Mmmmmmm bacon.....x 2

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Mmmmmmm bacon.....x 2

Post by stew71 »

So here are the results of my early morning pig hunt on Saturday. We were on a cattle/horse ranch up near the town of Middletown, south of Clear Lake....about 2 hours from Sacramento. We set up behind some oak trees before dawn and started glassing the pastures for any sign of the piggies. About 15 minutes later, we see a group of about 15 coming towards us...just sorta wandering around in no hurry. However, a truck that drove down one of the ranch roads must have spooked them, because they took off at a fast trot....thankfully in our direction. As the herd got closer, I could just make out a huge sow in the lead...easily pushing 200 lbs. I had the scope set way down to 3x and placed the crosshairs just to the right of her head...gave her a bit more lead....BAM!!! I come back out of recoil, and off the scope as I scan for the sow. Whaaaa!!!!??? Nothing!!! WTH???? Then I realize that in my haste, I forgot to aim LOW at such close range....dohhhhhhh!!!

So, as the pigs make a hard right turn and run down along the fence line in front of us, I scan through the scope, looking for that sow.....looking...looking....There!! Rats!! She's surrounded by a lot of smaller young'uns and piglets. No chance for a clean kill there. Now the herd is coming through a break in the fence to my left...about 75 yards out. One at a time, they wiggle under the fence and down along a drainage ditch. I search...scan...There!!! A nice sow about halfway back in the herd...by herself...in the clear....give her some lead....BAM!!! Again, I come up out of recoil and I hear my wife, "You got it!! Woooohoooo!! Nice shot!!" Sure enough, way out there in the fog, I can just make out a dark lump against the light grass of the ditch. So now things start to calm down. We pick up our gear and start towards the downed sow.

Then I feel the guide tap me on the shoulder. "Turn around." he whispers. And what do I see?? Here comes Mr. Boar at a trot following his harem, with no idea that we're even nearby. I don't have a good angle on him, with the oak trees and wire fence in the way. So I double time it, rifle at the ready, safety on...down to the fence line ready for Mr. Boar. Well, he sees me draw up on him, and takes off on a flat out run for the break in the fence. I remember putting the crosshairs just ahead of his nose, squeezing gently, and BAM!!! I get a brief glimpse of him somersaulting down into the mud. Bingo!!!

Later, once we verified both pigs were down and expired, we brought the truck down with a winch so we could get these suckers back to home base. The sow was just a hair over 130lbs while Mr. Boar was spot on 250lbs. He was a nice 3 year old tusker that's spent his life getting fattened up on alfalfa, acorns, cattle feed, and wine grapes. Both are now resting comfortably in the meat locker, ready for the grill and smoker.

Sunrise....

Mrs. Sow....unfortunately I hit her in the shoulder so I ruined one of the roasts. Oh the humanity!!!!

Mr. Boar. Head shot thank you very much. No meat wasted here and the ultimate in quick clean kills. You can just see the entry hole just under his right eye.

The Happy Hunter..

Now the hard work begins....

As much as I love my lever guns, none of them are equipped with a scope. I really have trouble with the sight picture in the early morning light using iron sights so the best solution was my Remington 700 30-06. It belonged to my dad so hunting with it has a lot of special meaning for me anyways. I used a handload that really shines in this rifle. Winchester cases, Federal 210 primers, a Sierra 165gr Gameking over 47.8gr of IMR 4064. Pushes the round right at 2700 fps and will stay inside a 5" circle out to 300 yards if I do my part.

Granted, it was a guided hunt. But after getting skunked this deer season, I felt good to get into some good pig hunting even if it cost a few bucks!!

Thanks for viewing!
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
76/444

Re: Mmmmmmm bacon.....x 2

Post by 76/444 »

Nice pair of pigs, guy!!! I just took a goat milk fed gilt to U of A for butchering. She was 15 lbs when we got her and took us almost 3 months to get her up to 256lbs, live weight. Hunting one at the same return in one afternoon would be a lot more fun!!! :lol:
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

71, good shooting if you want a DIY hunt for hogs the spenceville wildlife area (state land) is between beale airforce base and penn valley its full of hogs you can get to it via hwy 49 or hwy 20 plus any of the ranches bordering it want rid of those hogs their pastures look like someone drug a 5 bottom plow thru them. danny
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Somebody took their pig out for a walk and you shot it....?... :lol:

Sorry, first thing I thought of when I looked at the pic. Nice hogs.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Somebody took their pig out for a walk and you shot it....?... :lol:
... and I bet they want their leash back! :lol:
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

"Somebody took their pig out for a walk and you shot it....?... :lol:"

Ya know, I just went back to my post and saw the leash around the sow!!! Too funny.....yeah it was the only thing we could find in the truck to drag her back across the drainage....

BigSky...yeah I grew up in Yuba City and spent some time in Spenceville chasing turkeys in my younger days...never tried it for hawgs, but now that you mention it, I may have to make a run up there this winter and see what I can stir up.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

71, outside the north gate of beale past the rifle ranges follow the road east up to the end it stops at the bear river (bridge gone) those hogs love them acorns use to shoot them by the truck load on the robinson ranch. danny
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations Stew, now ya got mean in the freezer. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Looks like a blast! I like that country around Napa. Lots of hogs in that neck of the woods. I lived near there for a couple years and quite liked it. I'd like to go pig hunting for a mid winter break from Wyoming some day.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

When you hang them and field dress them, open the cavity and stick your head in. If they smell good and sweet, you have some good eating!
"That'll Be The Day"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Somebody took their pig out for a walk and you shot it....?...
That's exactly what I thought when I saw the green dog leash around the sow's neck. Too funny.

Congrats.
Old Law Dawg
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

Nice little (big) piggies you got there. :mrgreen:
Looks like a fun hunt.
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Good work so when is the BBQ? :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice and I apprecitate your sharing of the story
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

spenceville is close enough to my place, stew71 dose a leverguns hunt sound good to you?
Break on through to the other side!!!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Somebody took their pig out for a walk and you shot it...

He did say it was a guided hunt.....just didn't tell us that it was the hogs that were being guided. :D
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

don Tomás wrote:
deerwhacker444 wrote:Somebody took their pig out for a walk and you shot it....?... :lol:
... and I bet they want their leash back! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can almost smell the bacon now! :mrgreen:
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Those are PERFECT size for eatin'. Well done, Stew. If your guide isn't familiar with the process, it's much too easy to skin piggies if you first air 'em up. Cut around the legs above the feet and use compressed air under the skin. Makes a long job very easy and quick. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

:mrgreen:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You did your fathe proud using his rifle :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Fine hunt....fine post pard...still love California & miss it. Hogs are goin' to make fine eatin'.

Like Nevada better...

Can't top that! Well done :wink:

LB