Henry Rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Henry Rifles

Post by GonnePhishin »

Howdy Gentlemen,

Can any of you elaborate on Henry rifles and how they compare to Winchester and Marlins? I know they were the forerunner of the Winchester 1866 models, and were used by the Union troops during the Civil War but other than that I am uneducated on them.
Are their actions as strong as the 1892 or 1894, etc.

Thanks
UncleBuck
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Re: Henry Rifles

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Not close (on the action strength). The 1860 Henry used a toggle-link system, which was not known for its strength. The 1892 is basically Browning's 1886 action design scaled-down for revolver cartridges. Talk about over-engineering!

The 1860 was the first practically lever-action as we know them today. The modern reproductions are very fun to shoot. I have an Uberti in .45 Colt, and it is accurate and fun, but heavy.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

YK,

So the basic design of the toggle system is probably pretty much the same as it was back in the 1860's, only using modern metallurigical steels?

I noted on the Henry website that they load from the magazine tube, just like modern 22's do.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Two different kinds of "Henry's". The 1860 "Henry" was a .44 caliber rimfire that did load from the end of the magazine tube, near the muzzle, that was twisted away to allow cartridges to be dropped in. Yes, the toggle-link system is essentially the same used in the 1866, 1873, and 1876 Winchester models.

The modern "Henry" rifles in either rimfire or centerfire forego the traditionally loading gate in favor of a cut-out in the magazine where cartridges can be loaded once the magazine loading tube is pulled up and out of the way. Same system used in a Marlin lever-action .22 and others. These are very different mechanically than the original 1860 "Henry" models though.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Thanks YK for the info. :)

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

UncleBuck,

Here is some information on the current crop of Henry rimfire leverguns:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=200406

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=312881

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... t=310671#2

...10,000-plus rounds later, and I still love my H001L. :D :!:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Once again the use of the name "Henry" has obsfucated their roots, their sole intent being to mislead and capitalize on a history and heritage they have no connection to. Shoddy business practice and the equivalent of moral fecal matter.

Irrespective of their touting of "American" materials and "American" labor on "American" soil, their shanghaiing of the name "Henry"leads me to question ALL of their advertising hype. I'd probably own one if they'd have called themselves who they are; Iver Johnson & Co.

<Rant off> The above being my opinion.

As to their .22, nifty little guns. See Haglers comments. As to their "Big Boy"... They few I've seen were @ CAS matches. Where they do not fare well. The action is "clunky", far from smooth, which is a necessity in a speed game. I don think the action is as strong as the Winchester 1892 design, in spite of its visual & physical size. How it compares to the Marlin I'll leave for those more familiar w/the Marlin.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

As mentioned, the modern Henry rifles bear no relationship but the name to the Henrys of yore. As to "Shanghai-ing" the name, well, they bought the rights to the name and that is common in today's business world ("Winchester" is a good example), and it's merely marketing. Like it or not, that's the way it is, and there are beaucoup examples.

As to the rifles themselves, they seem to be pretty solid performers, and I like the rimfires pretty well, but I don't care a whole lot for the centerfires. The styling doesn't float my boat, and they are HEAVY compared to other levergun designs, even the Marlin 336, which some decry as a boat anchor because it is heavier than the Winchester 94.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The "new" Henry rifles, in .22 rimfire calibers, seem to be very decent rifles, though a bit overpriced (IMNSHO...) They hold up well and are reasonably accurate, while certainly not 'match-quality' shooters.

As for the new Henry "Big Boy," it features a knock-off of the Marlin lockup, in a phugly, overly heavy receiver, all gussied up in bright gold coloration -- to appeal to those "riflemen" who are woefully ignorant of the REAL Henry rifle.
The Company advertized the Big Boy as being SASS-Legal, long before it really became so, causing no end of confusion among many CAS shooters. BUT -- pump enough money down the pipeline, and you could probably get just about anything sanctioned by SASS, if you were determined to do so... Which is pretty much what the honchos at Henry did...

I may wind up with a Henry .22 RF someday, but it will be 90 below in Phoenix, before I stoop to owning a Big Boy.

Sorry if I've left anyone wondering about my thoughts or feelings on the matter... :o :roll:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buck Elliott wrote:Sorry if I've left anyone wondering about my thoughts or feelings on the matter... :o :roll:
'Bout the same as I did! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We have NEVER sold a "big boy" in the boss man's shop. Nobody even asks about them. Many of the .22 LR rifles go out the door.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Thanks for the additional replies and links,fellas.

While never owning one, I've read that Iver Johnson used to make some decent firearms, in years gone past. Needless to say after your comments and what I've read about them, I don't think I would buy a Henry at this point in time.

