What do you use?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

What do you use?

Post by madman4570 »

A little off the gun topic,but with cold weather upon SOME of us :lol: what does everyone use to heat your homes.???????? And how is it working for you?(would you change it if you could?)
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What do you use?

Post by awp101 »

Oddly enough, I use heat to heat my home... :mrgreen:

OK, I'll go to my room now.... :oops:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

OH BOY! Just for that I am cranking it up another 10 degrees :lol: (ya,ya I know I am paying for it)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Logs and coal us :)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Shorts and tee shirts for us here, sometimes we have to close the windows when the wind blows. :D
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

200 gals. propane & a wood stove. Use mostly the wood & cook on the stove too.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Oil here. On the short list is to add a masonary heater to burn wood. I built a small masonary heater to heat my shop/office building, to work out the engineering issues. Got it sorted (it's 75 in the shop right now). A small, hot fire heats the heater, and it in turn heats the shop for several hours AFTER I shut the draft to kill the fire.
Certified gun nut
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have 3 heat sources in my place. A heat pump, oil furnace and 2 air tight wood stoves. when the wood is burning nothing else is needed. I get the wood for free, just a bit of exercise which is a good thing. On not too cold days, small stove in the basement keeps the floors warm and maybe the heatpump comes on once in a while. Cold weather larger wood stove up stairs carries the load no problem. Oil comes on when the wood dies out at night and heats the house up in the morning if I'm not up early. (it is on a programable t'stat.)
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Our main/primary source of heat is a wood stove. I cut and store three years worth (each year is 4-5 cords) at any given time. My house is a berm house so it is pretty energy efficient. My property is enrolled in a forestry agriculture program so i have to cut XX amount each year to improve the forest health. Doing that gives me my wood source (plus I give a fair amount away each year) and it gives me ag zoned taxes lowerig my tax bill by 2/3.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a propane heater on a pilot light/wireless thermostat that I keep set about 60 and an electric space heater for each room.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

iceman, Can you tell me more about how your heat pump works/ its costs etc effeciency?
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Electric here. I mine the coal that runs the power plant so why not!?!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wood only with no 'backup'. Partly "forced-air" - convection to upstairs bathroom; forced via duct to house ends downstairs. Two-tiered intake damper with programmable thermostat to select tier. Furnace is not "jacketed" because I didn't like consequent overheating and warpage of furnace if electric power failed or blower motor went out, but block-walled, steel-ceiling room itself serves as the jacket, with metal fire-door mounted so that lower half of door serves as grille to allow air return. Sprinkler system in furnace room, along with two independent smoke and heat detectors. Triple-wall stainless chimney surrounded by 'closet' with steel walls from furnace room ceiling to roof.

We re-gasket the furnace every few years so it is tight enough you can literally choke the fire out with a shut damper, so it isn't unusual to go 36 hours between furnace 'feedings' most of the winter.

Works just fine.... 8)

P.S. the 'overkill' as far as safety is partly due to my own OCD, and partly due to some idiot at the insurance company telling us that they couldn't insure homes heated with wood, because they were too 'fire-prone'. My goal then became to have a furnace room fire-proof enough that you could basically just pile firewood in the room and light it - woodburning furnace 'optional'... They 'inspected' our installation and insured us without any hitches. :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I use a natural gas furnace here in CA. I have a fireplace I have never used as it draws more heat out than it provides. One of these days I will get a gas firelog that with modern design will actually add heat. Of course every time I have enough money for the firelog it mysteriously disappears for a leverized contraption designed to burn small amounts of smokeless powder and send copper or lead projectiles downrange. Also because of CA clean air regs using a wood stoked fireplace is more restrictive than owning a firearm, if you can believe that. They even passed a law that will limit the size of a TV you can buy. When people complain about intrusive government I just smile and say welcome to the club. Ironically, there is no ban in the summertime so I burn wood in a firepit on the deck. It is the closest thing to a campfire a lot of my neighbors have ever seen. Sad. Very sad. I also found some incense sticks that must have fir tree pitch in them because when you light them the house smells like a campfire built of fir limbs. It reminds me of campfires in the Sierras.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Kerosene in a MPI Monitor 441 heater. Have a wood stove we use occasionally (burn juniper) and an electric house furnace that we sometimes use too -- mostly when the temperature is in the low teens and below 0ºs to keep the underside (crawl space)of the house warm so as not to have the plumbing freeze.

I like the wood stove the best but don't like to cut wood so we use it as a backup.
ED
Yer never too old
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Well, we live in a tiny little cabin up in the woods with no electricity even. So for us, its a wood stove only. We also heat our water with wood.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2X22 wrote:Well, we live in a tiny little cabin up in the woods with no electricity even. So for us, its a wood stove only. We also heat our water with wood.

