My .357 Mag. is now a Max.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

My .357 Mag. is now a Max.

Post by Swampman »

My .357 Handi is now a .357 Max. It took about 15 minutes.

Thanks to GBOs quickdtoo for his help.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My .357 Mag. is now a Max.

Post by 2ndovc »

So how does that work?

I just got my first HandiRifle in .22 Hornet and was going to send it in for a .357m and .308 barrel.

Want to convert it to Max but have VERY limited metal working experience!

More info if you please!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You are gonna like the .357 Maximum!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I've always wished someone, preferable Winchester or Rossi, would chamber a lever gun in the Max. I've always admired that cartridge.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just be sure your FRAME is not the "shotgun & .44 Mag" kind that has (supposedly) less strength, and a larger firing-pin hole. Supposedly that isn't a good thing, because the .357 Max has much higher pressures.

Still it is a great round - kind of the .357 version of the .444 Marlin... 8)

Maybe one of these days a company will make a nice intermediate-length, high-pressure action capable of handling it (and the .460 S&W or .500 S&W could be its 'big brother').
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Cool 8) Now you just need to get to the range and give us a report.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

What's the shortest COAL it will cycle now?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, I don't know about the Handirifles but my Contender .357 Maximum will handle .38 Colt length cartridges... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

Hobie wrote:Well, I don't know about the Handirifles but my Contender .357 Maximum will handle .38 Colt length cartridges... :wink:
My fault. Single shot. Didn't read carefully.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

2ndovc wrote:So how does that work?

I just got my first HandiRifle in .22 Hornet and was going to send it in for a .357m and .308 barrel.

Want to convert it to Max but have VERY limited metal working experience!

More info if you please!

jb 8)
I'll let swampman give you the details but its a simple operation. You get a finishing reamer, clamp the barrel chamber-up in a vice and using lots of cutting oil slowly cut the new chamber with the reamer. With the handirifle its cake as the barrel is easily removed so you have direct access to the chamber without obstruction.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

That pretty much covers it. A member of the Graybeard Outdoors Handi Rifle forum has been loaning out his personal reamer for a donation of $20.00 to support the forum.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

wavetrain75 wrote:
Hobie wrote:Well, I don't know about the Handirifles but my Contender .357 Maximum will handle .38 Colt length cartridges... :wink:
My fault. Single shot. Didn't read carefully.
:wink: I do that now and then, too! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

[quote="AJMD429"]Just be sure your FRAME is not the "shotgun & .44 Mag" kind that has (supposedly) less strength, and a larger firing-pin hole. Supposedly that isn't a good thing, because the .357 Max has much higher pressures.

Still it is a great round - kind of the .357 version of the .444 Marlin... 8)

Maybe one of these days a company will make a nice intermediate-length, high-pressure action capable of handling it (and the .460 S&W or .500 S&W could be its 'big brother').[/quote]

x 2. I wish marlin would make such an action, and bring the .357 maximum ot of limbo. Heck, if the new working of the action on the previous post it could possiably feed .38 LC through .357 max. Ahh but i'm just dreaming.

Rifleman 336

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Swampman wrote:That pretty much covers it. A member of the Graybeard Outdoors Handi Rifle forum has been loaning out his personal reamer for a donation of $20.00 to support the forum.

Is this done with a drill? Lathe? By hand?

jason 8)

Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

By hand with a t-handle.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!!

Thanks.

jb 8)

bearhunter
Levergunner

Post by bearhunter »

firefuzz wrote:I've always wished someone, preferable Winchester or Rossi, would chamber a lever gun in the Max. I've always admired that cartridge.

Rob

I'd buy that in a heartbeat!
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I have to ask why you think Marlin should offer one? They are already making the 35 Rem. Just curious as to what the advantage would be :D .
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

There reference is to the 94 action, not the 95 or 336.
They want the light weight carbine that feed a very nasty 35 caliber round for it's size.

I have a Maxie barrel for my TC Contender. Mine is a short barrel, 8" tapered octagon. This is quite a handful with a 200 gr. spitzer Hornady 35 cal. rifle bullet.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
BoxxerBoyDrew
Levergunner

Post by BoxxerBoyDrew »

The 357Max in a lever Gun would be cool!

Wes, to answer your question about the Max over the 35Rem, My answer would be that it is a straight wall cartridge, so NO LUBE needed to resize with carbide dies, if ya don't need the power of the 35 but ya need more than the 357Mag, it is a efficient cartridge, and most sets of 38spcl and 357mag dies will size the max, so no extra dies needed if Ya got a 357 all ready, less recoil than the 35 too, and it is a COOL round! :wink:

This is my first post here, and I have to say this is a COOL FORUM!!! I have been into T/C for quite a while but I now have a lever gun too, and I will probably have a lot of questions! So be patient with me! :wink:

Take Care and Merry Christmas to ALL!!!
Drew
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Wes wrote:I have to ask why you think Marlin should offer one? They are already making the 35 Rem. Just curious as to what the advantage would be :D .
Because the .35 Remington won't fit in a '92 Winchester, THE KING OF ALL LEVER ACTIONS, :lol:. If ya don't believe me just ask yourself, "Did you ever see the Duke carrying a Marlin?" :wink:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Good one firefuzz :lol:. I have a couple 92 guns and like them a lot. One 44-40 and a 218 Bee. Great rifles. But i do still like Marlins as well.
I guess the straight wall thing would be nice with a carbide sizer. Never thought of that. What kind of performance would you be talking here out of a 20" rifle barrel?
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Get a 454 and a 357 barrel. Replace the 454 barrel with the 357 barrel and rechamber to a .357 wildcat 1.83" long. It won't be 1.6" of the 357 Maximum but it will be a lot more powerful than the 357. That is probably as close as you will get to a more powerful .357 cartridge in a model 92. Otherwise the 35 Rem in a Marlin 336 is only 1 inch longer and 0.5 lbs heavier than a 94 Cowboy in 357. The 336 would be cheaper than a custom 92. Or you could have a 92 made up in 454/357 wildcat but that would be expensive too. It migt give the 35 remington a run for its money.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Welcome to the forum Drew!

For anyone that's interested you can already get a Handi Rifle fromt eh factory in .500 S&W.

From what people have been posting on GBO about the Max out of a Handi Rifle it's already midway up in the charts of what a .35 Rem. will do.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.