OT- It be here..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- It be here..

Post by Andrew »

Well after a long week of waiting, the mail-man brought me my Old Army today. :D I just love it. I haven't got to shoot it for lack of powder/lube, but it just looks sooo goood! :D

Not much blue gone but on the cylinder, the ramrod, and a spot inside the frame.

The only thing I don't care for is the one thing I knew was gonna be a problem, the grip. Kinda stubby for my paw.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Homeliest thing I ever saw.

Send it to me immediately so that it can be properly disposed of.

:? :wink: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D :D Looks like fun to me! :D :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Andrew,

I've never owned or shot a Ruger Old Army, and it looks like I'll never get too. The arses just discontinued the entire line.

I do love guns that have been used. They have character. I'd get that cylinder reblued though, that drag line would drive me loony.

Here is a suggestion on gripping the gun. In your pic you are gripping it way to low. Try it like this:
I used to grip it lower with my pinkie finger under the grip. But I've found that gripping it higher like in my picture is more stable and secure.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Joe,

Secure? Yes.
Stable? Yes.
Comfy? No. :?
ImageImage
The Boring Blog
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Actually, single-action revolvers should be gripped with the little finger under the grip. That's the finger that helps throw the gun barrel back down & forward, out of recoil after the shot - at the same time that the thumb of that hand should be cocking the hammer for the next shot.

You can even get a .45 Colt centerfire conversion cylinder for it, with about as much trouble as getting a new pair of sneakers.

BTW - Did you know that Ruger has just discontinued all Old Army production ? :P :P
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Pete44ru wrote:BTW - Did you know that Ruger has just discontinued all Old Army production ? :P :P

Yeah, that's why I jumped on it.

.45 Colt? Really? Interesting.... 8)
ImageImage
The Boring Blog
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well geeze, I guess I don't know diddly squat about single actions. I must be totally stupid and brainless. I'VE ONLY BEEN SHOOTING THE darn THINGS FOR 34 YEARS AND I HAVEN'T LEARNED A THING.

SORRY FOR STICKING MY IGNORANT NOSE IN THIS THREAD.

J :x e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Joe do you have a pic showing the web of your hand in relation to the hamer sprur? I am always up to try new things. Just want to see how you keep your web from catching the spur.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8) Congrats Andrew!!! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe, don't go getting yer pantaloons in a wad. I use both grip styles. If shooting one-handed I use the grip that you show. If using the "squaw" two-handed grip I use the style that Andrew shows in his post. This leaves more room for the off-hand to wrap around the strong hand and operate the hammer. That's on a Colt SAA, which has a slightly smaller grip than the Ruger OA.

Andrew, have a gunsmith look over yer ROA, that line around the cylinder usually means its timing is off.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

When I try to shoot my Blackhawk with 3 fingers on the grip, my middle finger gets smacked by the trigger guard. I read somewhere that "pinky under" is correct for these SA grip frames, and I'm much more comfortable that way. It even feels right and very secure, after a couple hundred rounds.
No offense, Joe. :P
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Actually, Joe, the method you've shown is better for single shot accuracy - as in target shooting. I learned both ways in 63', myself.

It's us shoot-self-in-the-foot, quick-draw, speed-shooters that find the other way handy. :wink:
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

Griff

Does "any" line on the cylinder mean that the timing is off or just a line that is as heavy as the one i the picture indicate that the timeing is off? Trying to learn something new every day.
spurgon
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

spurgon wrote:Griff

Does "any" line on the cylinder mean that the timing is off or just a line that is as heavy as the one i the picture indicate that the timeing is off? Trying to learn something new every day.
spurgon
That's normal wear over time for any revolver that's been manually cocked.

If it really drives you nuts, get a Birchwood-Casey bluing pen and touch it up. Then, be prepared to repeat every week thereafter. :?

scott
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'll remove this from this thread a start a new one so's to not hijack the original subject. See What You Should Expect.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!