Winchester 94 AE 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 94 AE 30-30

Post by bcraig »

Hi, just walked out of a pawnshop with the rifle listed in subject line. Rifle does not have any safety but does appear to have rebounding hammer. Rifle has 4 or 5 tiny dots of light rust on reciever(pinprick in size and almost just a discoloration) that I think I can get to go away with some 0000 steel wool/ has BSA classic 4x scope in see thru mounts . straight stock and wood id a good 95%. I did not know what this rifle was worth but I paid $375.00 out the door for it. Did I get hurt on the deal ?

Also rifle seemed quite a bit lighter than the Marlins I have had. On average are these rifles good shooters? Whats usually the best shooting grain factory load for big whitetails out to say 200 yards? I do reload also so what would be a good powder for this catridge? I currently only have H- 4895 that i use for an 8mm Mauser. Lots of questions I know and I appreciate yall,Craig
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94 AE 30-30

Post by Nath »

I used H4895 in mine, good find well done :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

IMHO, yes you did good. The scope is a bargain type but you can take that off. These are good shooters yes and I have found that the 170 grain Winchester PP's or Rem Corelocts shoot the most accurately but only the rifle can tell you what it likes.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Craig,

You didn't get hurt at all by that price. Matter of fact you did pretty darn good.

I'm not a scope type person, preferring peep sights myself, but if you are going to leave the handle on it, you might get a better sight picture by using standard mounts rather than the see through mounts. That just makes it more comfortable when you shoulder the rifle. The stocks on Winchesters are built more for the iron sights than scopes.

Winchesters are lighter than Marlins. One of their positive features.

Big white tails out to 200 yards? Beats me, I'll have to leave that question to those that actually hunt. :oops: But considering I do have a favorite load I'd probably use that. 150gr Speer over 34.5grs of Win 748.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Congrats! You got a good price, and I am sure you will love the rifle.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Joe makes a good point about the mounts - those high see-through mounts are horrible.

Many use the BSA scopes and are happy - if you are inclined, give it a shot. Some good lower mounts will make it much much better for shooting with the scope.

Here are some good Millits that are on sale at midway http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=676453 Only $12 for the bases - good price! Then you need some standard, turn-in rings.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Rifle has 4 or 5 tiny dots of light rust on reciever(pinprick in size and almost just a discoloration) that I think I can get to go away with some 0000 steel wool]

NO, NO - A Thousand times NO ! ! :roll: You will be VERY sorry, if you do that, as it will cause virtually irrepairable damage to the receiver plating/finish.

Nice catch, all the same - I'd just oil/wax it & take 'er shootin' !

bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Hi, thanks for the replies. Just curious as to why 0000 steel wool will hurt anything? I have used it for that purpose before and never noticed any problem,that i noticed anyway.However if it will do damage to the rifles finish I certainly wont use it !Thanks,Craig
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I think Pete thought you have one of the cast receivers that is plated. That is not the case. The AE receivers are forged steel with regular bluing. 0000 steel wool shouldn't damage it.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Marc wrote:I think Pete thought you have one of the cast receivers that is plated. That is not the case. The AE receivers are forged steel with regular bluing. 0000 steel wool shouldn't damage it.
Your'e right, Marc. They went back to forged receivers a little while before the angle ejects came out. Some of the later top eject ones are forged as well, I believe. Bcraig, you should soak your 0000 steel wool with a bit of gun oil before rubbing lightly. You'll just rub off the surface rust spots that way, and there should be no damage to the blueing at all. If the outside is pitted, though, you'll probably have to just live with the blemishes (without the rust) showing.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I've been wondering as well. Does anyone have the definitive year Win went back to forged? I've heard various things: USRAC changeover (a few years before AE), AE, etc. I've got a couple late post "Winchesters" (not USRAC) - '79s that "appear" to be forged like my Pre 64s (and they certainly have the improved cast--vs stamped-- lifters). Some folks have also suggested that these are likely still the same scintered metal underneath as the earlier posts, but with better surface treatment. They look a darn sight better than the earlier posts anyway. One of these is pristine, the other with some very minor surface rust spots that's begging for a little treatment such as the OP is asking.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1983 when USRA took over production. Or ALL AEs. YES, steel wool is very agressive, use 0000 BRONZE wool lightly impregnated with a mild silver or brass polish.

And ALL Winchester 94s have a "trigger block safety." Unless the lever is pulled tight to the lower tang the trigger is blocked. If your lever DOESN't fall slightly to allow this safety to engage, your action is TOO tight.

"World's foremost light rifle."
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!