Winchester model 100

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Winchester model 100

Post by getitdone1 »

Years ago I had a Winchester model 100 carbine chambered for the 308 Winchester cartridge. Had a Weaver 3X with tip-off mounts on it. A real handy outfit.

I know there was a particular functioning issue with this model. What exactly was it and can the "fix" still be had from Winchester--or a gunsmith?

How reliable is this gun once the above issue is fixed? Thinking of buying another one.

Don
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester model 100

Post by Stan in SC »

The "fix" was the firing pin.I am not sure if it is still available.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IIRC, if you contact Winchester they will give you the contact info for one of their several factory-authorized repair gunsmiths that upgrade the firing pins to the newer style, as per the recall.

The info might even still be on their website.

You might not need it, if the rifle you buy has already had the FP done - the ones done were all marked on the underside with a letter, IIRC, by the factory rep, signifying the work was done. (The factory gave the new firing pins only to their agents, so Joe Blow - who might not know what they're doing - couldn't get one to install hisself)

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

:o now I find this out-had one hated it due to the failure to fires reworked springs and on and on got rid of it in despair.Oh well thats life!
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

I currently have several 100's. I have changed out the firing pins on all of them. I contacted Winchester and they gave me the number to the repair shop. I then sent the old firing pins with the serial number of the gun to them and they sent me replacements. Winchester then sent me a check for $30 for each gun I updated.
this was @ 4 years ago. I don't know if they still do it or not.
I'm not a gunsmith just an average Joe that has been tinkering with them for 25 years.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Do the M88s have the same firing pin???
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I recently liquidated no less then NINE Winchester Model 100's for an older fellow who was getting out of the gun buisness . All of his were 308 or 284 and all had been sent to the factory for the update !
So far we have not heard anything back from any of the folks who purchased them !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I've had a couple Winchester 100s both in 308. Wish I still had them. The issue with the firing pins IIRC is that they could jam
extended causing the rifle to slam-fire the next round as the bolt returned to battery. I don't believe (could be wrong) the lever-action
version (Model 88) of this action would be subject to this malfunction.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

RSY wrote:Do the M88s have the same firing pin???
The 88s do NOT have the same problem... Dumb, huh.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Halfbreed
Levergunner

Post by Halfbreed »

Two of my hunting buddies owned model 100s both in .243 Winchester. They were both 100% happy with their guns. I was surprised just how effect this round was on the large wild boars we hunted but then again these guys were experienced hunters, and great shots.
For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. 2Timothy 3:16
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

gordylew wrote:I currently have several 100's. I have changed out the firing pins on all of them. I contacted Winchester and they gave me the number to the repair shop. I then sent the old firing pins with the serial number of the gun to them and they sent me replacements. Winchester then sent me a check for $30 for each gun I updated.
this was @ 4 years ago. I don't know if they still do it or not.
I'm not a gunsmith just an average Joe that has been tinkering with them for 25 years.
gordylew,

Once you got the new firing pins in them how were they for reliability?

Don McCullough
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

My grandfather swore by an old Winchester 100 for many years, in .308 win.

It was quite accurate, espacally for a semi-auto, much better accuracy then you would often see in the Browning BAR, or the Remington 742 of the day. Unfortunately, it would tend to jam on occasion, and I remember taking it to a gunsmith on at least one occasion, and had the chamber polished out, and it was ammo sensitive, and would sometimes show pierced primmers on Federal ammo.

When the gun worked, he was deadly on running deer, and he never used anything but iron sights, until he got way up in years, when I finally put a scope on it for him.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

When I was about 14 or so, 2 of my cousins and myself saved our pennies from working on the farm all summer and each bought a brand new Winchester 100 in .308. Mine was no good that jammed and wouldn't stay on a paper plate at 50 yards, it made two trips to the local Winchester recommended gunsmith but never was much better. This was my first centerfire rifle and I knew nothing about them. After fooling around with it for a few months I swapped it for a Remington 600 Mohawk.

Both of my cousin's rifles were flawless, and they still have them and have killed many deer with them. The Rem 600 is long gone too.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I have two M100 rifles. One is a .308 and the other has been rebored to .358 Winchester. Never had a problem, failure to feed or fire, either before or after the firing pin fix. The firing pin problem was that if the firing pin broke the broken part could wedge in the firing pin hole causing a slam fire upon the bolt closing.