.357 Max Handi at 25 Yards

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

.357 Max Handi at 25 Yards

Post by Swampman »

I was just getting it on paper. This is with some .38 Special 150 grain wadcutters that were charged using Lee dipper. The small holes are 5 shots form my Marlin 39A.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
txpete
Departed Friend

Re: .357 Max Handi at 25 Yards

Post by txpete »

nice shooting,I am a 357 max fan (encore) try some AA1680 :D .

pete
DAV life member.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Swampman wrote:This is with some .38 Special 150 grain wadcutters that were charged using Lee dipper.
Evidently you missed the previous posts on other threads that said the Lee 'dippers' are totally inadequate for reloading, because you MUST weigh each charge, and that there's no way you can get an accurate load worked up without the ability to use charges 'in between' dipper sizes... :lol:

Looks like you got a real good shooter there.

:?: Did it come that way, or did you have a barrel made for the cartridge, or did you ream your own out of a .357 Magnum?
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

It started out as a .357 Magnum. I rechambered it with a hand reamer, it took about 15 min.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Swampman wrote:It started out as a .357 Magnum. I rechambered it with a hand reamer, it took about 15 min.
I'ver read that some of the .357 Magnum Handis were made on a lighter or different frame that was their 'shotgun' frame, and that you shouldn't try to modify those .357 Magnums due to larger firing-pin holes (possible primer extrusion back into the receiver), and somewhat weaker lock-up than the higher .357 Maximum pressures requires. I guess they made other .357 Magnums on 'rifle' frames, then?

I had a .357 Magnum Handi I wound up trading off (towards a brand new Marlin 1894c 8) ), but had thought of reaming out to .357 Maximum. If I get another one, do I need to avoid the 'shotgun frame' ones?
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

Absolutely, positively try AA-1680 in the .357 Maximum. I used WW-680 and Sierra 180 grain Silhouette bullets for competition and nothing performed like WW-680. AA-1680 gave just as good results later on. Your post makes me want to get the old Ruger Maximum out and shoot some more - as soon as things dry out anyway.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Swampman wrote:It started out as a .357 Magnum. I rechambered it with a hand reamer, it took about 15 min.
I was wondering how you got one - I wasn't aware that they had made them in the .357 Maximum chambering.

So, you could, in theory, shoot the following in that single shot:

.357 Maximum
.357 Magnum
.38 Special
.38 Long Colt
.38 Short Colt

Right? Sounds like a lot of flexibility in one compact package! :D
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

This one is on a small dia. firing pin SB1 frame. This frame can only be fitted with a .357 Mag, .44 Mag, or a shotgun barrel. So far those that have been Maximized are not giving trouble. As soon as I get my brass I'll see if I can break it.

H&R/NEF produced factory .357 Max guns and they have produced SB2 .357 Magnum guns.

txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

yup :D

you just have to good cleaning after using the stubby rounds.

pete
DAV life member.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Don't forget the .360 Dan Wesson. Here's the reamer.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:So, you could, in theory, shoot the following in that single shot:

.357 Maximum
.357 Magnum
.38 Special
.38 Long Colt
.38 Short Colt

I'll bet those 'Colts' would jump and yaw enough to be going sideways at 25 yards, though...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:So, you could, in theory, shoot the following in that single shot:

.357 Maximum
.357 Magnum
.38 Special
.38 Long Colt
.38 Short Colt

I'll bet those 'Colts' would jump and yaw enough to be going sideways at 25 yards, though...
Oh yeah - but it is just the flexibility I like. If you needed to, you could. Kind of like shooting a .22 CB in a .22 Long Rifle. Not the most accurate, but in some cases, it fits the need.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Some have even said that the Handi rifles have such a long throat in them that they will chamber a 360 DW right from the factory. A .357 Max in a Handi is so close to a .35 Remington it's not even funny.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.