Rossi .45 Colt whitetail load

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Rossi .45 Colt whitetail load

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I just got a Rossi 92 in .454 and looked around for a .45 load since I couldn't find any .454 brass in time to finish the season. The 47th. edition of Lyman's "Reloading Handbook" had a load listed for a 250 gr. JHP and 2400 powder. I had a box of Hornady 250 gr. XTP bulets and I had used 2400 in the past so I bought a pound and loaded up 50 rounds using once fired Remington-Peters brass and Winchester large pistol primers. The maximum powder charge was 22.0 grains and this was a load for the TC Contender which gives 1410 feet per second from a 10" barrel. Using Lyman's data from the same manual the final velocity from a 20" barrel should be about 100 FPS faster giving a muzzle energy of 1266 ft.-lbs. For comparison my hunting load for my .32 Special model 94 is a 170 gr. soft nose at 2159 FPS for 1759 ft.-lbs. I found a couple of minutes to spare this afternoon so I went out and fired a few rounds. I started with a couple of my cowboy loads (4.2 gr. Clays, 250 gr. bullet) which have almost no recoil and went on to fire 4 of the hunting loads. I was looking for possible signs of high presure since the Lyman book doesn't list pressures for the loads but found absolutly no signs of excessive pressure. I would describe the recoil of this load as mild. You would have no problems spending an afternoon at the range which came as a mild supprise. I had anticipated more recoil since a favorite load for my .41 magnum S&W was 20 gr. of 2400 with a 210 gr. Speer JHP and it let you (and everyone else) know when it went off. I remember seeing a load for the 250 gr. JHP .45 Colt using 23.3 gr. of 2400 in a Contender but couldn't locate it anywhere to verify the loading or I might have tried it.
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Rossi .45 Colt whitetail load

Post by Camp Cook »

I use H110 in my top 45 Colt loads.

A safe H110 load for your Puma M92 and Ruger SRH/250gr XTP's would be 24grs H110 I have shot many of these in my Puma M92/SRH's.

When you compare that I load 38grs H110 in my 240gr XTP-Mag 454 Casull loads the Puma M92 will handle these loads with ease...

edited because I didn't have my morning coffee before I posted and I should have had it before I posted my response... :lol:
Last edited by Camp Cook on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Camp Cook,

H110 was my first choice but there wasn't any avliable anywhere near here and the reloading supply dealer was completely out of powder till last week. I was lucky to get the 2400. I tried the gun yesterday and the rounds fed flawlessly. I can't comment on groups as I was shooting off a tripod at 25 yards. I was hoping to sight it in close enough to hunt with. I was shooting into the sun with a temperature of 30 and a 10-15 mph cross breeze so I gave up (my fingers did) after 15 or so rounds. It was necessary to completely remove the sight elevator to even come close with the elevation.
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

You should find your loads are very accurate and safe I have never had an inaccurate load in my rifle.

Do you have the stock fiber optic sights on your rifle?

I hated the rear fiber optic sight on mine it was the worst piece of cr*p I had ever used so I removed it and installed the rear sight off of my Marlin 1895GS which fit perfectly.

Here is a 3 shot 100 yard group that I shot last week (the squares are 1") with my 20" Puma M92 the load was 38grs H110 with 240 XTP-Mag's, Rem 7.5 primers and crimped with a Lee factory crimp die 1 1/4 turn adjustment muzzle velocity averaged 2350fps to 2400fps.

Last edited by Camp Cook on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That'll certainly do for whitetail and hogs.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
I cast my own BUT I use 2400 in both my Rossi's with a 265 gr bullet (Lee round flat nose 50/50 WW & lead) . A 240 XPT should do as well penetrating and disrupting tissue. I found 19/20 grains very accurate. I cannot imagine any whitetail under 350 pounds walking far after taking one of those through both lungs/heart. Nice mild load that does not uproot any trees when fired.
All my hunting is in river bottoms so a 70 yard shot is as far as I will see a 4 legged corn muncher. Farthest deer I have ever shot was at 33 yards. We do not have any tough hide critters about... If there were I would just up my charge to about 22 grains and fire for effect. If I need more power I get out the 45-70.
Hunters used the 44-40 (Black Powder) with 200 grain (+ -) bullets for 50 years on all sorts of criters and had few problems with chest shots. And last Buck I stuck with an arrow still did not have any kevlar on. He was troting up the creek at a whole 7 yards away. It does not take a whole lot to penetrate a white tail unless you are in the habit of shooting then "through the rear engine covers". I personally just try to get closer and have not needed 2 shots on any gun shot deer except one that I hit through the spine so I terminated the affair with a head shot about a minute later. It took me that long to reload my 58 muzzle loader & close to 10 yards.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.