O/T: The Lost Coast of CA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

O/T: The Lost Coast of CA

Post by CowboyTutt »

I wanted to give a quick report on my day yesterday. I just returned last night from an amazing motorcycle ride to the Lost Coast of CA on my HD. The Lost Coast is a very primitive and unspoiled part of the CA coastline. It is in Humboldt County south of the city of Fortuna. I've traveled pretty extensively by motorcycle across the western states, and I have to say that this ride/area certainly ranks a "10" on places to drive and see. Much like Beartooth Pass is to Montana or Tioga Pass is to Yosemite, it is scenic sensory overload. :shock: :lol:

From 101 as it passes through the town of Weott, take Mattole Rd. that goes to the town of Honeydew through Humboldt Redwoods State Park. You begin along the Eel River and proceed along a narrow bumpy, pot-holed road through the forest. From there you gain elevation on a series of tight switch backs over the mountains with some occasional good glimpses of the rolling coastal hills before descending into Honeydew and the Mattole Valley. You follow along the river through the valley for quite a ways. Be sure to take Light House Rd. to the black sands of Mattole Beach. It is a very rough road, but there is a very nice campground there for $8 a night if you enjoy tent camping.

Once you return from Mattole Beach you continue north on Mattole Rd. until you round a corner to see the road descending before you eyes to right along the beach itself! You will probably want to stop along here and take more pictures. The road follows along the shore for about 7 miles before you look ahead and you see this steep uphill grade that takes you up from sea level which is a sight in itself. It times like this where a torque heavy V-twin motor is a real plus.

The road up over the hills is again twisty, rough, bumpy, narrow and potholed but it makes for a challenging and scenic motorycle ride to the town of Ferndale.

Ferndale has some of the most beautiful architecture I have ever seen of any small town and is a great place to stop for lunch or dinner.

I've decided to arrange an overnight day ride with some of my friends up here in NorCal. I put together an "October Fast" ride back last October that was very successful, and I'm thinking mid-March for the "First Annual Lost Coast Run".

If you ever find yourself in the area, take a day to make this drive. Its a must see.

-Tutt

"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: O/T: The Lost Coast of CA

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Yep, California is one of the most diverse and beautiful states I've ever been in. Too bad the politicians have ruined it. It's a nice place to visit, but I'd hate to live there.

I haven't been that far north, but Highway 1 from Carmel to Morro Bay is a beautiful drive as well.
Last edited by deerwhacker444 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

California has some truly beautiful country. Great pictures Tutt.
Ricky

DWWC
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

RKrodle wrote:California has some truly beautiful country. Great pictures Tutt.
+1 on both those statements. Stupid political and economic things going on there, though, unfortunately...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow, Easy Rider meets then came Bronson - btw - had to use the car air conditioner yesterday.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Easy Rider meets then came Bronson
:lol: That was funny!

Yeah, the politics are terrible here as a state, but Mendocino County has a very gun friendly Sheriff, we have a great gun club and also a BLM shooting range and lots of awesome riding/hunting opportunities. I'll stick around a bit longer. :)

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice photo's CT and nice bike :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Sounds like a nice ride. Too bad the SO is allergic to redwoods. Visited the cousin in Willits and the SO started breaking out all over. We had to leave early and once we got about 100 miles East, things started subsiding. Too bad, loved the country and loved seeing the Redwoods.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My bride and I did that ride in 1998 . Flew into San Fran and rented a bike for a week . Drove through there and up to Oregon and back. Stay in some great campgrounds and ate at great small town resturants. Good Times !
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Pretty country. :!:
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Tutt,

Is that your bike? I am guessing it's a Dyna Superglide. What year is it?
NRA Life Member, Patron
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Mohecken, yeah, that's my bike. Its a 2009 Dyna Street Bob. Its maybe the only year with the grey engine cases. I overhauled the suspension with longer travel Ohlins rear shocks and Race Tech progressive fork springs, 2-1 Rinehart exhaust and Screaming Eagle intake, blacked out the lower fork tubes and added some bolt on HD parts with the Harley #1 skull. The color is rare too. We figure they only made 100-200 in the Blue Denim paint.

Its a very functional and fun ride now. NonPCRN has the same 2009 model in Pewter Denim. Hoping he is enjoying his as much as I do mine.

-Tutt

donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

having lived in California most of my adult life, i agree with the statement about the politics and state policies. I've traveled the state extensively over the years and seen it's diversity...heck...i even went thru BCT at Ft Ord.

it's a truly beautiful state that's being ruined by the state legislature and those who control it.

i fear it's destined to only worsen; especially if Jerry Brown gets (re)elected...
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

i fear it's destined to only worsen; especially if Jerry Brown gets (re)elected...
Yup, and double yup. :( :evil:

-Tutt

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Cali is beautiful. More's the shame.... How hard is it to get a carry permit there? I mean if the Sheriff's gun friendly...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

You take the two day class, and the Sheriff only wants two words on the application: "personal protection". 8)

No, I'm not kidding.

Sonoma County, on the other hand, won't allow even the wives of LEO to carry so I was told in my CCW class. Go figure. :evil:

-Tutt

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well then, that makes it tolerable. Especially when you're tooling around on the bike and camping out. ;)

Good to hear.

And thanks for the great pics - that really is nice - I can hear the surf rythmically cycling against the beach... makes for great sleeping :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

i met clint walker in the general/hardware store in ferndale 25 plus years ago. a very nice,
big man.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

O.S.O.K., I really researched this place before I applied for work, got the job, and eventually moved here. It was very hard for me to believe I could get a CCW here too, and all the great shooting opportunities. Someday the Sheriff will change, and who knows what will happen then. But for right now, its a great place to live.

