OT--My Redwing Died

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

OT--My Redwing Died

Post by Sixgun »

Fellow Dudes,
Notice I said "Redwing" and not "Redwings" as in plural. Only one came apart, but unless I get a foot chopped off, I'm gonna need a new pair.

I only got 5 stinkin' years out of these boots. Big deal, so I wore them everyday, except funerals, gunshows, and huntin'. (thats about all I do anymore--its a middle age "thang" :D ) When I say these boots got worn hard, they were worn mighty hard. Splittin' wood, diggin' ditches, working on my tractor and other greasy equipment, steppin' in horse & dog do-do and then washin' 'em off.

I'm up at 5:30 AM and don't sit down until 9 PM. These are the USA Redwings, not the slanty Chinese ones. One pair of $300 boots in 5 years is better than $100 junkers every year :wink: A Boy Scout is many things and "thrifty" (NOT cheap)is one of them!

Hey! Whats this in the closet??? A new pair of Redwings!!!! Thanks son----you 'da man!!!

What kind of boots do you boys wear for everyday kicking around? I use USA Danners for huntin'--------------------Sixgun

These babies fit real nice. Won't need another pair until I'm almost dead. :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT--My Redwing Died

Post by madman4570 »

Black Danner 8" GTX Strikers for everything!(Tie only, dont care for the zipper ones)
Though Red Wings are Fantastic Boots!One of my brothers works construction(Civil Eng.) and he says they are the only boots(Red Wings)that hold up around concrete??
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm real upset at Danner. I bought a pair of their Ft Lewis boots, 225$$$$, and the Gortex was dead in a year. Danner would not make them good. The best they would do is rebuild them, with a 90 day warrenty, for 150 bucks :evil: That was right on top of a pair of Danner Hiking boots that the sole split and they wouldn't make those good, either. :evil: I think I'll just get the "Slanty" ( :roll: ) ones at WalMart---at least they will make anything good after it tears up within the warrenty period.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Blain,
Were the Danners you had the Chinese ones or the American ones? My son and I both bought the Chinese Danners several years ago---took 'em right in the Rockies for a week of hunting and both his pair and mine leaked.

When we got back home, we took them back to the Sportsmans Warehouse and upgraded to the American Danners. Never a problem since

I won't buy nothin' made in China unless I'm forced to and lately, I've been forced quite a bit thanks to the degenerates running this great nation. :evil: ----------------Sixgun

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Blain,
Were the Danners you had the Chinese ones or the American ones? My son and I both bought the Chinese Danners several years ago---took 'em right in the Rockies for a week of hunting and both his pair and mine leaked.

When we got back home, we took them back to the Sportsmans Warehouse and upgraded to the American Danners. Never a problem since

I won't buy nothin' made in China unless I'm forced to and lately, I've been forced quite a bit thanks to the degenerates running this great nation. :evil: ----------------Sixgun
They were the American Danner Ft Lewis and the Chinese hikers...... I've had some Sorrel winter boots that have been totally waterproof and held up for several years. Other than that, usually wear sneakers. I have no doubt that you are much rougher on your boots...I've really slowed down over the last 10 years :oops: I'm not trying to be too ornery: Those RedWings are some real sharp boot. Hey, ever used this stuff? Been using it on the motorcycle leather and gloves.....very waterproof stuff.
http://www.obenaufs.com/oil.php
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Driving a truck in circles around the country isn't hard on my footwear... a pair of comfy ropers made by Boulet from Canada.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Blain,
The Obenoff's is the ****, well, you know, the best :D Heres a pic of a container of it but the writing wore off from microwaving it :D

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I wear whites/hathorn packers for riding and hunting then when it gets cold hoffmans pacs . For tractor work grease and oil I have a pair of ariat's 6". Pay the money and buy USA. danny
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Send them Redwings back to the factory and ask them to rebuild 'em...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

BigSky56 wrote: Pay the money and buy USA. danny
And a big 10-4 on that Danny :D -------Sixgun

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Blaine, Danner should make good on those! Who did you talk to(upper Mgt of Danner)tell you what! Look up the procedure of sending out online a executive email carpet Bomb."EECB"(I know that last word is not what it sounds like)it is an distributed email that goes to the entire chain of Mgt/board of directors/etc.I had an issue with my Daughters Laptop having a warrany issue that the hard drive died 2 days before the warranty expired.They denied it because they said warranty date starts when ordered not received????(this is a big Computer company many of us use)So I sent an EECB out and the OWNER of the Company called me from his vacation from Cape May.Said please dont send out any more of those/We are sending replacement and from now on whenever you buy any product of ours here is your own private contact that will take care of any needs you have!
http://consumerist.com/tag/eecb/

consumerist.com/.../how-to-launch-an-executive-email-carpet-bomb
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

consumerist.com/.../how-to-launch-an-executive-email-carpet-bomb
too bad that doesn't phase the dirty-perv-politicians in the District of Corruption !