2x22
When the stuff hits the fan, Now you guys will make it fine! and also I think Doc AJ will be fine too! :lol:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

electricity = when we actually need to heat the house. Usually the sun is heating the house and I have to use electricity to cool it. ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

MoDocEd reminded me: I have a decent Kerosene heater, too...It's just that the fuel went up to 4 something a gal, IF you could find it, and that's when I started using the space heaters. The kero will heat the whole house, real warm, on about a gallon a day but it's a PITA to keep lighting it and putting it out every hour or so.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Arizona desert sun,... and for the few hours of cold mornings, a dozen or so time a year, a couple of capsules filled with cayenne pepper with my morning coffee. 8)
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Currently a combination of electric baseboard heaters and natural gas fired forced air furnace. Eventually I intend to add a wood burner and solar units and a wind turbine. My plan is to be independent of any one source so in the event of a disaster I could get by no matter what was available.

You can't take winter time heating for granted in Northern Michigan. Over night temps below zero are to be expected Dec through mid march.

Wm
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Propane (ventless) fireplace and a heat pump.
Northern Arkansas doesn't get too cold for more the a few days at a time and even then it seldom gets too cold.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Natural gas. I won't ever have any other type of heat again. I've had electric furnaces and wood stoves to supplement, but IMO there's no comparison with NG. Burning wood is more work than I care to do anymore and electric is just too danged expensive.
NRA Life Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Wood the past four years. Oil this year as the house is for sale and wood is messy. www.88unadillaave.com
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Heat pump. Of course, it doesn't run much down here.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

house has a heat pump, but living area uses a gas fireplace that works very well. On my boat, I have an electric heater.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Here today this morning it was 25 degrees.My part time place I put in a Newmac Oil/Wood Combo furnace. That does a good job and wood is right there(but it is a lot of work)That place is tight (R40 ceiling/R19 walls/Anderson argon thermos etc.)Its almost too tight.Now the other place is a year built 1890 14 room/high ceilings/older tall narrow windows(32)and it has a Oil Furnace.If using just that and keeping it at least 68 degrees it takes at least 1000 gallons a year.When the oil was getting high couple years ago I used a Pelonis disc furnace in the dining room(kind of cheating because that is where the thermostat is.So the furnace only used 530 gallons but you have the extra 70@electric only for those 5 months($350)but better than extra 500 gallons of oil say at $3-$4 @gallon.Last year I bought a Harman P38 wood pellet stove.So last year I used the Pelonis till Nov 6,(1 month)$70 and 3.5 ton of Hammer Pellets@$200 a ton and used 40 gallons of oil.so $70+$700+$90 = $860
I just started that Harman yesterday and with these temps it runs 34hrs on 1 bag,Probably will move back to the other place next year(tired of paying $280 to hunt on my own place etc)So I might put one of those up there???Wife thinks that's a waste because we have a lot of woods.But up there I might use say even 3 ton(that a area of 4X8x6high)thats it.wrapped and nice and bagged.Dont know if it is worth cutting all the wood for the Newmac???Even when it is cold 1 bag a day and clean it(20mins)every 3-4 weeks???
Its just interesting what every one uses.In the winter at the other place I use a Pelonis furnace set at 50 degrees from now till end of March(drain the pipes and add RV antifreeze to the drains/toilets? Hey you have to go the the bathroom then up there go in the woods or in the grass(no one can see ya) :lol: Dont trust the furnace when not there, oil gun/nozzle could plug and dont want the house possiblt sooting up or going way cold!I have a special dedicated electric line to the Pelonis and it sits in the middle of the hardwood floor in dining room on a cermaic 4x4 slab.It works very well for that so far.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Natural gas, and wood when we are allowed to burn it, provides the small amount of heat needed to warm our home. We have a catalyst insert in the old fireplace, but many days are no burn ones. Our gas bill runs as high as $25 during the months when then temp falls into the 30s overnight. Gas runs the water heater, central heat, and the range. All else is electric, the bill for which might reach $70.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Madman4570, My heat pump is an older Lennox I bought when I worked for them. It is basically a reversable refrigeration system. In the summer it removes the heat from inside the house and puts it outside. In the winter it removes the heat from the outside air and puts it inside. There is a good amount of heat availabe in outside air. I turn mine off at around 15 deg. F. In theory you get approx 2 to 3 times the energy (heat) than what was consumed (electricity) to run the pump. The most critical part of the system is the air ducts. If not sized right performance suffers. My electronic t'stat watches performance of the heatpump and decides if the oil furnace is needed or not. If I remember right it is looking for a 1degF change in room temp in 10 or 15 minutes if that doesn't happen it is cold out and it brings on the oil. Hope that helps.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Up here in Central Maine, I burn mostly pellets, with oil as a backup and for hot water.
I'd like to get rid of oil entirely, but the propane hot water setup isn't cheap. Most of the
oil I burn now is for hot water. The pellets heat the house beautifully; the only complaint
I really have is that it does dry the place out a bit. Those little ceramic space heaters
are very efficient at taking the chill off of a room, too.

