OT - Incoherent rambling about "finishers"....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

OT - Incoherent rambling about "finishers"....

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Over the last couple years we've had need on no less than 3 occasions for a "finisher". Traditional method around here is the good ol chest stompin.

Chest stomping has a couple of different drawbacks though. First it's slow as heck, worse than watching paint dry or waiting for water to boil. Here ya are out in the middle of a field with a mostly dead critter, standing on it like it was already rugged out. Ya just hiked a 1/2 mile to get the shot and now here ya wait for the dumb thing to up and give up the ghost. Someone forgot to tell it that the gig is up and he sure ain't willin to go quick. 2nd problem is when that mostly dead critter figures out his jaws still work and makes you dance around out in the middle of the field screaming like a little girl. All the while your buddy with a spotting scope is watching and then proceeds to roll around on the ground laughing his butt off. Sure does make one move quick when that dang blasted critter decides to wake up.

In case I haven't been completely obvious about what a finisher is it's a last chance toothy critter killer. You know, when you walk out to fetch your prize and the toothy critter hasn't figured out it's suppose to be dead already from your stellar shooting.. A .22-250 at 2 feet has a tendency to ruin any value the critter has and chest stomping as described above can lead to issues. Sure I have all sorts of guns that can fill the role of "finisher" between .22's, .25's and .32's but all the above are belt guns cept my .25. And my .25 is a Raven for lords sake. The on/off dance we have to do to take a belt gun hunting here in Iowa makes them something I'd just as soon not have to deal with in regards to a finisher. Weight and size are also important. "Mouse guns" are the order of the day in this case. Something to slip into a pocket when you start the stalk or start callin.

Who the heck would take a Raven along on a hunt. Heck if the laughter from your buddies didn't do you in the critter laughing would. At least for the 1/2 second it takes you to put one in the noggin. I think the Raven will stay in the locker.

So here I sit thinkin about what to get for a finisher. 1st consideration needs to go towards caliber. About anything that won't remove the skull cap from a toothy critter will work with a .22LR leading the charge. But really anything from .22LR up thru .32HR shooting hardcast should do nicely.

After that things get really messed up in my mind. Things start to go against everything I have ever thought about with handguns or guns in general for that matter. Caliber and size are the most important but things like accuracy, decent triggers and even reliability move down the list. I mean lets face it it's not a primary or a SD weapon it's a finisher. A gun that shoots minute of noggin at 2 feet and shoots "most of the time" will work. Style and looks may very well take a front seat. I mean even a finisher has to have a cool factor right?

Possible finishers that come to mind are the Davis Derringers (in .22Lr and .32HR) and the NAA Mini's. With both you end up with a small gun and both retain somewhat of the cool factor. But All I know about the Davis's is a bad rep, small hammer, bad trigger and the fact that cost twice as much as they did pre Obama ($140-150 here locally now). All I know about the NAA's is they cost a good $100 more than the Davis's.

What say you? Suggestions? Info on guns mentioned? What do you use? Pictures can't hurt.

LK
Last edited by L_Kilkenny on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Incoherent rambing about "finishers"....

Post by rjohns94 »

NAA mini revolver in 22lr/22 mag would be great, they have many versions.
Berretta tomcat in .22 or .32
seacamp in .32.
Bond derringer in .22mag

just a few
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Rossi Model 68, .38 special
got five of them.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

For me, I think I'd go with a Smith Model 16 in 32 H&R Mag with the 6" barrel. Some day I will find one of these in mint condition for less that $1200. I think the .32 is the right size to seal the deal without getting too messy / crazy.

I do have a Smith 648 in 22 Mag that would probably do nearly as well with Winchester FMJs.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Hobie

Re: OT - Incoherent rambling about "finishers"....

Post by Hobie »

Freedom Arms Model 97 in .22 LR. Steel toed boots. Something in between.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

A 25 auto is in my front pocket most times whether hunting or not. I wouldn't be embarrassed to pull out my Baby Browning 25acp for a finisher, it's got some cool factor even if it is a 25. I suppose a 50 gr. fmj might penetrate the skull of a critter for a finisher. Something of similar size and weight in a 22 mag would be better I think.

