Winchester 1886 45/70 some ?'s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
longshotz
Levergunner

Winchester 1886 45/70 some ?'s

Post by longshotz »

Can the current offering by Winchester of the 1886 lever-gun take a scope mounting?
How 'bout cast bullets? Any input. experience or advice with that?
Is this an angle eject gun? Website doesn't say.
Thanks all.
Look twice, shoot once
Hobie

Re: Winchester 1886 45/70 some ?'s

Post by Hobie »

What sort of scope and mount do you want? How many holes do you want to drill?

The ONLY AE Winchester guns are 94s.

Why would you NOT be able to use cast bullets?

:?:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

longshotz wrote:Can the current offering by Winchester of the 1886 lever-gun take a scope mounting?
Yes you can mount a 'scope on an '86. You'll have to go with a side mount, or something ahead of the receiver. like a "scout" set up.

I shoot CAST bullets exclusively in my '86, and it will plunk 'em into a 2" circle at 100 yards -- easy. I shoot mostly Oregon Trail 405 grainers, but have a stash of Cast Performance 440s that I'm kinda hoarding.

The '86 IS NOT an "angle eject" rifle. THANK GOD!

Thanks all.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
longshotz
Levergunner

Post by longshotz »

Buck Elliott wrote:
longshotz wrote:Can the current offering by Winchester of the 1886 lever-gun take a scope mounting?
Yes you can mount a 'scope on an '86. You'll have to go with a side mount, or something ahead of the receiver. like a "scout" set up.

I shoot CAST bullets exclusively in my '86, and it will plunk 'em into a 2" circle at 100 yards -- easy. I shoot mostly Oregon Trail 405 grainers, but have a stash of Cast Performance 440s that I'm kinda hoarding.

Thanks all.
Do you have a scope on your '86? If so where did you get the mount for a scout set up?
Look twice, shoot once
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

No scope... Just factory rear sight, with a gold bead front.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

longshotz wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:

Thanks all.
Do you have a scope on your '86? If so where did you get the mount for a scout set up?
86er has a scout scope setup on his 1886 EL. He used a scout rail from Wild West Guns. You will have to drill and tap your barrel to attach it.
Ricky

DWWC
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Why would you want to put a handle on that beautiful 86? :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I've got a reciever sight on my 86.

I don't think I would want a scope. It can be done but it was not designed with a scope in mind.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Do you have a scope on your '86? If so where did you get the mount for a scout set up?]

Some things, you just can't "get" - they must be made.

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I took a Wild West Guns two slot weaver mount, modified the contour and put it on my 1886EL round barrel using the 4 screw holes that come in the mount. Works great!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

In short, no the rifle will not take a scope without alteration. Pathfinder has the proper set up in his in my book!
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Bought an 86EL a while back used. Typical used 45/70, the PO tried some Remington 350gr JSP and decided he didn't deserve that abuse.
I met him, he deserved it.
Put a Williams receiver sight on it.
I did notice it had a short throat. The Laser Cast that fit the guide gun were too long for the 86. The length was right but they got thick too soon for the 86. If I did force it closed the end of the rifling would engrave the bullet. Thought that might raise pressures so I eased the end of the rifling with a ball stone trimmed to bullet diameter and all is well.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I guess for me, I will not drill any holes in rifles. I have a new Win 86 TD that I bought on this forum, and 2 Browning 86's, all 4 model 71 Brownings and a long tang deluxe 71. No way would I drill holes, I'm boring with those guns and have no guts to modify, I like them as is, a lot. I have a Browning BLR in 358, and it has a scope, several Marlins in 3 different calibers, with scopes. Some guy with big ideas will likely buy my collection someday from my estate, and start drilling, oh well. :(
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

williamranks wrote:Bought an 86EL a while back used. Typical used 45/70, the PO tried some Remington 350gr JSP and decided he didn't deserve that abuse.
I met him, he deserved it.
Put a Williams receiver sight on it.
I did notice it had a short throat. The Laser Cast that fit the guide gun were too long for the 86. The length was right but they got thick too soon for the 86. If I did force it closed the end of the rifling would engrave the bullet. Thought that might raise pressures so I eased the end of the rifling with a ball stone trimmed to bullet diameter and all is well.
400-gr Laser-Cast bullets fit my '86 XLR perfectly, just short of the leade, but my 440-gr. Cast Performance bullets were "too soon fat' for the original throat, so I reamed the throat just enough to accept them, also just short of the leade.
Regards

