Lever "wobble" problem.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ozymandias
Levergunner

Lever "wobble" problem.

Post by ozymandias »

Greetings,
This is my first post on this forum. I've lurked for a while and I'm happy now to be with all of you.

I've got a Winchester 94 AE (.357) with a considerable amount of "wobble" in the cocking lever. It's bad enough to allow me to push it to the side of the trigger stop. It's an accurate rifle and very enjoyable to shoot, but I'd sure like it a lot more if I could find a fix for the problem. Are thicker cocking levers available, or is there a way perhaps to shim it? Any help would be appreciated.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

That sounds like quite a bit of slack, but if you have to push it to make it go that far out (it doesn't go that far out of line just with normal cycling), I think you're ok.

"If it ain't broke..." :)
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Oh, welcome to the place!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Lever "wobble" problem.

Post by J Miller »

ozymandias wrote:Greetings,
This is my first post on this forum. I've lurked for a while and I'm happy now to be with all of you.

I've got a Winchester 94 AE (.357) with a considerable amount of "wobble" in the cocking lever. It's bad enough to allow me to push it to the side of the trigger stop. It's an accurate rifle and very enjoyable to shoot, but I'd sure like it a lot more if I could find a fix for the problem. Are thicker cocking levers available, or is there a way perhaps to shim it? Any help would be appreciated.

ozymandias
Welcome to the forum.

On my 1985 Win 94AE Trapper I can almost push the lever off of the trigger stop. I suppose if I pushed hard enough I could push it off. But I won't.
Towards the end of Winchesters production they were putting little wave washers between the lever and the link at the lever link pin. I'm thinking that if you could get one of those little washers and install it on the right side of the lever ( as you hold the rifle to shoot it ) this would tighten up the slop quite a bit.
Mdl 94s always have some play in the lever. It's the nature of the design.
The later ones that were made to be assembled without fitting are far looser than the earlier ones.

I would suggest calling Browning, they handle Winchesters parts and ask them if they still have some of the washers.
Winchester Parts: 1-800-322-4626

Finger Lever Link Washer;
Winchester number: U347150320

NOTE: I just downloaded the 2008 Winchester parts catalog and the part is still listed for $1.50.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire friend. :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcome to the Forum. Do as Joe suggests. It sounds like a little too much wobble.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ozymandias
Levergunner

Post by ozymandias »

Thanks all of you for your words of welcome.

Joe, you've done good! I just downloaded the 2008 Winchester parts catalog and they appear to have the Finger Lever Link Washer in stock (Brownells didn't have it). I'm going to figure out what other parts (firing pin, extractor etc.) I want to justify the shipping cost and I'll order a couple.

Thanks a bunch. Were it in my power I'd pour you a Hennessey and give you the remainder of the day off. Take care and thanks again.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

ozymandias,

You're very welcome, glad I could be of help.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***