Last edited by TedH on Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I think maybe you are missing what you have in your hand.
Carry in your pocket a couple sub-loads for whatever rifle you are carrying.
It takes very little in the ear to get anything smaller than you (and some bigger)
to "go to the light"!
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Keltec P32 or Ruger LCP.

Small, still has some defense value, weighs less than 9oz loaded.

A .32 or .380 FMJ will certainly do it.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

If packing a handgun is a legal PIA, have you considered loading some half-power/gallery loads for your rifle?

At powder burn range, a round ball at around 800-1000 fps ought to do the trick.

FWIW, I once killed a deer with a .22 Short Twist-2 Derringer. It was the only handgun in the hunting party and we didn't want to ruin a bunch of meat shooting it with another load of == buckshot.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Be careful of "finisher" guns... Several places I've hunted using a finisher is "illegal" because it doesn't meed the fishy game caliber requirements for the game at hand...

For example: I can shoot a Deer in Indiana with a .357 rifle or any .357 sidearm with a bbl of over 4", but if I decide to pull out my SP101 to "finish" a deer - or, God forbid, a .22 - I'm in deep kimchee with the guys in green...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thats a good point. I have used my j-frames to finish deer, but in PA, your allowed to carry while afieild if you have the proper license, even in archery season. I will have to ask about the finishing aspect to my buddies in green. I know I have used my bond derringer loaded with bird shot to finish mobile game birds (instead of running after the rascals)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

L_Kilkenny wrote:So here I sit thinkin about what to get for a finisher.LK
Just use what ya shot it with in the first place. If ya overthink it, it'll take the fun out of the hunt.

Like someone said above, a sub-caliber finisher may be illegal under the Fish and Game Laws.
ED
Yer never too old
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I generally carry a few light loads for small game and possible finishing shots, tho the ones I've made so far have been a head shot @ 75 yds with a 30-30, and a second shot @ 250 yds with a 30-06, both with standard loads.

Just remembered a finishing (head) shot with a 45 Colt.

Have made a number of finishing shots on road hit deer and antelope. 30-30 or pistol shot in the forehead works.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Washington, per usual, has to be different. You have to use a legal hunting arm as a finisher. IOW, if you are bow hunting, the finisher has to be an arrow. If you are BP hunting, a legal BP finisher. Modern? Same thing. That means no .22........Legal hunting pistols are .25+ caliber and bbl of 4" or greater. That means, a 4" .25acp is legal and a 3" .44mag is not... :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

While I have thought about using squibs outta my long gun it kinda takes the fun outta things don't it? As for what is legal for a "finisher" here in Iowa, anything goes for toothy critters (fox, coon, coyote, etc). Deer are a whole different matter. You can't even be in possession of a "below/above the specs" gun while in the field. If you are bow hunting you can't have any gun, if you are gun hunting the gun must be deemed acceptable. Handguns with 4" barrels or more using expanding ammo. Minimum is .357M. Can't carry a small caliber finisher while deer hunting. For deer we just use a knife to the neck or a 12ga to the cranium. Of course a 12 to the head of a deer does far less damage than a .22-250 to the head of a yote or fox nad not too worried about damage on a deer anyhow. Fox and coyote are differnet matter, we skin and sell em. For toothy critters I can use anything from a .22 short up to 50bmg if I care to.

The kicker in Iowa is in order to transport a handgun in a vehicle it has to be outside the passenger compartment or in a case too big to be concealed on a person (unloaded of coarse). Like I said, we have many guns that would make a good finisher including H&R 22's, Ruger 22's. Ruger 32's etc but they are belt guns. Not worth the hassle to take on-off, on-off, etc etc. Not to mention the fact that it's something more to carry and/or get snagged on stuff as you put the belly crawl on a critter. But a mini gun that slip into and outta the pocket won't even be noticeable. Plus, sounds like a new reason for a new gun don't it?

LK
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Old Hi Standard double derringer, accurate to 10 foot but for a finisher, OK. As to who sees me use it, I don't usually draw a crowd when i drop my deer but if it offends them they will be invited not to watch next time. My father in law used a Jennings J22 for years.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Base ball bat or a strong stick to lay across the neck and stand on while you draw a knife, simples :D
A good whackin on the noggin tends to calm most for a while any way. Long enough to administer a knife.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I took a guy deer hunting one time. Found a good little herd and he put 4 down. Problem was he expended all of his ammo getting those 4, and one decided it wasn't too dead yet. It got up and staggered into a very fast winter stream. Gary waded in after it and jumped it with his bowie, cut its throat and dragged it to the others.