Buck

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've owned several different '86's in .45-70 and shot cast bullets in all of them. Regarding scopes, my first question is why you would like one? If it is because you are older, and your eyesight is an issue, then I would recommend a peep sight, either receiver mounted, bolt mounted, or tang mounted. I'm 55 years old and find that a peep sight makes everything so sharp, I almost feel like I'm cheating by using one. Most of my shooting is with open iron sights. If you are younger, and eyesight is not an issue, then I would encourage you to practice with iron sights. I think you will be surprised at how well you can do with just a bit of practice.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Slightly OT, maybe, but we have a 103 year old feller in a nearby town, who brought his old Remington into the gunshop about 3 years ago, to have a 'scope installed. Said he'd been hunting with it for over 50 years, with the old Redfield receiver sight on it, and had done just fine, but his hunting buddies finally cinvinced him he 'needed' a 'scope. I reckon he'll be out on the mountain with it again, come Fall, though he's not as tough as he once was...
Regards

Buck

Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

I personally don't use scopes on my leverguns but I have hunted with 86er and his 1886 with scout scope set-up. It was tastefully done, while not eye appealing to me it is not hideous. I've seen him take some long shots in Africa out to 200 yards on animals in thick brush. I would not have taken the shot with open sights or peeps but I think the magnification was an asset under these circumstances. If you want a utilitarian rifle with a little more versatility the scope might be the way to go.

Bullets - I've heard the Browning '86's sometimes had short throats but I've no personal experience. Joe's USRAC-Miroku 1886 takes any bullets we've put in it. I remember he loaded something, I think it was 450 grain bullets, and they would not close in a Marlin but his gun shot them fine. I haven't had any customer complaints about cast bullets in any weight or configuration that we sell regardless of the type and vintage of 1886 they had.
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm of average shooting ability, and I find I can shoot a ghost ring about as well as a low powered scope at 100 yards....It's a little easier, mind you, with the Scout Scope :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

My Winchester/Miroku 86 extralight .45-70 would accept Hornady 350 grain round nose bullets but not the Hornady 350 grain flat nose, with its slightly fatter olgive. The variety of cast bullets of a variety of weights from 330 grain Gould to 420 grain, all fit in the short throat of that particular rifle with no problem.

Buck, I like that 103-year old fellow! Hope I'm spry like that when I get to be 103.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

williamranks wrote:... I met him, he deserved it.
Welcome to the forum. I'm thinking your a natural fit here. :wink:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

My USRAC Win. 86 takes .405 laser cast and .425 Piledriver jr.s with out a hickup. darn accurate wit the peep sight too.

DUKE NUKEM
Levergunner

Post by DUKE NUKEM »

I'm going to attempt this. I have to my eyes are bad.
Looks like MVA is the best candidate for this application.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My Brownchester handles the BTB shape bullets, the ogive isn't rounded and weights from 325 to 525 drop in free with no early bullet contact. They also feed easier than the rounded ogive bullets, which seem to drag going into the chamber.

I HAVE TO drill it before I can shoot it, I can't use the barrel sight. I have a tang sight but don't want to drill the tang. I have a williams but don't want to drill the receiver. Kind of a pickle.

But I won't put a scope on it, I have plenty of Marlins I can insult.

Grizz
Last edited by Grizz on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

DUKE NUKEM wrote:I'm going to attempt this. I have to my eyes are bad.
Looks like MVA is the best candidate for this application.
Look around shooters forum

http://shootersforum.com/

for the pictures of the mount a guy made that uses ORIGINAL screw holes on the left side of the receiver and places the scope base on top of the barrel using the dovetail to stabilize the front end. If you can fabricate one of those you've got your scope mount without modifying the gun at all.

ps: it's your gun, of course you can do anything you want with it. I'm having eye problems too and have to make similar decisions...

Grizz
win scope mount 1.jpg
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

That was RANisbet here on this forum. He had posted a thread about it recently but I don't have it handy.

Edit: Here it is. It was on his Win 71 I believe. Should be fine on an '86 though.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Rimfire

my gray cell tricked me again!

Grizz
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Pathfinder09 wrote:I've got a reciever sight on my 86.

I don't think I would want a scope. It can be done but it was not designed with a scope in mind.

This is the way to go--- a scope is blasphemy!! :shock:
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

AMEN!