OT: Fitting a hammer handle - all fixed w/ pic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Fitting a hammer handle - all fixed w/ pic

Post by J Miller »

I have a small hammer head that is flat on the one side and angled to a sort of a point on the other. A very handy hammer. I broke the handle so I'm gonna put a new on on it.

Now, I've never been good at fitting hammer handles. What is the best way to fit the handle to the head? As it sits the new handle is somewhat larger than the hole in the hammer head.

So, any suggestions?

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Fitting a new handle to a small hammer head

Post by iceman »

If the handle is a lot larger than the hole place the head on top of the handle and with a sharp pencil trace the hole onto the top of the handle. With a spoke shave or a sharp knife, trim the wood to the line. Try and shape it a little larger near the handle end. Once it fits snug, with the head down, tap the end of the handle with a plastic hammer or wooden mallet to drive the head onto the handle. Cut off any protruding wood and install a wedge to expand the handle and you are done. Some people soak the finished job in water to expand the wood.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

If you use a hardwood wedge for your handle, apply some carpenters wood glue to the wedge before you drive it in place. I am a framing carpenter by trade(before i was laid off). I use a wood handled hammer for work, it is a Stilleto titanium, cast by Ruger. When I started glueing the wedge in place, I was able to get two or three more months out of each handle before it would start to loosen. Good luck. Kevin
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A hammer head by Ruger??? Who's a thunk it??

Is it marked "Ruger" on it somewhere or do you just have to know it is?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

don't soak a wooden handle on anything in water,
when it dries out it will be looser than when you started.
if you want to soak it in something try anti-freeze,
THEY say it won't dry out and shrink the wood.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Use some acraglass on it, it will fit perfectly and NEVER come out.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

jnyork wrote:Use some acraglass on it, it will fit perfectly and NEVER come out.
Better hope you never break the handle, did that once :mrgreen:

Also putting several drops of BLO or tung oil on the top of the handle over several days will help it to swell and not dry out, repeat as necessary.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If there isn't already a cut in the head end of the handle, cut one with a saw before fitting the head and installing the wedge. I use a wooden wedge in the cut, the same width as the handle diameter, and then a metal one that goes cross-ways to the wooden one and is just maybe 1/4" wide. They sell 'kits' at most hardware stores with the two kinds of wedges. If they only come with a spare handle, you can always use the handle for something else anyway.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

soaking a loose hammer head in old motor oil will swell the head up... and it lubricates the wood grain in the handle.

I have a ball peen that is almost unbreakable after 20 years of heavy duty use...
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Hey Rusty, Yes, Ruger cast their name right into the side of the hammer head. They apparently were the only ones at the time who knew how to cast titanium. I bought this hammer in 2001. I do not think that current production Stilleto hammers have the Ruger name on them. Kevin
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I usually fit the handle to the opening by using my belt sander to shape it. Just trial and fit. Then once it's close fit I cut a slot lengthwise in the end of the handle and shove it into the hammer head. This lets the handle go in easier, plus it provides a place to drive a wedge in that wont split the wood. If you drive a wedge in without relieving it first the wood will actually be weakened and the handle wont last long.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Joe, I have to ask. This broken hammer wouldn't have anything to do with your recent medical procedure, would it? :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

nemhed wrote:Joe, I have to ask. This broken hammer wouldn't have anything to do with your recent medical procedure, would it? :wink:
Ahhhh, noooo not hardly.

Just an ancient little Stanley hammer that I've had for decades and the old handle just gave it up.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

If you really want a handle to last cap a chunk of plastic pipe and fill it with 1/2 and 1/2 linseed oil and turpentine and soak the handle for about a month before fitting it. Then fit as noted and cover the end grain with varnish. Gramps use to keep the spare ax handles in the fuel pil barrel for a while before fitting. This keeps the moisture from alternatly expanding and shrinking the wood. If you take care of the hammer after this kind of fitting it will last for a LONG time, I have 30 years on one in my shop.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

I was taught the same as KCSO except didn't cut the linseed oil ,until the handle breaks it will never loosen and that will depend on the wood quality and grain
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Joe, this is sad news indeed.

You broke your primory Marlin adjusting tool! It must be like being with out your right arm :lol: :lol: :lol:

N :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

gimdandy wrote:I was taught the same as KCSO except didn't cut the linseed oil ,until the handle breaks it will never loosen and that will depend on the wood quality and grain

gimdandy,
Well, I'm gonna get me some linseed oil and do that. The new handle is Made in U.S.A. out of hickory so it can't be all that bad I guess.
Nath wrote:Joe, this is sad news indeed.

You broke your primory Marlin adjusting tool! It must be like being with out your right arm :lol: :lol: :lol:

N :lol:
Nath, I know. This is terrible. But I have to look on the brite side, I've still got the 3# sledge I use to adjust the Winchesters with. :twisted: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT: Fitting a hammer handle - all fixed w/ pic

Post by J Miller »

All fixed, thanks for the tips.
I didn't have any linseed oil, but I'll get some.
IMG_0057.JPG
Old handle below, new in hammer. Made in Indiana too. Wow!
I've used this hammer for so long I honestly cannot remember where or when I got it. I think it was used even then. So I think I got my monies worth.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Ya dun good, Joe. I have a hand forged "fence hatchet" about 120 yrs old that needs a handle. I dread the process of fitting it up properly, but can't let it go away. Ought to be good for at least another 100 years if I spend the time to do it right.
Certified gun nut
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Good job!!
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

