OT Dag Gum that's FAST!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

OT Dag Gum that's FAST!

Post by TedH »

Was playing around with some 40 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip loads in my 22-250 for the first time today. I used Hodgdon Benchmark for the first time too. This was one of those rare occasions where your combination is a winner right off the bat. I shot three loads from starting loads to a half grain below max. The worst 100 yard group was 0.479", also had a .381", and a 0.271" three shot cluster. The fastest load averaged exactly 4000 fps!

Got home and did a little calculating with that data.
That load has a Point Blank Range in a 2 INCH circle of 275 yards! It covers 500 yards in just a half second too.

I think I found my new favorite load for the heavy varminter.
NRA Life Member
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: OT Dag Gum that's FAST!

Post by KirkD »

When the sun is right, I've seen the bullet from my 44-40 streak toward the target. I don't think I'd see yours. 8) Does it make a round hole through the backstop where your target is, or does the bullet explode when it hits?
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

You're right Kirk, I always thought it was neat when I could see my .45s arcing their way to the target with the sun just right. I was just shooting through paper and one layer of corrugated cardboard today and they left nice round holes. Would like to see what they do to a line of milk jugs. I imagine the second jug in line would be fairly safe.
NRA Life Member
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Man those 22-250's do step and fetch don't they.
Ricky

DWWC
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I wonder what they'd do if you shot them into a piece of 2x4. Would they explode then? The fastest thing I shoot is my 30-30 at 2,200 fps, so 4,000 fps is a whole new world for me.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

KirkD wrote:I wonder what they'd do if you shot them into a piece of 2x4. Would they explode then? The fastest thing I shoot is my 30-30 at 2,200 fps, so 4,000 fps is a whole new world for me.
We could see M-16, .223, explode on pieces of grass and twigs.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

When they explode before hitting the target, then you know you have gone too far. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've had that happen too with some Hornady SX bullets in a fast twist .223. Just a grey mist headed downrange. :lol:
NRA Life Member
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have shot a bunch of 40gr. speer SP bullets in my Ruger #1 .22-250. They will hold almost as tight at 100yd. ( just under 1" cosistantly...sp?) as Sierra Match King 53gr.
I shoot a lot of Grey Diggers (ground rats) and they just vaporize. Not hard to brake the 4,000 fps barrier without
any pressure signs.
ByronG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ByronG »

I am guessing that the use of 'Dag Gum' (dad gummit ?) is because you consider the real words disrespectful to God. Surely the euphamism is equally disrespectful?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
Moynihan
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Fast, accurate, and if performance on prairie dogs or things like them is good, then it sounds like you have a combination worth sticking with.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Hey Ted.

Great choice of powder -- as Benchmark reigns supreme in my Triple Deuce too. I also use a tiny 40 grain pill (Hornady V-Max), which are going about 3,400 fps 10' from the muzzle -- just a tad slower than yours :wink: -- but with similar accuracy too.

Just wish I could finally put one into some fur.........

I did a "Texas Heart Shot" on a nice bobcat with that load about 3 years ago, but the fox and coyotes must have heard about it, as they're not showing their faces any more...

Since you're using that load for hunting, you'll be pleased to hear that I've run Chrony tests and can confirm that the Benchmark powder works/shoots as well at 20 degrees as it did in the summer when I first did the load development.

Good luck huntin'!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

WAY back I had me one of those built on a 6.5 Arisaka action. Holy smokes! I could pop the heads off coots at 200 yds in the slough back of the ranch. I had my fun with it then let a friend talk me out of it. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Aw man, just when I had talked myself out of acquiring another .22-250... :lol: Sounds like a great load to me!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

ByronG wrote:I am guessing that the use of 'Dag Gum' (dad gummit ?) is because you consider the real words disrespectful to God. Surely the euphamism is equally disrespectful?

