1858 converted to .45colt... jacketed bullets or no?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
m48shooter
Levergunner

1858 converted to .45colt... jacketed bullets or no?

Post by m48shooter »

i started this question in a different post, i converted and 1858 bp .44 with a krist kit to .45colt... btw these are not drop in kits, and took a bit of fitting and tuning, but i have always enjoyed this being an amuter gun monkey... thank you again charlie for the volc thread... if you have not read it.. do so now... he is a man among men

i have not slugged the bbl, anyone know the bore dia for bp .44's, i have 200gr jacketed flat tips .452 that i am planning on running through it at standard colt pressures, but think i heard some where not to run jacketed bullets through the conversions....

so far i have only run soft lead cowboy loads through it.. great shooter, but have a nice stash of the jacketed bullets and need to know if i should just buy lead only or if these will be safe to shoot..

thanks again guys...
A human being should be able to change a diaper,plan an invasion,butcher a hog,conn a ship,write a sonnet,balance accounts,build a wall,comfort the dying,take orders,give orders,cooperate,act alone,solve equations,pitch manure,program a computer,cook a tasty meal,fight efficiently,die gallantly.Specialization is for insects.
RH
Ysabel Kid

Re: 1858 converted to .45colt... jacketed bullets or no?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Who made your 1858? I am assuming it is a reproduction. I think I'd stick with lead bullets, or maybe a couple light-loaded jacketed fodder - just nothing stout. The gun, with its top-strap, is a stronger action than the Colt 1860 Army, but still, it was never designed for anything near modern heavy .45 Colt loads.

Now, if this was an "1858-type", i.e. - the Ruger Old Army - it can probably take more! :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Slug the bore. Stick with lead. Keep the loads down to those piddly factory levels. IOW, no hot-rodding that gun.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Slug the bore, it can be .449"-454". They were made to shoot .451" or .454" lead balls.

If it is a Pietta, most likely a .449"-.450"

A uberti, .451"-.452"

I would not shoot jacketed bullets. If it were a Ruger OMA, they are stout enough.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Stick with lead bullets at blackpowder velocities.

in fact it would be a good idea to stick with the black stuff.

I believe that most if not all conversion cylinder makers tell you to keep pressures down. Correct?
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
m48shooter
Levergunner

Post by m48shooter »

1858 pietta repro... was someone's kit gun the shop put in the back knowing my bp sickness... i run std cowboy lead loads with it... just wanted to know if i could run my 250 copper plated ft through it... not planning on hot rodding it, thats why i picked up the bh.... thx for the info gents, ill try to get some pics up....
A human being should be able to change a diaper,plan an invasion,butcher a hog,conn a ship,write a sonnet,balance accounts,build a wall,comfort the dying,take orders,give orders,cooperate,act alone,solve equations,pitch manure,program a computer,cook a tasty meal,fight efficiently,die gallantly.Specialization is for insects.
RH