Longest shots on the History channel, question?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Longest shots on the History channel, question?

Post by BigSky56 »

I was watch the History channel the other night and they had a 2 hour special on about the longest shots by snipers and gave credit to a Canadian sniper using a bolt action 50 cal at 2657 yds but it took 3 shots to connect whereas Hathcock used a Ma duce with his own scope mount and made a one shot connect at 2500 yds, me thinks Carlos still holds the record? danny
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: Longest shots on the History channel, question?

Post by Doc Hudson »

You are not alone Danny!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

To play Devil's advocate, wasn't the Canadian using ammo (U.S.) that he was unfamiliar with because he ran out of Canadian ammo.?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

deerwhacker444 wrote:To play Devil's advocate, wasn't the Canadian using ammo (U.S.) that he was unfamiliar with because he ran out of Canadian ammo.?

Yup but if I recall right our ammo was hotter & thats what enabled him to reach out that far. Hathcock, again if I recall right had the opportunity to sight his gun in at that 2500 yards making his shot I'd think easier. All that aside 2500 yards is a looonnnnng way out there and both these gentlemen deserve recognition for their achievements.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The Canadian used a Barrett light 50 and Hathcock used a M2HB mg! I think, based on my experience with ma deuce that he was a little bit lucky despite having mounted glass on that gun. Still, no matter how you slice it those guys at the other end were mighty unlucky. A lesson to be learned there as well. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

What I thought was cool was that program where the best new round was that new .416 beating the pants off the .50 at 2500ft and beyond. The .50 dont have the steam at that distance compared to the .416.

Also the accuracy was better because of improved ballistics. Neat Show!

This is Cool-------------
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/categ ... 46hFCcN98D
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Hobie wrote:The Canadian used a Barrett light 50 and Hathcock used a M2HB mg!
The Canadian was using a McMilan Tac-50
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

IIRC from the Hathcock book, his first shot took the forks out of the bike, and it was the second shot that did the guy in.

Ed
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Ed he saw that the vc was a 12 year old kid carrying guns and ammo on the bike and decided not to shoot the kid and shoot the bike instead, then when he hit the bike it went down the kid got up and shot at him he decided to put him down. danny
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Whitefeather Hathcock was an Arkansaw squirrel hunter, nuff said.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Hell!

i ain't gonna lie about it. i couldn't even SEE a man at 2500yards, much less shoot him!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I agree with Danny.

Heck, I shoot p-dawgs at 200 yards with my .22lr...
.... usually on the second or third shot out of my 10/22 or Marlin 60.

Don't make me a sniper.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Maybe not but it suggests that you have more advance skills than many...
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I guess I worded that wrong.
If you can hit a target from a mile and a half, you are a good marksman, even if it takes you two or three shots. Especially in a war setting.

But I don't think it can count as the longest shot unless you read your conditions, set your dope, and connect on the first shot. My opinion.

My p-dawg shooting is no tough feat. When the .223 barrel needs to cool, the semi-auto .22 (I call it "Thumper") with a scope comes out. 1st shot is for effect (if it hits, great!) adjust and quickly fire a 2nd or 3rd (if necessary) shot to make the hit. I can shoot a .22 several times for less than the cost of a reloaded .223 round.

But it is much more fun to shoot the Howa "Vaporizer" and watch the show :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Even those who go to a gun range a few times a year are still better off than those who never go. If I had the time and money, I'd go more often. My eyesight and shooting skills aren't what they used to be. I just can't do the open sights at 100 yards anymore. Both Gunny Hathcock and the Canadian were great shots, and they get my admiration.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

piller wrote:Even those who go to a gun range a few times a year are still better off than those who never go. If I had the time and money, I'd go more often. My eyesight and shooting skills aren't what they used to be. I just can't do the open sights at 100 yards anymore. Both Gunny Hathcock and the Canadian were great shots, and they get my admiration.
May I suggest that you try a ghost ring rear sight I was in the same predicament until I found XS Sights ghost ring sights I can now shoot 6 shots from my Marlin 1895GS 45-70 into 6" @ 150 yards where I couldn't even do that @ 100 yards with the stock rear sight...

When using a ghost ring sight you do not focus on the rear sight you look thru it and only focus on the front sight so you are no longer trying to focus 3 points.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

My Vote goes to Mr. Furlong, but I'm biased...because I'm a proud Newfie, and a Canadian.

As a young man I was fortunate enough to be part of a Canadian army reserve's shooting team. Our one instructor was an old retired Warrant Officer Anderson who had served with the PPCLI and the Airborne Regiment; as well as instructed at Canada's sniper school. This W.O. was also a grad of the USMC sniper scout course. He told us while down on the USMC course, Mr. Hathcock had joined them for a little shooting, He said when Mr. Hathcock slung up and aimed his rifle, blood began to ooze thru the shoulders of his shooting jacket, where his burnt skin was tearing. Our instructors message was clear; "use your sling to cinch up on your rifle, and do it the same way everytime".

I was simply a private on a reserve shooting team, but it was an honor to be taught just the basics of shooting by a graduate of both the USMC and Canadian Forces sniper program's. When I watch this interview of Mr. Furlong http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q76G7F4 ... re=related I see the same humble, firm, kind, easy going, yet professional demeanor, that I saw in my old teacher and in the video's of Mr. Hathcock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJONj95 ... re=related .

If we asked the American's on the ground during operation anaconda they would say “Thank God the Canadians were there,”one GI said. Here is a VFW link to an article from which I cut and pasted the above quote, http://www.bmsl.ca/vfw.pdf

May Mr. Hathcock rest in peace and may Mr. Furlong be safe in his new career as an Leo. Both men and their fellow snipers are national treasures. I'm sure neither of them care who we think is the greatest; as each of them are certain they are the greatest! grin...... None of them shot for records but rather to protect their brothers in arms.
Last edited by samb on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

If any of you doubt the cinching up the sling till it draws blood story consider this.

When I was in high school we had a rifle team and I went to the national matches at camp perry. Mixed in with everything else was qualifications with m16's by the army marksmanship training unit. One of there specific warnings to the small bore crowd was that using a sling the way we wanted to would bend the barrrel!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In the Infantry, I remember that we had fewer bent barrels when the M16A2 came out with the heavier barrel. We didn't have a bunch of bent barrels, but they happened about 4 or 5 times a year in the Company. The first thing noticed would usually be that a cleaning rod section would break off inside the barrel. We were a little rough on the M16 because of hitting the dirt and rolling and some other things which I don't need to do anymore. It was all fun at the time, but I would hurt myself if I got that rough now.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost