Question For Kirk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Question For Kirk

Post by Blaine »

I was wondering if your penchant for the older arms is a result of the laws in Canada being more lax for the old ones?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: Question For Kirk

Post by KirkD »

Partially. Normally, for handguns, they are classified as restricted, so although I do own a modern 1911, I can only take it to the range; I can't carry it around and shoot it anywhere I want. Antique sixguns, however, are not considered a firearm, so they do not need to be registered, one needs no permit to own them, and they can be carried and shot anywhere a normal non-restricted firearm can be carried and shot (pretty much anywhere outside of a urban area).

As far as rifles, if it is a repeater centerfire, it has to be registered. However, a bill has just been voted on in Parliament to abolish the registration of rifles, and it has passed first reading by a healthy margin. It still needs a second reading, but it should pass there as well. Thus rifles in Canada will no longer be registered, and we can sell them to anyone licensed to own a firearm directly. In Canada, we are free to sell firearms to people directly; no FFL dealers are required.

In general, firearms laws in Canada are loosening up at the moment. In some ways, the US firearms laws are much stricter. The main exception is for handguns, where ours are stricter (except for antiques).
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nice! I'm glad you have an out...does that go for replicas, as well?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

No, unless they are flintlock replicas.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Thank You......if things keep up, Canada might very well be the place to retire someday.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Kirk, what classifies a handgun as antique.
Old Law Dawg
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

kimwcook wrote:Kirk, what classifies a handgun as antique.
Made before 1898 and not on a list of current commonly available factory made calibers. For example, a 1st Gen Colt SAA in 45 Schofield is antique, but a 45 Colt is not. Same gun, a 44 Russian, or a 44 Special is antique, but not 44-40. They forgot to put 44 Special as a non-antique caliber, so it is an antique. Same with 45 ACP, they didn't list that one as a non-antique, so some fellows have cylinders made up to shoot 45 ACP. Personally, I'd take 45 Schofield over 45 ACP.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

KirkD wrote:Personally, I'd take 45 Schofield over 45 ACP.
I would too. But, I think a 44 special would be my first choice over both of those.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So a modern reproduction cap and ball revolver would be restricted?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Ysabel Kid wrote:So a modern reproduction cap and ball revolver would be restricted?
Yes.

With regard to kimwcook's comment re. 44 Special rather than the 45 Schofield, I'd be happy with a 44 Special if my first gen Colt came in that caliber. However, I can load up my 45 Schofield to duplicate 45 Colt ballistics, with the same 45 Colt bullets, so I'm happy.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

OK now I'm really confused. Just how the heck can you have a revolver made before 1898 chambered in 44 Special. It wasn't invented until 10 years after 1898....or do they consider an old pre- 1898 44-40 with a newly fitted 44 special cylinder as OK???
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

Leverluver wrote:OK now I'm really confused. Just how the heck can you have a revolver made before 1898 chambered in 44 Special. It wasn't invented until 10 years after 1898....or do they consider an old pre- 1898 44-40 with a newly fitted 44 special cylinder as OK???
For pistols, as long as the frame is pre-1898, and the caliber isn't on their "no-go" list, it's an antique. So if a person was crazy enough to rechamber a pre-1898 revolver in 357 or 44 magnum, it would still be antique.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I take it by one of Kirk's replies that the Canadian Government just screwed up and didn't list the 44 Special as a no go. Kirk can straighten it out, but I think that's what he meant.
Old Law Dawg
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

KirkD wrote:As far as rifles, if it is a repeater centerfire, it has to be registered. However, a bill has just been voted on in Parliament to abolish the registration of rifles, and it has passed first reading by a healthy margin. It still needs a second reading, but it should pass there as well. Thus rifles in Canada will no longer be registered, and we can sell them to anyone licensed to own a firearm directly. In Canada, we are free to sell firearms to people directly; no FFL dealers are required.
Actually, the bill Kirk referred to - Bill C-391- has passed first and second reading in Parliament. It now goes to committee to fine tune the legislation before going back to Parliament for third and final reading. Once passed by majority vote there, it then goes to the Canadian Senate for their ok (likely a formality as the Prime Minister will soon be able to appoint more Conservatives to the Senate (some senators are retiring) which will give the Conservatives the majority there) and when passed, essentially becomes law once the Governor General gives her ok (again, a formality as the GG almost never fails to ok anything the govt puts in front of her).

The big push will be the third reading. Once done, long gun owners will be home free.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

kimwcook wrote:I take it by one of Kirk's replies that the Canadian Government just screwed up and didn't list the 44 Special as a no go. Kirk can straighten it out, but I think that's what he meant.
You are right, although I like their screw up. When you got a bunch of bureaucrats making up laws about things they know diddly squat about, you get some pretty crazy stuff. They hardly listed any cartridges in their no-go list, so almost any modern cartridge is fine. One just needs the right cylinder. The problem i$ getting one$ hand$ on an antique $ixgun in the fir$t place ... $$$$$. What I paid for my 1st Gen Colt in 45 Schofield caliber would buy about half a dozen pretty nice modern sixguns. So I end up with one and a lot of you fellows have six of them. I don't mind too much, as I can only shoot one at a time accurately. 8)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Well Kirk, now how are you going to stuff that old Colt into that fine gunbelt rig you had made for the Smith?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15