rifle slings......?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
buxman66
Levergunner

rifle slings......?

Post by buxman66 »

just bought a leather cobra sling for my '94ae winny.i personally prefer the rifle w/ a sling.....how come most pics on here show most of your leverguns sans slings? now come on, all you guys aint got horses and the rifle stays in a scabbard does it? :lol: what is the preferences out there? sorry,got to mention it.....pics or it dont exist!! :lol:
badges?...badges? we don't need no steeekin' badges!
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Re: rifle slings......?

Post by Rifleman »

I have just got one sling, which I took off of mu Eddystone and stuck on my Howa. I used to have a home made sling but took it off a few years ago. The 94 isn't heavy, I'll just carry it.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

The only rifle I have with a sling is my Browning BLR, and i use it as a shooting sling not just a carry strap.

I've been known to stick a Model 94 Winchester or my Rossi M-92 SRC in my belt when walking into or out of the woods.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doc Hudson wrote:I've been known to stick a Model 94 Winchester or my Rossi M-92 SRC in my belt when walking into or out of the woods.
I've sometimes thought they should make a 'hook' for your belt so you could use the ring that way... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Although a sling is a useful thing, most of the time I find it an impediment, and only a couple of my larger/heavier rifles wear them all the time. For most of my rifles, I use slip-on/slip-off shotgun-type slings I made from heavy-duty elastic bungee cords. These are light weight, easy to roll up and stick in a coat pocket or daypack, and can be put on or removed in a couple of seconds whenever needed. The rest of the time the rifle is in my hands, where it should be while hunting, and the sling is stowed where it won't be swinging around or catching on brush as I move.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

I like the Montana Sling... really easy to size down for storage... push 'em forward to the front stud and they are the perfect length for left-shoulder, muzzle-down carry (my preference) and for hasty-sling, shooting aid use.

I would never use a sling that was just a carry-strap... half the point is stabilizing off-hand shooting.

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I always carry one, but it is not always on my rifle. I think every hunter should have one with.They are a valuable thing when dragging your Buck.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

All my rifles have slings. I learned many years ago to shoot with a sling and still do. I use the military adjustable sling.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

All my rifles are sling ready, but I don't always have it on the rifle. I have found that if I sling my rifle on my shoulder, I most likely will see a deer. :D :D I usually carry muzzle down on right side (I'm left handed) quick to bring rifle up and prevents snagging on low branches etc.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

buxman66,

I put QD sling mounts on several lever guns in the past. Found out I never used them so I haven't put any on in years.

I usually just carry the rifles, they aren't heavy and if they don't have a scope on them they carry very well.

If and when I get out of IL and can start hunting again I may put a sling on mine or get one of those removable slings. But as a rule, I just don't put slings on my lever guns.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

would'nt leave home with out one. i learned to shoot off hand with a sling. in my case, it dramatically increases my aaccuracy.
buxman66
Levergunner

Post by buxman66 »

some good replies! alot of us have military backgrounds/hunting backgrounds and have learned the way to shoot properly using a sling.proper use of a sling can and will stabilize you to shoot offhand.most people forget that and consider shouldering their rifle w/a sling as its only function.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

buxman66 wrote:just bought a leather cobra sling for my '94ae winny.i personally prefer the rifle w/ a sling.....how come most pics on here show most of your leverguns sans slings? now come on, all you guys aint got horses and the rifle stays in a scabbard does it? :lol: what is the preferences out there? sorry,got to mention it.....pics or it dont exist!! :lol:

I've posted this one several times. The sling and buttstock cover are by Levergun Leatherworks. Lever does really good work. The loops on the sling make it pretty impossible to walk off without any ammo. Come on guys, fess up, I'm not the only one whose walked away from the jeep and later found out I had forgotten to load my rifle.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
buxman66
Levergunner

Post by buxman66 »

now that there is nice jeepnik!! you got a link to that leverguns leather place, or is it a landline business only? very nice weapon tho.....! 8)
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

buxman66
Levergunner

Post by buxman66 »

ver nice! thanks for the link also,i got it in my favorites! :D
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Another recommendation for the Montana sling. I've got several and love em.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

All my rifles have slings, and when hunting I almost never take offhand shots.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

nemhed wrote:All my rifles have slings, and when hunting I almost never take offhand shots.
I hear that. You can almost always find some sort of support (fence post, tree, limb, etc.) while taking a shot when hunting. Sure, offhand shots sometimes have to be taken but they are the exception not the norm.
ED
Yer never too old
buxman66
Levergunner

Post by buxman66 »

this thread was intended to only see some of the setups that you guys have as related to leverguns.good ole "murdoc ed" has im'ed me as to my previous reply in another thread and inadvertantly brought it to this discussion. a sling can have more value to it other than to throw it over your shoulder,(in regards to steadying a position) as i learned it in basic training!!!! ed!! :roll:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

buxman66 wrote:this thread was intended to only see some of the setups that you guys have as related to leverguns.good ole "murdoc ed" has im'ed me as to my previous reply in another thread and inadvertantly brought it to this discussion. a sling can have more value to it other than to throw it over your shoulder,(in regards to steadying a position) as i learned it in basic training!!!! ed!! :roll:
I know, I know. Can't put my finger on it but for some reason today I've been overly grouchy which is nobody's problem but my own so I shouldn't have taken it out on you. My problem not yours.

Slings do have a purpose of course. I usually carry one in my pocket or butt pack and will use it when I need both hands free for primarily navigation. Hardly ever use it to shoot with.
ED
Yer never too old
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

...now come on, all you guys aint got horses and the rifle stays in a scabbard does it?
As a matter of fact...

Even when not attached to a horse, this is how I tote it in the truck.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Around here it seems most people use a ATV to hunt so they probably don't needs slings either. :wink:
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Most of my levers ar slung with Montana Sligs. I really like them.

8)
Last edited by Pathfinder09 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there buxman66 - I'm a big fan of the old G.I. Garand web sling. Simple to get on and off, simple to adjust, and not to slippery when slung. Probably not the most stylish though. Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buxman66
Levergunner

Post by buxman66 »

awful nice setup you got there 20cows!! you make me envious for the wide expanse of texas.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

OK, I'm back home and have access to my pics - here's a Montana sling on my Marlin 94 44Mag:

These are very well made of quality leather. They are very stiff (as they should be) when new, so I routinely soak them with olive oil, which softens them to just the right amount. I really like olive oil as it soaks in readily and seems to prevent the formation of mold on the leather. I've used saddle soap to clean older military slings and they form mold, so I don't use it any more. Olive oil cleans and softens the leather - yes, it does darken it some but I like that too.

The one in the pic above is new and sans olive oil - but that's been rectified. ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!