OT - Show us your 1911's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Show us your 1911's

Post by rjohns94 »

I love to see how people either keep 'em stock or slick 'em up. I have owned a bunch of 1911's over the years, and still have a soft spot for them. Here is mine, a Sig 1911 TTT. Has Adjustable night sights, skelteon hammer, extended beavertail, high cap mag, and really nice grips, and frame work. Duo tone steel frame, solid guide rod, extended safety release and checkered mag release. Match barrel, recoil lug, trigger job, springs and bushing. It can shoot better than I can, perhaps the most accurate I have owned.

Galco leather keeps it close when I carry it.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Show us your 1911's

Post by TedH »

Here's my Springfield. It started out as a MilSpec, but I wasn't happy with it's accuracy. So I started upgrading a couple pieces at a time, starting with a Wilson Match Grade barrel and bushing. One thing led to another and now I have as much invested in aftermarket parts as I paid for the gun new. But, it shoots like a house afire now and I love it!

NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I know I've posted this pic many times before. Sorry, I need to take some new ones, but for now, here's my primary 1911.

I really need to take some of my Colt Officer's Model so I could post it.
Old Law Dawg
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

1970 Colt Combat Commander, factory facelift in 1975. All original except I put CM Thin Grips on it, ClipDraw and Wilson Combat magazines. This was carried for 25 years as a duty gun. Supposed to have 4000 rounds through it. I've shot another 450 with no hiccups at all.

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Joe, I remember you getting that from Uncle if IRRC. How's it feel on your side?
Old Law Dawg
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

If I shoot it a lot I get bit on the thumb web. Not enough to make me change to a beavertail or anything. It functions perfect and is accurate, particularly with Rem Golden Saber 230 gr and CCI Gold Dot 230 gr. I wish I could have found smooth, thin grips but CM doesn't make the smooth one any more.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I only have 3, my full-size 1991A1, my 1969 Commander, and my 1980-something Combat Commander.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mine are pretty basic -- basically purchased the Springfield to "get my feet wet" in the 1911 arena -- i did not know a lot about the platform and wasn't sure i wanted to spend $1700 bucks on a Nighthawk -- so i bought this and have immediately stoked with its accuracy. Being the GI replica, i dont plan on changing a thing, its fun and simple. (But the Nighthawk is still in the back of my mind later on )
The compact model is an RIA. Unlike many of the compact Kimbers and Colts, this one has a steel frame, so its a chunky, heavy little gun, ---- it has a few nice parts like the beavertail and combat hammer stock, but came with the GI type sights also --- Since this one is one of my bedside guns, i think a switch to a Novak sight setup will be in order, but thats it .

----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

My photos leave a lot of room for improvement!
Colt Mil-Spec 1991A1(1993 bought new---completely stock
http://s581.photobucket.com/albums/ss25 ... g&newest=1
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Springer 1911A1 with some OSOK upgrades... but nothing permanent. Shoots like a house afire.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

This is my "Texican BBQ Pistol." :lol:

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Colt's Government Model 45 ACP Series 70 pistols -

Made in 1970 -

Made in 2002 or 2003 - low serial number -

AMT Longslide - 1987 -

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I hate to admit this, but I have never owned a 1911 style pistol. In fact I only one "pistol", a Sig 228, everything else is a revolver.

I think it has to do with the crappy sights. I need fiber optics, on a handgun, (aging eyes) or I'm just wasting ammo. If I could find a 1911 that I could put the TruGlo TFO sights on, without machining, I would probably jump in.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

mine just looks pretty much like a GI standard issue. it's cheap, I mean low cost. American Classic made in the Phillipines. The only thing I've done is melt the edge of the grip safety and add some sand paper to the upper grip.

Grizz
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

]attachment=0]colt 1911.jpg[/attachment]

Stock, early 90's, Colt. Complete with plastic trigger and mainspring housing. It took about 500 rounds to break this one in... I did swap the factory rubber wrap around grips for some thin Houges... I grip the pistol correctly with thinner grips.

This one will go off for a massage some day. I'd like a better trigger, a steel mainspring housing and better sights.
Accuracy was very good out of the box... I won't spend much money in this one until it wears a bit. It's a daily CCW gun.
It rides in a equally obsolete Bianchi Pistol Pocket without the thumbreak.

Someday.. maybe an STI officers model will show up... if I can squirrel some acorns away for it.
You guys all keep some nice iron.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Not the best image, and I suppose there're people that'd say it's not a true 1911.

On the other hand, it's in .357 mag at the moment, there's most of a case of 10mm here waiting to run through it when I swap parts to that again and there's both 5" and 6" .45 WinMag barrels to choose from whenever I decide to go all "Tim Taylor" with it...
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

rjohns94 wrote:I love to see how people either keep 'em stock or slick 'em up. I have owned a bunch of 1911's over the years, and still have a soft spot for them. Here is mine, a Sig 1911 TTT. Has Adjustable night sights, skelteon hammer, extended beavertail, high cap mag, and really nice grips, and frame work. Duo tone steel frame, sold guide rod, extended safety release and checkered mag release.

