Receiver sights for the Winchester 94's, 5D or Fool Proof?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

Williams Fool Proof or 5D?

Fool Proof
80%
5D
20%

Total votes: 30
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Receiver sights for the Winchester 94's, 5D or Fool Proof?

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have at least two 94 trappers I need to get receiver sights for, and I am trying to make up my mind which way to go. I have owned Williams Fool Proofs before, but I can't remember if I ever tried the 5D. I think I like the FP better but of course I like the price of the 5D better.

What does every one else like best?
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

If you're a target shooter or shoot more than one load through same gun then the FP would be a better choice I would imagine. I use my guns for hunting, and I only shoot one load 99% of the time so the 5D works out fine for me, I have them on 2 of my leverguns.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I agree. Unless you will need to adjust often, the 5D is hard to beat.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

FoolProof.

I have a couple of them right now, one on my 94 Trapper 30-30 and one extra.
I prefer them over the 5D simply because the adjustments are far more precise and easier to make. No guessing, no try it and move it and try it again.
And the most important part is the adjustments are repeatable.
If you move the FP 10 clicks for a different load, and want to return it to where you had it before, simply turn it 10 clicks back. That simple.
No so with the 5D.

I'd rather pay money for an FP than get a 5d free.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

I like all three mentioned so far. I think like the others it depends on what kind of job you are looking to handle. I have an FP on all of mine.
PERRY COUNTY OUTDOORS MAGAZINE @
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I broke a 5D and stripped screws on the second before putting the FP on my '94. No problems with the FP - more durable from the get-go.
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

+ a bunch for the 5d Doug
a armed man is his own master
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

A little trivia related to price:

"5D" refers to the original price...five dimes.

Not a bad deal for 4 bits.

That said, I'm a FoolProof fan. The real question is why not a FoolProof???

scott
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

[

"5D" refers to the original price...five dimes.

HMMMM...I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT REFERRED TO FIVE DOLLARS IN EWE ESS OF AA GREENBACKS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yer kerrect, Terry - 5D = $5 (once upon a time)

5D. I have both - and since I never readjust the FP's, I consider the extra $$$$ as wasted.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

On my trapper I use the WGRS sight with ghost ring and it works great. I think it only runs about $12 for the base and $5 for the ghost ring.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have a couple of the WGRS sights, one on a crossbow and one on my Winchester 9422mag with the big game aperature. Right now I have a top eject Win. Trapper that needs a rear sight, and also a Win. Angle eject 357 trapper that need a better sight.

I have also got a model 39M that needs a sight, as I can't see that Marbles open sight clearly with the white diamond in the bright sun.

I guess I just need to decide.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Terry Murbach wrote:HMMMM...I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT REFERRED TO FIVE DOLLARS IN EWE ESS OF AA GREENBACKS.
But, of course.

Momentary brainfart on my part.

Lo siento mucho.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I went ahead and ordered some sights from Midway. I sorta went half and half. I puchased a 5D for both of my Trappers, a FP for my model 39M and a FP for a 71 Winchester which I will either replace the Lyman on the 71 or have it put on my Browning 95.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Why, you give me no "none of the above" option.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I have some guns with target apertures, but on hunting guns I like the 5d.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Lastmohecken wrote:I have a couple of the WGRS sights, one on a crossbow and one on my Winchester 9422mag with the big game aperature. Right now I have a top eject Win. Trapper that needs a rear sight, and also a Win. Angle eject 357 trapper that need a better sight.

I have also got a model 39M that needs a sight, as I can't see that Marbles open sight clearly with the white diamond in the bright sun.

I guess I just need to decide.
The little two notch square disc in the Marbles sight is reversible. I have mine flipped so the plain black side faces me.

dr walker,
You can put target and hunting apertures on all the Williams sights. The FP and 5D take the same ones.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Deleted (I got mixed up on my sights ..... happens sometimes to old geezers! :? )
Last edited by KirkD on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kirk,

Are you sure you're not talking about a Lyman sight? The Williams sights don't have a side plate. The Lyman does though.

Joe
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The 5D doesn't have a "vertical adjustment spring", either - no springs of any kind, for that matter, since both windage & elevation adjustmets are via grub screws which are loosened to slide the peep and then tightened to cinch the peep in the new position/place.
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Foolproof, and I have proved it!

Great sight and easy to use.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

J Miller wrote:Kirk,

Are you sure you're not talking about a Lyman sight? The Williams sights don't have a side plate. The Lyman does though.

Joe
Whooops! :oops: I was talking about the Lyman receiver sight 66A. :oops:

Disregard everything I said about the 5D earlier (and I'll delete it). It sounds like I should be getting a Foolproof.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

for me the FP is just a better sight.I have one on my 375 bb and never a problem with it.I am alway messing around with different loads cast and jacketed and it is just a better sight for making adjustments.

I have a 5D in my old win 94 30/30.it works great.99% of the time when I hunt with it its the same load every year.150 gr rem cl and AA2520.I haven't had to adjust the sights in years :D .

imho if your a handloader and trying different powder,bullets,primers ect go with the FP.

pete
DAV life member.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We should get a vote for each gun on which we've mounted a FP vs a 5D. That would be all but two for me and those two are one Lyman 38 repro and a Lyman 66... I believe that's 6 (maybe 8 or 9 guns :?: ) on which I've mounted a Williams FP despite the "extra" cost.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have a lyman 66, 4 foolproofs and 3 5D's. Oh-- and 2 levers with scopes.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

You guys have talked me into trying a Williams FP instead of the xs ghost ring. Its on order! Jeff Quinn has an article on the Williams FP Firesight over at Gunblast.com

http://www.gunblast.com/Williams_Firesight.htm