At your lumber yard or hardware store you can find a product called "Chair Lock". It comes in a little plastic squeeze bottle. It is a kind of resin that soaks into the wood fibers and dries, so they can't shrink. I've had one bottle for more than thirty years and used it on every tool handle I have and most of the chair rungs in the house. I haven't had to re-tighten any of them.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

adirondakjack wrote:Ya dun good, Joe. I have a hand forged "fence hatchet" about 120 yrs old that needs a handle. I dread the process of fitting it up properly, but can't let it go away. Ought to be good for at least another 100 years if I spend the time to do it right.
I have an ancient hand axe head out in the garage that needs a handle too. I think I may have a new handle but I also may have used it in the past.
Ahhh, another project for the roundtoit list.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

765x53 wrote:At your lumber yard or hardware store you can find a product called "Chair Lock". It comes in a little plastic squeeze bottle. It is a kind of resin that soaks into the wood fibers and dries, so they can't shrink. I've had one bottle for more than thirty years and used it on every tool handle I have and most of the chair rungs in the house. I haven't had to re-tighten any of them.
Thanks for tip, I have a ball pein hammer that's a bit loose, I'll check out the "Chair Lock".

Joe
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Joe, IIRC ,that type hammer is called a Cross Peen.
I have a couple myself. One of about 2 oz. I made while in the army and one of about 2lb. that is as old as me (63) and still going strong. Great for seating those ornery Winchester primers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Chuck is right its a cross peen and a nice looking one too. Do you do any metal work?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JReed wrote:Chuck is right its a cross peen and a nice looking one too. Do you do any metal work?

Occasionally, but not as a rule. About the only time is if I'm fixing something.
A cross peen hammer, I've never heard that name. Today I've learned something new. Cool.

Joe
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

How'd you find time to fix a hammer in between all those medical adventures...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

AJMD429 wrote:How'd you find time to fix a hammer in between all those medical adventures...?
Dont you know Joe is multi talented. :wink:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My medical adventures are over. At least for a while.

I did the hammer after all the Dr visits were over.

JReed,
What is a cross pein hammer used for?

Joe
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

J Miller wrote: I've used this hammer for so long I honestly cannot remember where or when I got it. I think it was used even then. So I think I got my monies worth.

Joe
Back around 1980, my dad was bragging to a friend about how well his 1960 Ford Falcon station wagon had held up over the years and had moved the family from Texas to Montana to Nebraska and back again. The friend said,

"My dad had a good axe one time. He replaced the handle three times and the head twice, but it sure was a good axe."

Let the wind right out of my ole Dad's sails.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

vancelw wrote:
J Miller wrote: I've used this hammer for so long I honestly cannot remember where or when I got it. I think it was used even then. So I think I got my monies worth.

Joe
Back around 1980, my dad was bragging to a friend about how well his 1960 Ford Falcon station wagon had held up over the years and had moved the family from Texas to Montana to Nebraska and back again. The friend said,

"My dad had a good axe one time. He replaced the handle three times and the head twice, but it sure was a good axe."

Let the wind right out of my ole Dad's sails.
Vance,
Strangely I was thinking of that same story as I put the new handle in my old hammer head. At least this is the original head.

Joe
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'm a pack rat and won't throw anything away (ask my wife.)

If I have something that I would have to spend 10 dollars and 2 hours to fix, or I could throw it away and buy a new "improved" one for 12 dollars, I'll spend the time to fix it. I've got old axes, hoes, sledges, etc. that I will continue to repair. By BIL is a rancher and uses those irrigation shovels that cost 50 or 60 bucks. The quality of them has gone down drastically over the years. When I go visit him I spend a little time replacing handles and even welding or sharpening shovels for him, because it's got to where he can't afford to replace them. He's not real handy and doesn't like to take the time to repair/replace them himself.

I worked for Union Pacific for a year on a switch and crossing gang. Got LOTS of practice replacing maul handles.

I'm glad to see anyone repair something rather than chunking it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

A nice light cross peen blacksmiths hammer. That should work well for most general use in the shop and should last you a long time now. Looking at the old handle it looks motor oil soaked and that probably weakened it.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Thats a "tinners" hammer...mostly used in sheet metal and tin smith work.

Made one myself way back when.. High School machine shop project. need to take a pic and post it here.

Joe Miller... I missed the update. Can you set square on your buttcheeks yet?

J
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I used to have a hammer like that I made in metal shop in high school.
I used it until the handle, wich was steel just broke. I shortened it and rethreaded the end and used it again till it broke. After that I have no idea what happened to it. Then sometime many many summers ago I got this one. When I got it it was already rusted and the handle was black. That was ... who knows how long ago. I was at the ACE hardware store again today and they do not have any hammers like this.
I wonder if they are extinct?

I did get some of the "Chair Lock" stuff though. It cost almost $10.00 for the tube. My wife almost blew a gasket. So we'll have to fix some of her chairs with it I guess.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hillbilly wrote:Thats a "tinners" hammer...mostly used in sheet metal and tin smith work.

Made one myself way back when.. High School machine shop project. need to take a pic and post it here.

Joe Miller... I missed the update. Can you set square on your buttcheeks yet?

J
You posted as I was typing. I made one in high school shop too.

Yes, my posterior is doing fine. The Dr was quite good I guess, I've felt no discomfort at all from the procedures.

Joe