38 WCF Loads in 1889 Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1historian
Levergunner

38 WCF Loads in 1889 Marlin

Post by 1historian »

My 1889 Marlin had a REALLY rough bore when I bought it ...so I didn't expect much for accuracy. I was pleased with my initial 50 yard group with the 38-40 Ultramax factory loads. (see target attached).

Once I emptied the factory shells...I searched for some soft lead bullets (1/20 lead /tin ratio)..which I finally tracked down in Vermont. Using 11.5 grains of 2400 I got pretty good accuracy but lots of unburned powder.

With the same bullets I tried Pyrodex P with indifferent results. The recommended 30 grains were inaccurate and didn't seem to fill the case...I tied grease cookies (olive oil and beeswax)...and finally as much pyrodex as the case would hold compressed.

Good results (sadly I haven't found a saved paper target to show) were obtained with fff Goex (holy black)
compressed loads shot accurately for multiple rounds without cleaning on reduced iron critters out to 75 yards...(great fun that kind of plinking.)(all offhand shooting with the old open sights)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.