Reloading 33 WCF

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nikkithehuntress
Levergunner

Reloading 33 WCF

Post by nikkithehuntress »

The new Hornady flexible tip 338 caliber bullet can be used to reload 33 WCF cartridges. Will these reloads cycle through the magazine and chamber in an original 1895 Marlin?
Hobie

Re: Reloading 33 WCF

Post by Hobie »

I would note that in the current 1895 Marlin (not exactly the same gun in several ways) Marlin found they needed a different follower for their .45-70s to allow for the gummy bullet tip in order to ensure functioning of the last round. Further, Marlin shortens the cases to allow for the additional cartridge length due to the different bullet shape. I would be prepared to eat the cost of the box of bullets but, IF they don't work one might salvage them if one was willing to snip the tips. That should bring their length to the correct dimensions and close to "correct" shape.

Another thing that would concern me is that the bullets are designed for the .338 Marlin's velocities which are some 300+ fps faster than the .33 Winchester. There might not be any problem at all but I'd check it out.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

and welcome to the show.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

You may have more room (length) in that older Marlin to work with. Perhaps someone that has one of the cartridges or bullets could give a length from the canalure to the tip?

We'd probably be able to provide better answers if you posted a picture of the old Marlin. Well, ok, not really, but it would be nice to see it. :mrgreen:
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
41bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41bear »

nikkithehuntress wrote:The new Hornady flexible tip 338 caliber bullet can be used to reload 33 WCF cartridges. Will these reloads cycle through the magazine and chamber in an original 1895 Marlin?
Being the proud owner of a 338 Marlin MX, which I love btw, I'll try to answer your question by saying maybe. The original 1895 was built to cycle ammo that has a OAL of 2.800 and the 33 Win has an OAL of 2.690. If, a biggie, the free bore and carrier of your gun is set at 2.800 then you should have no problem but please keep in mind that the gummy tip is longer than any 200 gr FN you will load and that means more pressure unless you can use that extra free bore to crimp the boolit at its proper place.

Good luck to you, let us know if this helps or not, and as with reloading for any old weapon please be careful.
DEO VINDICE

"if only one man among all of the rest will not break ...then all of them, all those who so despise men that they believe all men can be broken and all men can be bought, all of them have failed and all of them are defeated, because one alone destroys them and one alone can give heart to all other men." - Robert Crichton
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome to the board.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

welcome to the forum. the leverrevoulution factory rounds were designed to function in the newer marlins that marlin designed just for them. i've used them in 1886 carbine with good results. in my winchester bigbore .444, no such luck. unless you POSITIVELY work the lever they hang up. this is not the case with factory remington's and the excellent hornanday 265 flat points which hornandy discontinued :? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: . what i'm trying to say is , even though these factory loaded rounds chamber in my rifle, they don't function equally. you won't know for sure to load up 100 rounds and try em out.