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Although I'd get roasted on some forums for saying this, but I'm not a big fan of the Henry 22's or the big bores. The few I've handled and/or owned never seemed to be top quality.
cwo4uscgret
Levergunner

Post by cwo4uscgret »

I traded into a Henry Big Boy .44 magnum - because it was there, I thought it looked good, and it's a nice companion to my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. If I have any problems with it when I do get to shoot it (laid up from a total knee replacement surgery 3 weeks ago; had the other one replaced 3 months ago) I'll post a range report.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Y2K has a H100L, and it is a fine little .22 lever-action! :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one of the .22lr rifles and it is slick and smooth. It is accurate enough to kill sparrows and starlings with the Aguilla Super Colibri ammunition at about 20 yards. I have way too many sparrows and starlings in the back yard, or I did anyway. They seem to be avoiding the area now. I have never shot another lever action .22, so I have nothing to compare it to as far as accuracy except the Crickett single shot bolt action that is my son's which is loaned out to someone who is using it rather than leaving it in a closet to be forgotten. The Crickett is more accurate by a little bit. My son is happy with his 10/22 and won't use anything else.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

JB wrote:Although I'd get roasted on some forums for saying this, but I'm not a big fan of the Henry 22's or the big bores. The few I've handled and/or owned never seemed to be top quality.

The .22's shoot a lot better than they look :)
----- Doug
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I don't have one, but am thinking of getting one of their .22's, in a single-shot bolt. That one and their lever .22's are about the lightest guns I've heard of.

I once held the Golden Boy in a store and it felt great. Never shot one.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Henry makes a 4.5 lb. 22LR that measures no more than 33" and hits what you point it at. Add to this a slick action and decent walnut and you've got a dandy little carbine. I just ordered my third Henry 22LR in my quest to litter the closets of my grandkids with them. Nope, they ain't an 80's era Winchester XLR, but they are still a fine rimfire levergun.

Oh, and I have no problem with their other firearms. They have some of the slickest actions in the business, but life is too short to pay that much money for a gawdy overweight hiking companion.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Seems like this one went off into left field quick. I think the OP was talking about real Henry's that turned into Winchesters later. Those are much weaker than later Win & Marlin design's with a breech block. Kinda like a brass 1873 without a loading gate & forend.

The modern Henrys are kind of amusing. Their 22's are nice for what they are, cheap reliable, acurate made in America guns, I bought my kid a youth model a couple years ago & have no complaints. Its smooth, locks up positively & works flawlessly. Wish they used metal barrel bands but it doesn't bother the boy.

Their centerfires are what I consider amusing. They claim to be a direct descendant of the original Henry rifle company (Not sure if there ever really was one of those & if there was I'd imagine Winchester owned or funded it) yet the centerfire they make is as Buck said almost an exact copy of the Marlin action mechanically. I dislike misleading marketing a whole lot & it took me awhile to bite the bullet & get my boy a Henry. I'm glad I did & totally satisfied with it but think they would do just as well if they stopped lying.
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Several years back I had need to talk with the two brothers that own today's Henry rifle company. They informed me that the present Henry rifles is not nor ever been a part of the first Henry rifles . But their last name isn't Henry either. Can't say it or spell it.
They are real gentlemen though, Good conversation.
KSRtrd

Post by KSRtrd »

If it wasn't for that Marlin 39, for just a 100$, why I would have jumped on the Henry wagon. Just love the feel of good old American steel.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Yes. the "original" Henry rifles were the forerunners of the later "true" Winchester leverguns. they make use of the same, basic toggle-link lock-up used in the Winchester Models '66 (the "Improved Henry..."); '73 and '76. It is NOT a strong action, in any of its applications, but certainly adequate for the cartridges used in the respective rifles. Most of the model 1860 Henry rifles were made with bronze ("Gunmetal") receivers, which are not as hard or strong as the so-called "Iron Frame" Henrys, or the model '73 and '76, with their ferrous frames. The Model '66 was still basically a Henry, with the addition of the King's Patent loading gate, and a seperate magazine tube. The "Improved" '66 was chambered for the rimfire Henry .44 'flat' cartridge, just like its predecessor. ( A small number of late '66s were made in .44 Henry Center Fire, for export...)

Some minor imrovements were made to the toggle mechanism used in the '73 and later '76 rifles, making the lock-up more positive and fool-proof...

So, to answer what now seems to be the original question...: No, the Henry is/was not NEARLY as strong as the Marlin rifles, or the later, Browning-designed Winchesters, i.e.: the '86, '92, '94, '95, &c., and somewhat weaker than the '73 and '76, due to improved design and metallurgy in the latter.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Thanks Buck for your remarks on the subject, that Henrys' are not as strong an action as Winnys & Marlins.

UncleBuck