OT- tv show "Pawn Stars" on history channel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

OT- tv show "Pawn Stars" on history channel

Post by Streetstar »

Kind of a fun show --- usually have an interesting firearm or edged weapon every episode, also lots of cool memorabalia people try to pawn in Las Vegas

watching tonight (dont know if it was a re-run or not) -- the fella running the shop purchased an 1886 Winny in .45-90 tonight and test fired it. Have had some cool victorian era flintlocks and musketoons , etc.
Just pure entertainment and possibly worth a watch if you guys are ever bored and its on
----- Doug
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- tv show "Pawn Stars" on history channel

Post by rangerider7 »

I record the series. Very interesting show and I love to watch the interaction between the family and Chum. Plus you can learn alot about value of different items.
"That'll Be The Day"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I haven't seen the episode where they bought the particular rifle but saw a show where they discussed another item at a glass case in which there was an engraved 1886 take-down with multiple barrels. I check out the background as there are some interesting things there, too.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

It is an entertaining show. As noted, each episode usually contains a weapon of some sort. Have seen some real shames too - someone who took steel wool to an original 1849 Pocket Pistol for example. A couple guys have come in with what they thought were real flintlocks only to find out they were well-made reproductions. One of them was burnt to the tune of several hundred bucks IIRC. I like to see the restorations that they do on some of the soda machines, juke boxes, cars and the boat. There are some really talented people in the area!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yes, I like it! :D
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I think it is a great show. I especially enjoyed the one when the old man brought in an original HotchKiss cannon. Tom.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

My wife and I get a kick out of it too. In fact, this Sunday we're going to drive to Vegas for a few days to see the sights and catch a show. She Googled the name 'Gold and Silver Pawn' and found out it's just down the street from the Wynn where we're staying. We thought we'd drive over and check it out in person. Stay tuned.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If Obamacare drives me out of medicine, I'd seriously consider applying to work at a busy pawn shop; the fascinating variety of things and people to deal with would be intellectually more stimulating than 'modern medicine' seems to be if it becomes all government-protocol care.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

My favorite was the British proofed French damascus barreled cut-down hammer double with the spring loaded bayonet from about 1750-ish. He traded $4k in guitar for it. The guy kept calling it a "coaching gun" when he meant "coach gun". I would love to have had that one and I would have NEVER solid it to a pawn shop because my wife didn't like guns.

Here are some more pictures of it.

Apparently they sold it already ... for $24k.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
Apparently they sold it already ... for $24k.

Ouch ! I was curious what they actually sold some of those items for ---- talk about a home run ! The show is cool, but -- hey - its a pawn shop. My local pawnshop sells things like MArlin 336's, Mossberg shotguns and Stevens bolt rifles for about the same (and sometimes more) than you can purchase at a legitimate gun shop or sporting goods store :shock: -- boggles the mind--- not to mention rows and rows of used craftsman socket sets and the like for close to retail prices
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Personally, too much canned drama. But, the stuff you see is real neat :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Never ceases to amaze me the price people will pay, or expect to get paid, for junk, or how people are willing to sell their heritage for a couple of bucks.

They do get some interesting stuff though.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Yes, I like it! :D
+1 for met too! great show...love the "old man"
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I love the show, but I'm sure a lot of it is staged like most reality shows. Some fairly informed buyers bring in high dollar items that I'm sure they would sell on Ebay in reality. I can't imagine an educated buyer selling something for 1/2 of what the "expert" just told them it was worth. Or people selling so many high dollar cars and motorcycles to a pawn shop instead of the local classifieds. I'm sure a lot of the stuff with Chum is staged as well.
cwo4uscgret
Levergunner

Post by cwo4uscgret »

In my opinion, the only thing worth watching on the show is the personal interaction between grandpa, dad, son, and Chumley (I think he's a nephew).

Someone on another forum was in Vegas recently and went to the shop - they restricted him to 15 minutes inside the store; he got a photo, outside, taken with Chumley.

My take on the show is when they are filming their parking lot has to be like the Antiques Roadshow; people lined up with their "treasures' (or trash) and appraisers/evaluators looking at and screening things...hey, here's a nice Dutch East Indies Company Ship's Bell recovered from a sunken ship in the South Pacific...and they just happen to have a Dutch East Indies Company collectibles expert a phone call (in Vegas?) away. Then, the appraisal - yes Rick, its worth $15,000 and is the real deal. So he offers the woman $5,000 and she takes it - after a feeble counter offer of $8,000.

I get the same warm fuzzy (NOT!) feeling when I watch Pickers. Entertainment, but not much more.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Its still fun to watch even if staged
when your enemy is within range so are you
Rustolium
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rustolium »

I think it's funny how almost every other person they interview says "this was owned by so and so, it has a lot of sentimental value to me, so I'm going to pawn it off." I don't understand how something passed down in your family that has sentimental value to you can be sold off for nothing. I guess people don't understand sentimental value anymore.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

One of the episodes I saw while living in the barracks back last fall was the guy with the $25K cannon...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!