OT : ##@**** SNOW

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

OT : ##@**** SNOW

Post by 6pt-sika »

I got a noon flight out of Dullus on Monday !

I just wonder if the upcoming SNOWSTORM is gonna put a crimp in my trip :roll:

"The Weather Channel" says we should get 20-28 inches ending saturday evening . Just wonder if everything will be flowing well by the time I get there monday :?
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT : ##@**** SNOW

Post by HEAD0001 »

For me it would depend on the importance of the trip?? If the trip was important I would take an extra day and drive south to an airport that I know I would not have to worry about. Tom.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

That isn't a bad idea !

But I have non refundable tickets :roll:

And besides this is a direct flight from Dullus to Seoul so I don't have to fly thru Cali !

I truely detest anything to do with LAX or SF anymore :evil:

In the past I would fly from Dullus to the west coast and then straight to Manila !

And every trip there was ALWAYS a hangup in LAX or SF !

This time I'm going direct to Seoul then to Manila and then a puddle jumper !
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

we never get any snow here in Ruin...
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

colo native wrote:we never get any snow here in Ruin...
Well send a dump truck over here to Orange County !

I've got a bucket on the front of my tractor I will be more then happy to give you a truckload !

Where is Ruin VA by the way ?
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

We used to have a range that we called Ruin. sence we've shut it down Ruin is now locared at my house just west of W'boro... on the road ta Ruin, hehehe
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I am at work, 3/4 of a mile away from Dulles Airport. I have never seen such panic from a snowstorm that has not even hit yet. Grocery stores empty, gas stations packed. Worse than a hurricane.

It is certainly a result of media hype.

The first snow flakes are just beginning to fall, and my co-workers (including the boss) are already joking about leaving.

You would think that even if we get two feet of wet, slushy snow, the runways would be clear by Monday if it stops snowing Saturday night. But what do I know, I don't work there, just nearby. Also, delays are cumulative, who knows what kind of train-wreck this will cause to regional scheduling.

I second spending at least Sunday night as close as possible to the airport. I would leave sometime Sunday morning, or early afternoon. No doubt, the Monday morning commute will be hideous; even for me going from Manassas to Sterling.

Good luck to you. Hopefully, your international travel plans will only be slightly inconvienienced, and not totally destroyed.

God be with you.

Sean
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sitting in an airport trying to get home now. I'm hoping I beat the storm. It's been a long enough week already...
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

junkbug wrote:I am at work, 3/4 of a mile away from Dulles Airport. I have never seen such panic from a snowstorm that has not even hit yet. Grocery stores empty, gas stations packed. Worse than a hurricane.

The first snow flakes are just beginning to fall, and my co-workers (including the boss) are already joking about leaving.

You would think that even if we get two feet of wet, slushy snow, the runways would be clear by Monday if it stops snowing Saturday night. But what do I know, I don't work there, just nearby. Also, delays are cumulative, who knows what kind of train-wreck this will cause to regional scheduling.

I second spending at least Sunday night as close as possible to the airport. I would leave sometime Sunday morning, or early afternoon. No doubt, the Monday morning commute will be hideous; even for me going from Manassas to Sterling.

Good luck to you. Hopefully, your international travel plans will only be slightly inconvienienced, and not totally destroyed.

God be with you.

Sean

I'm only about an hour an 15 minutes from Dullus and the guy who's gonna dump me at the airport has a daughter that lives maybe 30 minutes by car from Dullus ! I may see if we can take off for his daughters house about 3 AM and hang out there for a couple hours !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I can't really get outta here sunday early !

We live in the country and I need to get the drive and the state road to the major road cleared for my pop before I get outta here .

It takes me awhile using a bucket on the front of the tractor rather then a blade on the front of a truck :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I hope the weather folks got this one big time wrong and it only dumps 5-10 inches on us !

But I got a sneaking suspicion if they are wrong it'll be in the other direction :cry:
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I have also wondered if the weather wonks have it right. Around here, if we don't get flying slush, we get ice, which is even worse. Not much different in Culpeper, I imagine.

I guess we can just hope for 3 inches of hard rain.

Sean
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

look at this local sat, then auto...

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/mixed ... &type=loop
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Just get me on the plane monday at my allotted time and in the air and I promise I won't buy any guns until March :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I know what you mean and feel your pain. I'm working 10 minutes from home and it's only getting to 52 today AND it's going to sprinkle. Prolly won't get my bicycle ride in at lunch time... :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

junkbug wrote:I have also wondered if the weather wonks have it right. Around here, if we don't get flying slush, we get ice, which is even worse. Not much different in Culpeper, I imagine.

I guess we can just hope for 3 inches of hard rain.

Sean
Oh man if the 20-30" of snow they said we might get was actually rain , I think the Potomac would overflow to the Mississippi :o

I'm actually in Orange not Culpeper but based on what I see out my window you are correct !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

junkbug wrote:I am at work, 3/4 of a mile away from Dulles Airport. I have never seen such panic from a snowstorm that has not even hit yet. Grocery stores empty, gas stations packed. Worse than a hurricane.

God be with you.

Sean
Sean,

The government workers left at about 1130. Daughter is already safe at home in McLean. Not quite enough here to justify cranking up the snow thrower but will be in another 1½ hours or so and then I'll hit again first thing in the morning.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Be careful and pay attention to Carbon Monoxide if using alternate heating arrangements :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

You could always go to the airport today. And spend your time at a local hotel or at the airport bar. If you can afford the airport bar.

The main problem with flights in big snows is not whether or not the planes can take off. The problem is can they land?? If no planes land on Saturday and Sunday then there will be no planes to take off on Monday?? I would definitely contact my airline and plan on driving south where there is no snow. I know how nuts the people in the south can be when they get a little snow!! Tom.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

supposed to get anywhere between 12 and 18" by morning. unfourtnately, gotta be at work tomorrow at 6:00 am. at least the dakota will get a good workout :(
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

You have to be kid'n me! There is actually a panic over snow flurries? Ya'll ever been to Copper Harbor, Michigan? Three feet of snow is just a good foundation starting November.
milespb
Levergunner

Post by milespb »

Just saw on local news (eastern panhandle- WV) that the DC airports are open. 6pm Sat., we've got 26" here and things are pretty well stalled.