Galco leather keeps it close when I carry it.
Beautiful pistol, Mike. Well done.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

It's an M1914 actually, but we won't hold that against it. :wink:

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

One of the guns I most regret selling is the 1911 I modded from a LW Officers & a Stainless Commander. (Officer's frame, Cdr slide)

In later years (for about 2 years) Colt sold the same mod as the "CCO".

I shot that gun a LOT - competed with it in IDPA actually, before they turned to Space Guns...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Colter
Levergunner

Post by Colter »

ImageI rescued this 70 series off of Gunbroker for about the price of an RIA. The trigger is silky smooth and has been very reliable. Don't have to worry about holster wear its been there done it. Colter
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

This one's a bit more up to date:

Kimber Eclipse Target II.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

>>>If I shoot it a lot I get bit on the thumb web.<<<

My 1914 does that too. Enough that I don't shoot it much despite it being accurate, solid and really a smooth runner. It's funny because I used to scoff at beavertail safeties until I got an M1911 (no "A1") type pistol. Suddenly it all became painfully clear!

If it weren't so valuable I'd probably swap some parts out but it's probably best kept as a locker queen to shoot occasionally.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have two 1911 "style" pistols...

This is an Auto-Ordnance with sambar stag grips. Bought it used with Pachmyr grips for a song. Thing shoots great. Considering having it reblued to spruce it up a bit, and have the finish match the grips.

This one has several Wilson aftermarket replacement parts.

One of my primary carry weapons is my Para-Ordnance P12.45.

Only thing not factory on this is the set of Pachmyr wrap-around grips.

Good things do come in small packages! :wink:

That being said, I think I'm in love with OJ's Longslide!!! :lol:
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Here is my latest. Only change I've made is to install a short trigger to better fit me. Talk about a shooter!

Group is 50rds, draw and fire single and double taps at 15 and 25yds.

Also own a Springfield Armory Mil Spec and a Kimber Pro CDPII, but have no pictures of them. On the Kimber I installed a short trigger, slim McCormick grips and a factory Colt arched mainspring housing. On the Springfield I replaced the factory ILS system with a standard Colt mainspring housing with a Brown 19# mainspring and double diamond rosewood grips.

All three will shoot into two inches at 25yds, and the Baer is supposed to shoot into 3" at fifty, but I ain't good enough to prove It. :lol:
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have several 1911s. My favorite is a Colt GM. Here is a pic of my "brush pistol". A Norinco 1911A1, King sights, ambi-safety, and good Texas mesquite grips. It has Wolfe springs throughout and a home trigger job. The standard load is 452423/4.7/Bullseye. Not a show piece, just a good honest pistol that works for a living. Should something untoward befall it, there is no great loss of money and I have another waiting to replace it should that become necessary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Here are mine. Wish I could reload fast enough and find time to get out and shoot them as much as I like. Hard to not smile holding these.

This is my BBQ gun; Springfield Loaded. I generally don't like stainless 1911s, but for the deal I got, I couldn't pass it up. After a day at the range, it easily became the favorite. A trigger smooth as butter and the most accurate of the bunch.

This is my Colt. Had to have at least one Colt in the stable. Honed the trigger down to 4.5lb, put a new EGW bushing on it, had the barrel throated, and the feed ramp polished. Just as reliable and accurate as any other 1911 I've ever owned, with the exception of the Loaded.

This is my Springfield GI. Picked this one up for nostalgia sake. Although not an authentic WWII era, it was as close as I could get for what I wanted to pay. Put a new EGW bushing on it and honed the trigger to 4.5#. Just as accurate and reliable as the Colt.

This is my carry piece; an early Mil-Spec Springfield Champion 4" with the standard barrel bushing setup. Conceals easily and shoots 3.5" at 25yds. I never leave home without it.

...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

colt 1911 70 series nickel with mother of pearl grips and smith and wesson 29 3 inch nickel with smooth presentaion targets.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... s008-1.jpg
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My 1911s.

Delta Elite( that I don't have anymore/long story)
Colt Combat Elite (HS graduation present),
WWI 1911 made 1913 and still all original for that yr. mfg,
Ithaca 1911a1 made on a leftover WWI Colt frame (just like the book says it should be),
Two Argentine System 1927s made under Colt license for their military.
One is proofed "C.F.S." With an (A) SN# prefix. The personal Police force of Juan Peron.
Wish that one talk.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

This is my Colt Officers Model, I did all the work on it myself, milled the slide for Novac sights, lowered and flared ejection port, grip safety, safety, hammer, trigger, hand cut checkering and a bunch of other stuff.
Finally decided I would get it on my concealed license permit, had to renew last month and got the OM added on, still waiting on my renewal but it should get here before my old one expires.
Picked up a nice used Don Hume, inside waistband holster on another forums classifieds that looks and feels like it will be perfect for the job.

