Way OT: Which one would you choose?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Way OT: Which one would you choose?

Post by bigbore442001 »

Beginning Blacksmithing
Friday, 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM
2/8/2008 to 4/11/2008, 10 classes

Ian Henderson / Beginner / Metals Studio
Member Fee: $299.00 / Non-Member Fee: $339.00
Studio Fee: $15.00

There's a certain timeless romanticism to the ringing of hammer and anvil, the roaring glow of the forge...This class will cover traditional tricks and founding principles, from making your own working tools to the elaborate (but deceptively simple) twists and flourishes seen in architectural ironwork. Students will execute a series of guided projects to familiarize themselves with ironwork and its possibilities before embarking on a project of their own design. Class limited to 8. Materials not included.

Or...

Knifemaking
Tuesday, 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM
2/5/2008 to 4/8/2008, 10 classes

Chuck Gedraitis / All Levels / Metals Studio
Member Fee: $299.00 / Non-Member Fee: $339.00
Studio Fee: $15.00

This course will introduce the basic techniques for hand forging knives and fine-edged tools. A variety of construction methods and finishing techniques will be presented to produce a quality hand-crafted tool or knife. This course will cover metal selection and design of a functional blade, handle or guard. Demonstrations will include forging, shaping, grinding, tempering and polishing. Class is limited to 8 students. Materials not included.

REGISTER NOW! 508-753-8183

I have always preached to the young people under my tutelage to have more than one skill, to have a back up plan and be flexible. In all honesty, in my own assessment I am lacking in other skills. I was sort of daydreaming and thinking about this spring and the opportunity to try something new.

Sooo. What course would you pick if you could only pick one due to the time and money constraints. Thanks.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'd take the knifemaking class. I've forged a few myself and love it.
Old Law Dawg
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Both great ideas, and a tough choice.
What would muddy the waters for me is my latent desire to work metal into usable objects, much like I do wood. Knives have always been on my person, ever since I worked in a warehouse as a teen, and while I really like the fancy spring assisted works of art I see in the stores, I know that a Mora would do the same thing without the incredible price tag. I also think, "Gee, I could heat, hammer and shape metal, why don't I make my own?" Then I could have the fun of shaping wood or bone into a handle, and there's nothing I enjoy more than working with a block plane/rasp/sandpaper to shape things! The thought of leather work is attractive, too.
I also enjoy boat building and things boat related (like fishing) . There's a lot of fittings and such that the old timers like Pete Culler, Wes Farmer, Nat Herreshoff, and John Gardner would tell you to shape with your own hands, involving basic annealing, hardening, peening, and galvanizing that the blacksmithing workshop would address.
Sorry :? , I was no help at all!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Knifemaking without question.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Blacksmithing. Precursor skills to knifemaking AND potentially more useful and salable in a low tech economy. Plus, it is just plain fun.

Knifemaking is really just a bit more attention to tempering, some design study, joining handle to knife, and polishing. I'm sure somebody will think I've over simplified this but...

I'd start with blacksmithing.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Either one would be great, but I would probably go with knifemaking.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I'm gonna take a different tack from the others. I recommend taking the beginning blacksmithing. It will give you more backround into working with metals(not just steel) than the knife making class. It "should" teach the operation of all the tools(really talking about more than just a hammer, tongs, and anvil, here) and the whole process of metalworking in all materials.

IMO taking the knifemaking course first is putting the cart before the horse. Take that course next, though you'll probably find, you don't need to.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

Great question!

I've been slowly accumulating the materials to start forging knives but have to admit that I have never put hammer to hot steel. I think I would take both! Get the fundamentals of forging from the first class and focus on blade forging in the second.

A great book that will give you some of the fundamentals is "The Fifty Dollar Knife Shop" by Wayne Goddard. He is a regular contributor to Blade Magazine and got his start in knife making as a hobby but later turned pro.

I got the fever and made this knife a few years ago by grinding.
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

As a reformed amateur knife maker,I would go for the knifemaking class,slow learner :roll: Doug
a armed man is his own master
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I would definitely start with the blacksmithing class. It realy helps a student gain an understanding of steel.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I would take the knifemaking class. I've been wanting to take one, but I don't know if there are any in my area. I live in Roswell, NM and if any of y'all have ever been out this way, y'all know there ain't much of anything out here. I just don't think I could pass up the knifemaking class
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

+1 on BuffBoys statement
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Personally, I'd be lookin' real close at the blacksmithing class.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

If it is a comprehensive knifemaking class and not a grinding and polishing class. Then the knifemaking class will teach most of the basics of blacksmithing.
ImageImageImage
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

Blacksmithing and knife making are two seperate things.

Where blacksmithing will teach welding, cutting, and shaping, the knife making course will teach 'pre-cutting', tempering, anealing, hardening, straightening of warped steels, and be much more educational. There is a LOT more to making knifes, than horseshoes.

I guess it depends on what you wish to accomplish by completing the course.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I would definitely go for the knifemaking class!! I have wanted to make knives since I was a kid, but don't know the first thing about it!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I love metal work, I would start with that and it would lead into knifemaking.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I think I'd be looking into the blacksmithing first. Knife makings more specialized but you'll still use things you learned in the smithing class.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Blacksmithing first. As noted by others, the skills will form the basis for a lot of other classes, including the knifemaking. :D
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

If i had the time i would do both...
big bucks in both trades....
At the Orlando gun show many were selling custom knives...
prices ranged fron 100 to 2000 buck for Randel knives...
And lately in custom homes we are seeing ornimental iron..gates
fences, etc....
besides its could to have mulitiple trades...
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Blacksmithing..With it you can learn to make just about any kind of hand tool.. after you get the basics of anealing, hardening, tempering, Scissors , Knives, Hammers, Hatchets, ..You can even make springs too..It's all fun stuff if ya like to whip steel..