I heat the garage with wood. Mostly I heat with deadfall and old pallets, although I am
thinning out some of the trees on my land, too. Maybe a cord or two a year to do the
garage.

No burn days?! We'd have an armed revolt in Maine if they ever tried that up here......

-Stretch
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Electricity, it's cheap and easy. I used wood for years.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

stretch, which make pellet stove is yours? How many ton do you use(I use a tad over 3 ton)
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

stretch wrote:Up here in Central Maine, I burn mostly pellets, with oil as a backup and for hot water.

The pellets heat the house beautifully; the only complaint
I really have is that it does dry the place out a bit.

-Stretch

For the dryness, get yourself an old fashioned tea kettle, one of the large ones, and just fill with water and leave it on the heater.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

No heat neccesary down here. We only had one freeze last winter.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

dr walker wrote:No heat neccesary down here. We only had one freeze last winter.

YA/ YA/ YA/ rub it in!----- dr walker :lol: :mrgreen:
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

We use a Monitor 441 (burns #1Diesel) and a Glacier Bay wood/coal stove. The Monitor will heat our home by itself till it gets to about 40 below. Not bad considering the square footage.

When I am not on the road, I keep the woodstove going so I have a place to set the pot-o-beans :D Not many things more comforting than a woodstove with a Dutch Oven sitting on top!

My well and water system is located in the same room as the heaters so we are pretty bullet proof when it comes time to hunker in and wait out the cold snaps, even if we loose power.

I am constantly dragging home wood it seems. I never seem to go hunting but go woodcutting with the rifle along. Better MoJo thataways.

I drag home a truckload of lump coal from Healy now and then and use it when it hits the minus fifty and below mark.

My best, keep the tootsies warm and the bean pot going,

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Okay, :o :shock: After hearing that I almost feel like how dr walker feels about the cold?? :lol: Holy Cow! :roll: :? :oops:
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

We use a good ol' wood burnin' stove. :D
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

44magHunter wrote:We use a good ol' wood burnin' stove. :D

MADE-- IN THE GOOD OL' USA/ FUEL-- MADE IN THE GOOD OL' USA/ PROVEN-- IN THE GOOD OL' USA! :wink:

I LIKE YOUR STYLE! :mrgreen:
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

On the farm we have natural gas as I got lucky enough to buy a place with free gas so heat, water heater and barn is heated with gas. House in Charleston has natural gas with heat pump put in last year while I was in the sand box, ovens are electric, water, and stove is gas.
It is not the critic who counts
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

madman4570 wrote:When the stuff hits the fan, Now you guys will make it fine! and also I think Doc AJ will be fine too! :lol:
That is the plan!
2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

You fellers oughta see the pre-heat systems for my vehicles. Got cords hanging out the front as big as the electrical service wire. In times of no electricity I use the ol stovepipe and propane weed burner. Works good till minus 40 when the propane gells. Even a Herman Nelson type space heater has to be pre-heated in the house in those temps.

Some days it is hardly worth it to attempt to do anything but get enough wood inside to pre-heat it enough to burn :lol:
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Heat pump using hydro electricity.
Pacific Northwest and all.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Down here in Florida we just turn off the air conditioner. :D
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Wood for heat and a wood cook stove and kerosene lamps for back up if the grid goes down. danny
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Man, its NOV already and I still had the AC on today. My house keeps a good temp most of the time and is pretty friendly on my gas / elect bills. Mainly we use just the regular furnace. In the event that doesnt get it done I have an oil filled space heater that does an awesome job and is also economical. In the event of NO ELECTRICITY, I have an 8K generator which can be hooked up to my fuse box and a kerosene heater.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ele. heat pump down to 30 degrees then the propane kicks in.
Also have a wood burning fireplace and a wood pile that's
50' long and 6' high. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I prefer not to use any heating or air conditioning, and one of the joys of living in Southern California is you rarely need to use heat. I have it pretty good in that my neighbors like to use heat so my apartment is warmed up from their heat.

Two or three times a year it gets cold enough for me to roll out my handy electric oil-filled radiator. Those things are great, mellow heat, not like space heaters, and even on the lowest setting will gently warm a big room all by itself.

When I lived in San Diego my apartment had no A/C, and the heater was a little thing stuck in the wall that had less power than most blow-driers. Yet it was enough for the occasional overnight chill (defined as anything below 60 degrees).
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Right at this moment it is 7 degrees with NW winds at 30mph(Gusts over 40mph)
That little Harman P38 is set to about 2.8 (goes to 6)
Using one bag per 24hrs at this rate.How can you beat that.
Sure beats hauling wood. So far this year have only used 40bags :D

Stove cleaned once on 12/26 had about 3 qts of ashes,that's it.

Well, 1.3 hours later it's now 80 inside,dialed it back to 2.3

Wonder what it would do on 6 ??? :lol:
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Puppy dogs. I used to call one the "bottle doggie" because she was like a portable, self-heating hot water bottle.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.