OT- I need to find the perfect holster

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

OT- I need to find the perfect holster

Post by Mich Hunter »

Well, like the title says I am looking for that perfect holster. For what you say?? Well, for my perfect (IMHO of course) woods gun. Not to long ago, I stopped by my local gun pusher and he happened to have a near mint stainless Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag. What sold me is it had a 5in barrel. This has been one gun I have been looking for. Ruger recently came out with their Redhawk in a 4in model, but I really prefer the 5in. It has a good balance to it. Anyways, I have been looking up and down for just that right holster for woods carry, but can't decide. I am really leaning towards a Simply Rugged pancake as they are the cats meow. They also won't break the bank, but I really want to run a full cartridge belt. I am thinking the pancake holster won't work so well on a cartridge belt. What do you guys run?? Any idea's?
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- I need to find the perfect holster

Post by bsaride »

Years ago when I had that same pistol I carried it in a shoulder holster or
a Bianchi 5BHL (crossdraw) or something like that, not sure of the model
cuz I had a couple different holsters.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Take up leather working and make one of each.
You'll never stop.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

A PANCAKE WORKS FINE ON A GUNBELT IF IT IS MADE RIGHT. I MUST SAY THOUGH, FOR BIG SIXGUNS LIKE THAT I STILL PREFER A TOM 3PERSONS STYLE SHUCK OF HEAVY LEATHER, STRAIGHT UP NO RAKE, WITH A GOOD SAFETY STRAP.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

nice. :D
looks like that full flap was made for a 5" redhawk.
what a coincidence. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I have different holsters for different conditions. I prefer a deep western type holster for most of my sidearms as I want them protected from the elements and anything else, brush, rock, etc..
Old Law Dawg
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

I prefer a deep western type holster for most of my sidearms as I want them protected from the elements and anything else, brush, rock, etc..
Same here however I could not find anything close for a DA revolver when I was looking for that type for my M10. So I went with the simply rugged as it came the closest to what I was looking for.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have a simply rugged pancake that I use cross draw because my redhawk is my last ditch bear gun and I want to be able to field it with either hand. You never know which arm the bear's gonna be chewing on. That setup is a little awkward on my frame.

That said, I may make a tanker rig for the revolver and adapt it to my pack straps. Or use the Chesty straps that Rob adapts to the pancake.

Good gun to pack around

Grizz
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Rob Leahy also makes a Threeperson style holster patterned after the Lawrence 120. I have a couple of the sourdough pancake holsters and love them, but The next one I will order is going to be his 120.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My wife got me a 4" Redhawk for Christmas this past year and Jr. got me a Simply Rugged holster for it. I do feel a little strange walking around with out a snap on the holster but it has worked really well besides that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Of course you probably will want a belt holster, of somekind, but on a big gun, even with a sturdy belt, I have trouble keep my pants up, on a long walk, so I also like shoulder holsters, but many shoulder holsters are nearly worthless, as are quite a few belt holsters, too.

I recently ordered an original Dirty Harry shoulder holster, from Lawman Leather, for a 4 inch Smith and Wesson 44 mag. It's expensive, but you usually get what you pay for, if your lucky, that is. :wink:
NRA Life Member, Patron
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

IIRC, Simply Ruged makes a jimdandy non-pancake holster for large sixguns. I'll bet Rob can even make you a fine cartridge belt. Drop him a line and see what he has available. I'll bet you a soda that you can't beat Rob's quality.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think Rob makes the LOADED Sourdough as well. It has the cartridge loops on the outside of the holster. You will like his holsters. They were good when he started and they are VERY good now.

However, I have the 4" Redhawk. The 5" I can't see carrying strongside in the pancake although crossdraw would work. The Threepersons would work.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I just made a comment about 7x leather on another post but go to his website and look at his chest holster. I have no experience with it myself but know a couple people who have one and they ain't selling theirs. Wes is a fine man to do business with too(and no he isn't related and I don't get a finders fee just very happy with his work and demeanor). Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

The Redhawk is pretty heavy for a belt gun. I think I'd want a shoulder holster to carry anything that heavy for more than a fairly short period of time. Not that I can suggest a design, just noting that the one I have is uncomfortable when placed on even a fairly wide, heavy belt. And it pulls my pants down unless I cinch the belt up so tight I'm uncomfortable.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Lastmohecken wrote:Of course you probably will want a belt holster, of somekind, but on a big gun, even with a sturdy belt, I have trouble keep my pants up, on a long walk, so I also like shoulder holsters, but many shoulder holsters are nearly worthless, as are quite a few belt holsters, too.

I recently ordered an original Dirty Harry shoulder holster, from Lawman Leather, for a 4 inch Smith and Wesson 44 mag. It's expensive, but you usually get what you pay for, if your lucky, that is. :wink:
Wearing a pair of suspenders would be cheaper and probably more comfortable. If anyone makes a smart aleck remarks about belt and suspenders just tell them, "Yep, I'm a real Safety Man, Belt, Suspenders and Sixgun. Can't get safer than that."

Personally I've yet to find a shoulder holster that is really comfortable, especially with a heavy handgun.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad