Barreling a Savage 99?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Barreling a Savage 99?

Post by Naphtali »

I have a Savage 99F action (only) that was originally 308 Winchester. To barrel the action with a stainless steel 308 barrel, what am I getting into - in terms of difficulty for the gunsmith, in terms of dollar cost, and anything else that comes to mind? