WHAT TO LOOK FOR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

WHAT TO LOOK FOR

Post by two bit okie »

In the next couple of months I will start shopping for a winchester mod 94. 30-30, 32, or 35. dont really care what bigger caliber. Having never shopped for used lever lever action at all, what are some of the mechanical things to look for. Looks are highly secondary, and some charecter is actually appreciated.

opinions appreciated.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: WHAT TO LOOK FOR

Post by J Miller »

two bit okie wrote:In the next couple of months I will start shopping for a winchester mod 94. 30-30, 32, or 35. dont really care what bigger caliber. Having never shopped for used lever lever action at all, what are some of the mechanical things to look for. Looks are highly secondary, and some charecter is actually appreciated.

opinions appreciated.

From a shooters point of view, not a collectors, Winchester 94s come in three basic groups.
Pre-64s
Post-64s
Angle Ejects

There are many small variations in each group, but they ALL function basically the same way.

>When I look at one I first look for signs of abuse. Buggered up screw heads, big scratches, dents, rust, bent things, damaged sights. Some of those, like the buggered screws are an easy fix, but others aren't.
>I open the action and look around inside. Is it clean or at least fairly so? Is there debris and gunk inside? I once bought a used Win 94 that had animal hair and pine needles inside the action. Was still a good gun, but I'd love to hear it's stories.
Look to see if the inside of the action is dry. Some of these guns can be worn badly due to lack of lube. Pre-64's use two carrier screws, I once bought one that was so dry the carrier screws were almost worn in half and the lever to bolt pin was in the same condition. You can't see these without disassemble so appearance and feel is your only clues.
>I look at the cartridge guides. If they are loose it could be a sign that someone has messed with it. If they have been filed on, (yes I've seen them that way) that's a sure sign of feeding problems.
>Look at the carrier, if it's an early post 64 stamped one, is it bent? If so you'll almost always have to replace it.
>Look at the cartridge stop at the front of the link. Is is smooth at the end or jagged? If it's jagged it's broke and you'll most likely have under the carrier jams. It's fixable, but ...
>With the action open, push the firing pin forward so you can see the tip. It should be smooth and rounded. If it's chipped or rough or pointed you could end up with pierced primers. Also look at the breech face around the firing pin hole. If it's bulged out right around the firing pin hole, yet other wise smooth that's a sign of extensive dry firing. If the breach face shows a lot of wear around the firing pin hole that looks like the primer and then a larger wear area the size of the case head, that's a sign of a lot of shooting. Again that doesn't mean it's a bad gun, just something to be aware of.
Oh, bubba can mess up a firing pin fix too. The 94 I bought with the worn screws and pin also had a broken firing pin that was fixed by drilling out the front end and sticking a nail in it. Pointy end out. Talk about piercing primers :o :o
>Look at the extractor, the hook should be sharp and come to a squared bottom. I've seen them broken and jagged too.
>Look at the bore, is it dirty-then ask for a cleaning rod and a patch. I've seen lots of dirty guns on the rack for sale. Lots of lazy folks out there that don't clean their guns.
>Work the action, ignore the sound and ignore the side to side play on the lever. All Win 94s have wobbly levers, some more than others, and they all make clackety clack noises.
What you are looking for is does the action work right. Cycle the lever down and near the end of the stroke the carrier will snap up and should stay up. Stick your finger in and push down on the carrier. It should take some pressure to over come the carrier spring. If it just falls down then either the carrier spring or the carrier or both are damaged.
Cycle the lever back and close the action. You shouldn't feel any binding.
The early post-64s had a curve on the bottom of the bolt and sometime that curve causes a bit of a drag as you close the action. That's just the nature of it as it's actually pushing the hammer down as it passes over.
>With the hammer cocked push it forward. Your checking for push off. This should not happen. If it does somethings wrong or broken or someone did a bubba style trigger job.
>Look at the muzzle. Check for damage around the crown and wear on the rifling just inside. Crown damage is a fairly easy fix, but worn rifling could require much more extensive repair.

This is the basics I check out. Modern Win 94s are usually carried a lot and shot little. Those made before WWII can be heavily shot because they were real working guns then.

Hope this helps some.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Joe, that was an awesome answer. That's going in my 'clip and save' file for next time I look over a used gun.

Thanks...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Since you stated <winchester> then you are limiting yourself a touch on character :D The easiest way is to buy pre 64 that covers it all. I do have a 356 BB that I really do like which is obliviously post 64 but not CBS. I like many despise , hate ,rue ,disparage , and in all manner of acceptable language dislike the winchester cross bolt safety( and don't mind and in some cases like the Marlin safety).If you are wanting an newer Winny you may want to look at some of the commemorative' s .I have a 1899 made, model 94 that even today is very sound and I do believe that the fact that it was made that long ago weighs on my pride of ownership. However I also have a 1900 made 1893 Marlin that I value more as having character.YMMV. good luck and have fun looking
great answer and detail JOE
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Nice answer, Joe.

I might also look at the muzzle and make
sure the crown is in good shape. Some
polishing from cleaning patches is okay, but
be mindful of gouges dings that reach the
edge of the bore, and obvious abrasion from
(too!) enthusiastic cleaning.

-Stretch
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Joe,

You da Man! :mrgreen:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

stretch wrote:Nice answer, Joe.

I might also look at the muzzle and make
sure the crown is in good shape. Some
polishing from cleaning patches is okay, but
be mindful of gouges dings that reach the
edge of the bore, and obvious abrasion from
(too!) enthusiastic cleaning.

-Stretch
Stretch,
Thanks for the reminder. It's something I always check by habit, but usually forget to mention.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***