And my Colt Series 70 Government Model, my wife gave to me 26 years ago as a wedding present.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice, Scott.
Old Law Dawg
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

RIA Compact
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

OJ wrote:Colt's Government Model 45 ACP Series 70 pistols -

Made in 1970 -

Made in 2002 or 2003 - low serial number -

AMT Longslide - 1987 -

I also LOVE the Gunsite safeties!!

Have one on my Norinco, want another one!!

Regrettably Brownells won´t sell me another one, as the Manufacturer doesn´t have a "clearance" to export!

Hermann
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Salvo, nice work!!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:Salvo, nice work!!!!
+1 8)

I use Don Hume holsters on all my carry pieces. They are very comfortable, really hold the guns well, and are very reasonably priced! :D
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks gentleman :D
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Here's mine. Top one is my old IPSC and IDPA gun, Colt series 70, with quite a few mods, and has been used a lot, as you can tell by the finish on the frame. I have won a lot of trophys with this gun over the years, I even shot NRA Hunter pistol silouette with it, and could usually hold my own, even at the hundred yard line on the rams.

Second gun down is my Wilson Combat 1911, I used to shoot IDPA Combat competition with this gun, but did not get it until I was getting close to the end of my competition days. It's a fine shooter, and very smooth operating.

Third down is my Springfield milspec lightweight commander. I carry it concealed a lot, and I like it for it's lighter weight, and low profile, no snag sights.

Bottom gun is a Kimber Custom Compact, which is a good shooting gun, but most of the time, I prefer the Springfield for carry, as it's still lighter, and I like the full size grip better.

As you can see on my guns, all of them have short triggers and arched mainsprings. I finally figured out a long time ago, that arched mainsprings and short triggers point better for me, so I like to keep all of my guns set up the same way, I practice both sighted shooting and point shooting, and I never was much good point shooting with a flat mainspring and long trigger.
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Here's the plainest odinariest one of the bunch. I melted the sharp edges of the grip safety, it's glass smooth on the hand now. I added the super-duper grip-control-modification. 100 grit.
0420101001-02.jpg
Need to polish the trigger bow to glass smooth. Luck of the draw I got a nasty trigger. Love the gun though and don't envy any of the mods. I may get the stainless springfield version, just because I prefer stainless handguns.

Grizz
flusher
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flusher »

Here's one from 1951

DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

My Springfield "Loaded" model. Only thing not stock are the grips.

Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Here are the two I have with me today. A Colt 1991 Compact and a Caspian Commander.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

I got a norinco :D

When I bought it:

Then I got bored and took a dremel to it and added some new parts:

And here's what it looks like now, I did all the work except the milling of the slide.

Shoots like a dream, I think I am gonna have it electroless nickel coated.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

My 1911s, that I have here. I have a stainless Delta Elite and a Springfield all adjusted a bit for me by me except for the sights that Novak put on.
It is not the critic who counts
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

1951 Super 38
Micro Rear sights, under-cut front sight, original barrel turned, slide and frame smoothed and fitted, trigger tuned... roughly 50 years ago.

Spamtown_.45
Levergunner

Post by Spamtown_.45 »

Here is my Commercial Colt Government 1911.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Seeing as this year marks the 100th of the 1911 and since it's such an awesome thread, thought it should be brought up from the depths.

Would have started a new one, but knew this one was still around.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What can't be seen is almost 30 years of being worn in that holster... usually under a nice hawaiian shirt next to me... finish is mostly gone and the rubber on the inside is mostly smooth (you can see how smooth even the right side is where it only rubs on the inside of whatever outer garment I'm wearing... But, still as accurate as ever. 80's CC with BarSto barrel and buffered spring and whatever that part is sits on is called! (CRS) tonite!

:twisted: You guys with your "NEW" guns slay me! :P Use them puppies... make 'em look like they're proud to be handled! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff, my used one, a Colt GM that I carried on duty for a number of years was given to my SIL because he didn't have a piece and he should of. My Les Baer is hard chromed so it takes a beating and hardly shows it. It does if you look close, but generally it's held up to a number of years of daily carry both off and on duty.

Love everyone's choices.
Old Law Dawg
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

Sorry I dont have any photos as I am digital camera challanged. I have two 1911's. One is a stainless steel AMT Hardballer that I have had since 1985. The other is a 1918 manufactured Colt that was issued to my great uncle who carried it in France during WWI. I don't remember ever seeing my dad shoot it and it has been mine since 1985. I took it out to the range this past Veterins Day (used to be called Armistice Day) and shot it. I put four magazines through it. I was very pleased that at 15 yards I was able to keep 25 of 28 shots inside a 6" bullseye.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

My little brace of 1911's.

A Springfield Government Model
A Kimber Eclipse Ultra Carry II
... and a 1911 'style' Colt Mustang II

Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.