I'm going on three years on a pair of Justin ropers that I alternate with a no-name pair. I don't use boot laces any more. In the skiff I wear sandals unless I don't, when I wear Extra-Tuffs, except in real winter when I wear Sorels. They're the only footgear I lace up, but it does help keep the snow out of the toes.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

In nice weather even like today here(66 degrees sunny)I love Birkenstock Betulas.
Used to wear Sebago Docksiders at the Lake and such but the Birkenstocks have the best arch support I have ever seen.My wife yells at me because I wear shorts until about Thanksgiving. :lol: (ya know the Carhartt cargo shorts/ adidas hoodies etc. Today in the woods I wore shorts/Birkenstocks! :?: Wife thinks I am nuts but I hate pants!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

White Smokejumpers and Nick Packers. Which one depends on what I'm going to be going through. The Smokejumpers have Vibram lug soles and the Packers are a Vibram smooth sole. The Smokejumpers are for everything other than everyday work wear and the packers are for riding and work everyday wear. Spendy, but I have one pair of White's that are about 15 years old and have been resoled twice. I have about $425 into them. The packers, two pair, are about a year old each. Do the average and you are less than $40 bucks a year for a quality pair of boots. I have a pair of USA Danners, Ft. Lewis model, and I don't care for them. They're a quality boot but the heel doesn't work real good on slopes or slick surfaces and I find myself on my posterior more than not.
Old Law Dawg
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Buck Elliott wrote:Send them Redwings back to the factory and ask them to rebuild 'em...
Buck, I thought about that but those babies are really bad. Kind of like a car with a million miles on it and then driven over a cliff :D . I really think the Redwing people would laugh me out on that :D --------------Sixgun

Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I still have a pair of Redwing linemans boots that I bought when I was first indentured into the line trade.

They made pretty good work boots but they did not stand the gaff and my feet hurt (alot) when I climbed in those boots.

Used to buy the Pecos pull ons... but they dont make em with the cork sole and conventional last anymore.

Most of my late model footwear comes from Olathe, White and WESCO
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have four pairs of Redwings. One pair is on sole four. Send yours back to Redwing for repair.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I've used Mason shoes for years until they went over seas. Ariat ropers for everyday work. It will be a couple of years before my Irish setters wear out for hunting. Winter boots are Lacrosse.

The funny thing is that Red wing , Lacrosse, and Mason were all made within an hour of my house. So I have always bought seconds at their factory stores.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

My hunting boots are a pair of Kulien calk boots that I bought in the early 90's. I bought three pairs since 1975 and primarily used them in the woods. I tried Danner, and they were completely worn out in a year. Kulien boots are made in Centralia, WA. It is a family business that has been operating for 3 generations. The boots are spendy, but you either buy one pair of Kuliens or 4 or 5 pairs of almost anything else. White is probably the next best shoe that I am aware of, but they are more of a mass produced shoe. Every pair of Kuliens is handmade in the USA on the same lasts that were used when they started making shoes.
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

Whites smoke jumpers for work, and 1914 vintage line (Current British Production) doc martens for pavement use. I have had a pair of Docs of some kind since I was in Jr. High, I are still claim they are some of the best boots around.
Break on through to the other side!!!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Fuel Transport drivers are always spilling a few dribbles of diesel and gas on the boots when you disconnect the loading arm, hard on the stitching around the soles. But I have had great results with Redwings in all other uses around my farm---cutting wood, muddy situations, wetness etc. Good to pay a bit more for comfort and toughness.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I switched from Red Wings to Chippewa boots several years ago. I wear pull-on Chippewa Arroyos everday for work and Chippewa lace-up Loggers for hunting, firewood gathering etc.

"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I alternate between a pair of Justin "tekno Crepe" and Tony Lama crepe sole boots for my "goin to town" attire. At work, it is either running shoes or Cougar Paws (dedicated roof climbing boots with a removable felt/foam sole)

Have no idea where any of them are made, but i am fairly certain the Nikes are outsourced to a far away land
----- Doug
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I had a pair that last about that long (hell it looks like my pair) and they did the same thing. I took them to a local leather and shoe repair guy and he fixed them up almost as good as new. I think I am just past 10 years on them now.

Since then I have taken him couple pairs of my wifes dress shoes (broken heals, straps, etc) at least one purse for my mom, and three or four holsters I picked up cheap because of damage and he has fixed them all. I think the most he ever charged me was $15.

When your wives favorite pumps are $150, that is money well spent!!!!!

Wm
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I have never heard of many of these pricey brands of boots you boys wear as I'm an Eastern hick and have lived a sheltered life. :D One thing for sure though, this board is known for quality stuff and I'm sure your boots are the best. I learned somethin' new today. :D ----------Sixgun

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Boys, he doesn't need to get them rebuilt at Redwing. He gets a new pair every 2 years from me, in return I take whatever I want out of his safe and get whatever gun restored at his cost. :mrgreen:
BTW, Dude don't forget to bring that 1886 SRC out for ELKIN. It's not going back this year. :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Sixgun jr wrote:Boys, he doesn't need to get them rebuilt at Redwing. He gets a new pair every 2 years from me, in return I take whatever I want out of his safe and get whatever gun restored at his cost. :mrgreen:
BTW, Dude don't forget to bring that 1886 SRC out for ELKIN. It's not going back this year. :lol:
Just when I thought I was gettin' away with murder, you let the cat out of the bag. Just for that I'm bringing you a cut down Sears .22 single shot rifle-----------------YO PAPPA :D

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"