I suppose you are free to guess at whatever you wish. If Hobie feels my use of a slang word is inappropriate to the forum then he will remove it. Otherwise I think my spiritual life is my own business, thank you.
NRA Life Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks for that info TedH. Got my first initiation into the wonderful little 22-250 last thanksgiving. My Dad gave me his Ruger No. 1 in that caliber. I couldn't stop shooting it.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... anksgiving
Wonderfully accurate and that little bullet sure cooks along nicely indeed. Should be about right for Javalina with a sturdy bullet?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I remember that post. What kind of scope is that on the Ruger #1 in the photo?
NRA Life Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

TedH wrote:I remember that post. What kind of scope is that on the Ruger #1 in the photo?
It's a Weaver K10.....looks pretty old. That sound right? I've never been much of a scope guy, but love it on this rig. Some Federal factory ammo was reportedly at 4000 fps, not sure if the current stuff will still do this. Also learned that it's a necked down 250 Savage...hence the 22-250.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I don't know if the factory stuff hit's 4K or not. I've only used handloads in mine.
NRA Life Member
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Very nice. I use Benchmark in my 45/70,50AK and .223! Great powder flows nicely through a measure!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I just recently bought a 22-250 barrel for my savage and am hoping to get it installed and a load developed for it so Thank you for the headsup on benchmark. Tom
P.S. I love the fact that I was able to buy a different barrel for my savage and have a new caliber for $60 bucks.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Man, that is moving!!! 8)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

TedH wrote:
ByronG wrote:I am guessing that the use of 'Dag Gum' (dad gummit ?) is because you consider the real words disrespectful to God. Surely the euphamism is equally disrespectful?

I suppose you are free to guess at whatever you wish. If Hobie feels my use of a slang word is inappropriate to the forum then he will remove it. Otherwise I think my spiritual life is my own business, thank you.
:mrgreen: Good answer. 8)

FWIW, I'm gonna have to bounce that load of a couple of varminters here...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sorry, I messed the quote thing up on this one.
Last edited by piller on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Old No7 wrote: I did a "Texas Heart Shot" on a nice bobcat with that load about 3 years ago, but the fox and coyotes must have heard about it, as they're not showing their faces any more...

Old No7
It isn't their faces they are worried about. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I have a browning 1885 in 22-250 and what I like best about the cartridge is when loaded with the lighter bullets, there will be very very few richochettes {sp} I dont use the gun that much only because I use something alittle more safer, you wanna talk fast and safe get yourself a 17 remington, where I live in ohio its just about the perfect groundhog popper and you dont have to worry as much about killing your neighbor 3 fields over

just for fun, look up the velocity on a 22-243 middlestan its clockin over 5000 fps they say http://www.reloadersnest.com/detail.asp ... oadID=1147
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

That's some great shooting Ted! That 22-250 is one Fantastic Caliber!
That's what a lot of the Swat Guys use up here.(Sharpshooters)
Great Groups! Well Done! :mrgreen:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

piller wrote:
Old No7 wrote: I did a "Texas Heart Shot" on a nice bobcat with that load about 3 years ago, but the fox and coyotes must have heard about it, as they're not showing their faces any more...

Old No7
It isn't their faces they are worried about. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NRA Life Member
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

azzhandler wrote:just for fun, look up the velocity on a 22-243 middlestan its clockin over 5000 fps they say http://www.reloadersnest.com/detail.asp ... oadID=1147
I wonder how long a barrel lasts when the bullets leave at 5,000 fps?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

A friend of mine years ago had a CZ Fox in 222 and used 40 Btips, I think he used H322 and was getting around 3940fps.
It would group just over the inch at 100 but less by 150! 200yd groups would run 3/4". I saw him do some fantastic shots with it including a 400ish yard squirrel on top of a fence post in some wind.
He would regular shoot at rabbits to 800 ish yards but it would be within a foot or so of missing.
The longest rabbit he did was 630 paces if IRC. 300yd crows and pidgeons were regular dead if the wind was not to bad.
All the B tips I have used and seen used are very good performers, the 40,50 and 55 grners, the 130and 140 grners in 270 and the 125grn in 30.

But, I have never seen groups like yours and that is just amazing! Well done.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nath wrote:A friend of mine years ago had a CZ Fox in 222 and used 40 Btips, I think he used H322 and was getting around 3940fps.

Nath.

That is a smokin' from a triple deuce!
NRA Life Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

TedH wrote:
Nath wrote:A friend of mine years ago had a CZ Fox in 222 and used 40 Btips, I think he used H322 and was getting around 3940fps.

Nath.

That is a smokin' from a triple deuce!
Yes it was, I witnessed the chrony many times! No pressure issues either.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!