-Tutt

PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Tutt you are fortunate to be able to live and enjoy the beauty there.

When I last resided there...Jerry Brown WAS the Governor, and dating Linda Rondstadt at the time I think. Connie Chung was a local newscaster in Fresno, and Arnold Schwarzenegger was a young fella who was winning various body-building competitions.

My buddies and I rode our dirt-bikes all over that State. Pismo Beach, Kettleman City, Coalinga, Clear Creek to name a few.

Enjoy it, live it, ride it!!!!!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Paperpatch, PM sent.

BenT, glad I'm not the only one! Sounds like you had a very good time too.

-Tutt

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

AAHH Weott I spent 2 days there April '87while bicycling the west coast, explored the flooded out homes there and got feeling pretty good from the fermented (homemade) canned fruit they left behind. The little general store there also had 40 oz bottles of Colt .45 for $.79 However, I didnt go up the lost coast and can't remeber why!!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I once drove the PCH from Fort Bragg down to Laguna Beach. It was breathtaking. I can't wait to go back one day.

Thanks for the photos CT.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yep beautiful country up there. Riding season here don't start for another month or 2 :( which is why I got rid of my bike. But that will change when I hopefully get back out to Ca. Then I get to go bike shopping again. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Fun report Tutt. Glad to see you're getting out and about!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

great pics, Tutt, thanks for the tour.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

He wore a black denim trousers and motorcycle boots

And a black leather jacket with an eagle on the back

He had a hopped-up cycle that took of like a gun

That fool was the terror of highway 101.

Good stuff Tutt.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Yo Tutt, did you happen to see Jerry Garcia from the Greatful Dead standing on a street corner in Eureka? Heard he still visits the place...... :shock:

Ten years ago or so, I had the pleasure of being the project manager for an underground, trenchless technology utility rennovation on Humbolt State University in Arcata. There is some fine country between SF and there, still had hippies running around too!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good to hear from you, Tutt. Beautiful pics. Thank you.
Old Law Dawg
Halfbreed
Levergunner

Post by Halfbreed »

They should cut the state in half just north of the Golden gate and give the southern half to the Governator and call the northern part something else.
I have the good friend that lives along the Lost Coast and he posts his kayaking fishing videos on YouTube, check it out: http://www.youtube.com/user/LoletaEric
For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. 2Timothy 3:16
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

in bygone days I slowly cruised that highway in a '48 Chevy panel truck, trying to soak in all the fantastic scenery.

Cheers,

Carl
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

CowboyTutt wrote:O.S.O.K., I really researched this place before I applied for work, got the job, and eventually moved here. It was very hard for me to believe I could get a CCW here too, and all the great shooting opportunities. Someday the Sheriff will change, and who knows what will happen then. But for right now, its a great place to live.

-Tutt
Tutt for Sheriff! :P
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

There is no other place like N. Calif. I was stationed at Hamilton A,F.B long ago and lived in Petaluma. On week ends the wife and I would that our bike on rides. Highway 1 is breath taking, use to take it to Fort Ross (a very old Russian fort).
when your enemy is within range so are you
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

CowboyTutt wrote:Mohecken, yeah, that's my bike. Its a 2009 Dyna Street Bob. Its maybe the only year with the grey engine cases. I overhauled the suspension with longer travel Ohlins rear shocks and Race Tech progressive fork springs, 2-1 Rinehart exhaust and Screaming Eagle intake, blacked out the lower fork tubes and added some bolt on HD parts with the Harley #1 skull. The color is rare too. We figure they only made 100-200 in the Blue Denim paint.

Its a very functional and fun ride now. NonPCRN has the same 2009 model in Pewter Denim. Hoping he is enjoying his as much as I do mine.

-Tutt

OK, I forgot about the Street Bob, Nice looking bike, and cool pictures. I like to ride, too.
I have a 98 Dyna Wide Glide, (95th Aniversary), and an 04 Roadking. I bought the Roadking, planning to sell the Wide Glide, but I never liked the Roadking enough to turn loose of my old Wide Glide, so I have ended up with two Harleys, and like you I have done quite a bit to both bikes getting them like I want them. I guess I will just keep them.

Touring the countryside on a motorcycle, is IMHO, about the most enjoyable way to see the U.S.
NRA Life Member, Patron
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Touring the countryside on a motorcycle, is IMHO, about the most enjoyable way to see the U.S.
I would totally agree! I just added you to my friend's list. I have family in Kansas. Maybe some day we can hook up for a ride.

-Tutt

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

California is beautiful in most places. My wife was born in Davis, near Sacramento. Beautiful country there, too. I just don't choose to live there.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

CowboyTutt wrote:
I would totally agree! I just added you to my friend's list. I have family in Kansas. Maybe some day we can hook up for a ride.

-Tutt
That would be great, I would be all for that, sometime.
NRA Life Member, Patron
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Halfbreed wrote:They should cut the state in half just north of the Golden gate and give the southern half to the Governator and call the northern part something else.
Image Image
otteray
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Yep, politicians may be responsible, in part, for ruining California, but I'll go out on a limb here and say that rampant growth of the human population has had a lot to do with spoiling the state. I grew up in Southern California and left there about 47 years ago. I now live near Flagstaff, AZ which has lost some of its charm in the 43 years I've been here due to growth. When will the "powers that be" come to recognize that growth is not necessarily good for a place in terms of the quality of life of residents.

I'll cut this short so as not to hijack the thread. My thoughts in this regard probably belong in the political forum. :oops:

Nice photos of Northern California !!! It is beautiful up there. :)