OT- Good iron sights for my sixgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Good iron sights for my sixgun

Post by Andrew »

I was sitting here thinking about shooting, which I often do, and was pondering on the sight picture my Blackhawk gives me. As far as I can tell it's just factory sights and they give you the typical notch rear and ramp front. They actually work very well and have allowed me to put some good stuff on paper at least a few times. They problem comes when I step back a bit and they start to seem kind of bulky and crude. I am kind of ignorant to what "good" sights might be so I was wondering if any of you sixgun guys have any favorites that you use? Or maybe I should quit complaining and go back to the range and practice some more? :?
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Good iron sights for my sixgun

Post by kimwcook »

Andrew, practice with any firearm is always a good suggestion. Especially handguns.

Check Clement's web site as he makes front sights and you might find something you like better than factory. http://www.clementscustomguns.com/home.html
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The sight picture like you get from the adjustable sights on a S&W, Colt, Ruger, etc is about the best there is. "IF" the sights are straight with the gun. That is, the front sight is perfectly vertical and in line with the rear. If they tilt, they are miserable.

Practice makes perfect with any sights, it's just easier with good sights like your Ruger has.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Andrew It would depend on what capacity you expect to use your belly gun if its a SD weapon for predators or ? you dont even need sights because at close range its point and shoot if you are hunting with it your age determines the sights, young eyes OME older eyes one of those peep blades or red dot and distance shooting a scope. I have a friend that takes elk with a 45 blkhawk and open sights usually every season. One of my pistols doesnt even have a front sight blade that I carry for SD in the mtns. Practice. danny
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Bowen makes a very nice sight set up for the Blackhawks
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't have a picture, but within a couple of months of getting my first centerfire handgun (Ruger Supe Blackhawk), I had a 'smith put a ramp and gold-bead on the front, and filed my own new rear blade out of an old hacksaw blade (to be sure the edge would be hard where the 'detent' in the adjustment screw contacts it). I liked the more 'rifle' type setup.

That was when I was 18 (...a teenager with a .44 Magnum... Oh My! :roll: ).

Now my eyes don't have the same acuity, and I've found that once again, my 'rifle' preferences migrate to my handguns (at least the 'hunting' type ones), and I put a 'ghost ring' rear blade in. This one was pre-made but I forget who makes it. It has a much larger aperture (maybe 3/16" ?) than the rifle ones we use, due to the distance from the eye, but it works great. Fits in the factory 'base' as simply a new 'blade'.

Here's one I just made for a .22 Revolver - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 68&start=0 - the picture doesn't really 'capture' the sight picture that well, but I think I'm going to really like it.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "