Big Bore Rangers??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Big Bore Rangers??

Post by Kansas Ed »

While looking at the 307 thread, I noticed that it was stated that Winchester never made the BB in Ranger configuration...I know I've never seen one, so assumed it was probably correct. But then a few minutes ago I ran across this.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89843781

So what's up with this?? He says they are XTR's, but they look like Rangers to me. I can't figure if this is a fake, or if it's some Wal-Mart XTR run that Winchester did.

Any thoughts??

Ed
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

The angle of the photo provides kind of an optical illusion. That should be the standard 20" barrel but it's hard to tell that with the barrel angled away. Appears right proportionally for a 20" barrel. Looks like a standard "canoe paddle" Big Bore from 1983-4+ until the stock changed back over to the standard stock shape. Can't remember the year when they transitioned back at the moment but my 1992 Big Bore had the standard stock with XTR checkering. Hope this helps Ed.
Last edited by C. Cash on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Hmmm....see I was under the impression that all XTR's were factory checkered. Is this not so? I know our two top eject .375's were built in 78 IIRC, and both are checkered.

Ed
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Oops! Sorry Ed. I see what your saying...it's not barrel length that your talking(I had Trapper stuck in my head), it's the lack of checkering. Yeah, the lack of checkering is a bit strange. I do believe they made some without the checkering though. Slim Iorg could probably answer the checkering issue as he has seen a bunch of these.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I have the 1984 Gun Digest open in front of me, has the Monte Carlo stock with fine checkering advertised. Have to look some more at when this change might have taken place.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

These are not Ranger Models. Ranger Models had hardwood stocks. What you see is Walnut!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

Chris, Youre close. Look for the 1985 Edition of the Gun Digest and go to the rifle review section.
The rifle has no checkering, a paddle stock and sling swivels. I put the picture up on Beartooth awhile ago but dont remember where.
Slim
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

william iorg wrote:Chris, Youre close. Look for the 1985 Edition of the Gun Digest and go to the rifle review section.
The rifle has no checkering, a paddle stock and sling swivels. I put the picture up on Beartooth awhile ago but dont remember where.
Aha! I thought I remembered you mentioning this over at Beartooth on one of the Big Bore posts but couldn't recall. My brain ain't retaining much these days :? Thanks Slim!