Lever Smith

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Premo
Levergunner

Lever Smith

Post by Premo »

I recently had the opportunity to purchase, from a friend, a Marlin 336RC in 30-30, my first lever. The gun was her deceased fathers and he purchased it new in 1948. It is the first year that Marlin made the 336 and is in pretty good shape- a couple of dings in the forearm and stock with ageing bluing. Nothing special, but a good shooter gun. The gun works well and she, the seller, had the gunsmith at one of the best and oldest gun shops in the area clean and go through it to repair replace anything needed prior to selling. I was not impressed with the quality of work from them, loose screws, loose forearm band and damaged screws, but most of all they failed to replace the ejector and ejector spring when they sent it back to her. Long story short, I am looking for a good lever action gunsmith in this area. Not that I need them now but due to the age of the gun, and the fact that I will only shoot 2-3 boxes of shells through it a year I want to know who to take it to for the minor stuff I want/need to maintain and repair the gun. Does anyone know of a very good lever gun smith in the Central Texas, Austin, area? THX
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

I can't recommend anyone personally but, have you tried contacting the SASS club there? I guarantee they know somebody that can make a levergun run.

Go here: http://www.tejascaballeros.org/

They list their contact person as:

President: Michael "Texas Heat" Raiford, ph: 512-219-8280, email: raiford@yahoo.com

Hope it helps
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Lever Smith

Post by J Miller »

Premo wrote:I recently had the opportunity to purchase, from a friend, a Marlin 336RC in 30-30, my first lever. The gun was her deceased fathers and he purchased it new in 1948. It is the first year that Marlin made the 336 and is in pretty good shape- a couple of dings in the forearm and stock with ageing bluing. Nothing special, but a good shooter gun. The gun works well and she, the seller, had the gunsmith at one of the best and oldest gun shops in the area clean and go through it to repair replace anything needed prior to selling. I was not impressed with the quality of work from them, loose screws, loose forearm band and damaged screws, but most of all they failed to replace the ejector and ejector spring when they sent it back to her. Long story short, I am looking for a good lever action gunsmith in this area. Not that I need them now but due to the age of the gun, and the fact that I will only shoot 2-3 boxes of shells through it a year I want to know who to take it to for the minor stuff I want/need to maintain and repair the gun. Does anyone know of a very good lever gun smith in the Central Texas, Austin, area? THX
Premo,

Welcome to the forum.

The Marlin 336 series of rifles is one of the simplest rifle designs in existence. VERY easy to take apart for maintenance and or repair. You don't need a gunsmith for that. The ejector and it's spring is a drop in part available from Marlin or other sources.
As are the screws and other parts.

The only Texas gunsmith I know of is our own Nate Kiowa Jones. He is a very good gunsmith that is quite familiar with lever actions .

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Good recommendation in naming Nate!! If you send the rifle to him, it will be A-OK when you get it back. He does supurb work!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!