care their homes & yards, provided a for then as good as it gets here, LIFE! But big time Union was after every big company.
There was big time takeover tried, men from other places, positioned with rifled to take shots to break moral of people! IH provided barrels of I've been told Lever Guns, to anyone wanting to defend their way of good life here! It never happened, carried on until coal, economics, war on coal killed us! There's still some those Leverguns around, my hunting buddy who is 75 knows of some them who has them. Rifles dominated, and you can see plenty old pics still on internet of the Coal Mine Wars of Harlan Co Ky, Hell in Harlan, and lots in W.Va just like it!
I believe for the most part, those here anyways, openly carried and made seen there defense! Handguns where in private Civil disputes gone bad!
I can the old commissary building (company store) from where I sit. In the 30's-40's, for some time there was a machine gun mounted on top! Couple named it when needed!
I growed up by them old timers, who when they spike to you, you listened!
Hoot Gibson openly stated, once coming thru here. Benham Ky, year? "Why, they wad burning a loud mouth no good trouble maker in one the Coke Ovens right then" I don't doubt it, and am sure he wasn't a lone loss!
Lotta rifles won what we are, kept it! All truth here! Went to work in 77 in mines soon as I graduated HS, I had friends who went to work at 2 other companies, who rode a armored bus, to and from work ever day. By 80's, it was pretty well over.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:18 pm Great photo Scott. I see it is reversed by the loading gate -- kind of like the one so often reversed of Billy the Kid.
Exactly. Those are 1866 Winchesters. But note that there is only one pistol in the shot. These guys used their rifles.