OT: What can you tell me about the 1991 Colt in 9mm?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AmBraCol
Webservant

OT: What can you tell me about the 1991 Colt in 9mm?

Post by AmBraCol »

Do any of y'all have such a critter? How reliable would such a piece likely be? I'm not familiar at all with the newer versions of the old Government model.

The reason I'm asking is that a Kiwi I met down here is looking into obtaining a personal firearm. He was doing some research and on the 'net he came up with a price list from INDUMIL, the sole supplier of legal firearms in Colombia. Well, there's some interesting things listed on there that I'd never seen in the Army store. This bears looking into. :) The Colt is listed at "only" about $1,000 US. This compares to Walther p99's, Jericho 941's, Stoeger Cougars and such that typically sell for $1,600 to $2,000 or more. They also list a 2" Stainless Ruger for a price I'm sure is a misprint - about $200 or so. Now, this is the national price list, no telling WHERE they might have these and where I'd have to go, who I'd have to speak to and what it would take to obtain one. My guess is that since I already have a 38 spl that they'd be reluctant to allow me another in the same caliber. Since we're allowed to obtain up to two carry guns I'm guessing they'd want the second one in a different caliber - which is why I'm looking at the 9mm.

Anyway, if you know anything about the 1991 Colt in 9mm I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: What can you tell me about the 1991 Colt in 9mm?

Post by awp101 »

I think it's the same as a Series 80 (Schwartz firing pin block?). Might ask around here: http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yep, my 1991A1 is a .45. I think it will be a bit heavy in 9mm but otherwise ok.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Paul I havent run into a colt in 9 but a friend has one in 38 super I was impressed with the accuracy and thump on bowling pins, one in 9 would be handy as 9 ammo is everywhere. danny
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Paul, IIRC, the 1991 Models have plastic parts your old Government Model never dreamed of - in the trigger & mainspring housing areas, I believe.

They can be, of course, switched out - since the basic pistol is the same.

I would only consider one as a purchase of a base unit, with an eye toward building it into a more enhanced version.

Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

The 1991-A1 in 45 ACP is my wife's carry gun. It's about the same size as the Colt's Officer's Model, and uses the same magazines. It has a fluted barrel, and no barrel bushing at the front of the slide. Once you have it torn down for cleaning, it has some small parts at the rear of the grip frame that the 1911 doesn't have, and they make the cleaning job about twice as long, getting the powder residue out of the nooks and crannies. As far as accuracy and reliability, it's an equal to my 1911. Of course the price is a bit different, since my wife paid about $400 for hers eight years ago.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Thanks guys. Especially for those links. I drifted over to the 1911 forum and immediately got lost. They've got more subcategories than you can shake a stick at. And the next time someone says something about stickies over here I'll probably bust a rib when I fall down laughing. :) :lol: Anyway, some interesting info there. I don't even know if I could get one here, time will tell. What I DO know is that if I do get one I'll have to bring some parts in for it right off. But at least one can get parts for it easily enough, compared to my INDUMIL built Llama Cassidy. I'm intrigued by the idea of a 1911 style 9mm. We're limited to military FMJ so feeding would not be a problem. And ballistics out of a 5" barrel should be a bit better than out of the Stoeger Cougar I saw the figures from down here. 3.5" barrel on the Cougar, if I recall correctly. Anyway, time will tell... And thanks for the input.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Pete44ru wrote:Paul, IIRC, the 1991 Models have plastic parts your old Government Model never dreamed of - in the trigger & mainspring housing areas, I believe.

They can be, of course, switched out - since the basic pistol is the same.

I would only consider one as a purchase of a base unit, with an eye toward building it into a more enhanced version.

FYI: I have 3 Series 80 1911's and all of them came stock with the "plastic" mainspring housing, and the plastic trigger, though you would never know it if you didn't tear them apart. My .38 Super has had thousands of rounds through it without ever a hitch. The Delta, and the .45 are also pretty much bulletproof, though they haven't had the service of the other so far. I wouldn't let the "plastic" bother me. And I also heard for years how the 80 Series was so substandard to the 70 Series, but none of mine have EVER had a hitch in them. Quality firearms they are.

Now, I can't say much about the current crop of Colt firearms considering my last venture into them. My SAA was no good from the get go. Colt Service has it currently and is reworking it. I will say that they never questioned me what so ever, and are doing the work per warranty. I have them doing a refinish on it where the nickel plating flaked off, realigning the hammer axis pin to the receiver, and removing the mill marks from the receiver. I took care of the substantially undersized cylinder throats myself. So in the immortal words of Popeye..."you pays your money and you takes your chances".

Ed
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Paul,
I lack the knowledge of the new Colt's
but I am knowledgeble of the the old models,
with financial ability to own whatever I would desire,
I still carry a John Browning design.
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

I have one of the first Series '80s made in .45ACP. I have many thousands of rounds through it, and no problems with it whatsoever.

The 9mm in the all steel frame will be a pussycat to shoot, a lot of guys use it in competition. In your situation, I would jump on it, and order some of the Wilson-Combat 9mm magazines for it. Shoot it a bunch before you start tinkering with it. If it feeds and functions 100%, be very selective as to what you do to it. I think you'll enjoy it, though.
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member