I was sitting in my skiff with my wife and an infant son, laughing so hard I couldn't get the outboard started.

I always try to "finish" them with the first shot.

Grizz
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:For example: I can shoot a Deer in Indiana with a .357 rifle or any .357 sidearm with a bbl of over 4", but if I decide to pull out my SP101 to "finish" a deer - or, God forbid, a .22 - I'm in deep kimchee with the guys in green...
Yep - that's a stupid law. Of course it can be broken for the sake of humane treatment of the animal, and I have done that, although it is STILL illegal, regardless of 'motive'...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

The whole question is odd. Besides problems with using a nonlegal round and being sighted by fish and game, why not quickly and humanely dispatch your quarry with another round from your hunting weapon? Beats wasting time dugging out a popgun and fooling with a citation.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

buckeyeshooter wrote:The whole question is odd. Besides problems with using a nonlegal round and being sighted by fish and game, why not quickly and humanely dispatch your quarry with another round from your hunting weapon? Beats wasting time dugging out a popgun and fooling with a citation.
You need to re-read the post here Buckeye. There is nothing even close to illegal about about what I'm talking about, talking about predators not deer. The DNR can watch all they want. Apparently you have not seen what a .22-250 at 2 feet will do to the pelt of a furbearer and that you have no idea of the miniscule excuse I need to buy another gun :lol: .

I'm seriously looking at some of the Derringers out there. Always wanted one in the back of my mind and seems like a good excuse to buy one. As far as I know they are 4 current makers: American Derringer, Cobra, Bond Arms and Cimarron.

Thinkin this one would go nice with my birdshead Ruger .32M:
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Derrin ... ringer.htm

Also like this one (the Standard is a copy to the High Standard DA):
http://www.amderringer.com/das.html

Tell me what you can about the 4 brands? (Bond Arms is out due to cost, not even sure if they make a .32M or rimfire)

LK
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Thinkin this one would go nice with my birdshead Ruger .32M:
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Derrin ... ringer.htm

Well gosh darn you have one heck of a great woods/finisher right there with your Ruger birdshead .32M kilkenny. No need to look any further IMHO.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

35 Remington. :o

Although I gotta say, even with so-so shot placement, the
red tree rats usually don't need a finishing shot with
that caliber...........

-Stretch
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Granted you could do with less, but a Ruger Bearcat would be hard to beat, for that chore.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Another vote for the reduced power loads in the main battle rifle.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Casastahle carries one of the Cobra .22mags almost every day. I carry a bond in .357 quite a lot. The bond does have a rimfire barrel you can switch too. My current version is the texas ranger version, and I have removed the trigger guard. All in all, I coldn't be happier with it's quality, performance and feel in my hand.
The american Derringer is another I have handled a lot, that in 22 mag and it fits well in the hand and is well made also. The NAA mini revolvers are also, well made and would serve this function. The American Derringer, Bond and NAA all fall within about 100 dollars of each other. The Cobra and the NAA are about the same in cost.
Mike Johnson,

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

And,
Bond sells the following calibers: 22lr,32 H&R, .327, .357, 44 special, 44-40, 40 s&W, .45acp, .45 gap, 45 colt. 45 colt/.410.
Mike Johnson,

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

A Bond is a real gun, not a joke. Anybody I know wouldn't be embarrassed to have one. Further, if ya want one to really operate well, slick as a whistle, contact Jim at Cowboy Gunworks out of Derry NH, he can supply one all slicked up, trigger tuned down out of the stratosphere, etc.
Certified gun nut
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Thanks for the info guys, as always it's much appreciated.

Some of you thought my .32M was a perfect finisher and you're probably right. I've always thought the .32M was the perfect woods gun for around here. I'm still gonna buy a derringer, wanting one for too long not too but I'm also looking at carry options for the Single Six. Is there anyone out there that makes a clip holster for SA's? Something I can take on/off easy to make sure I stay within the letter of the law.

LK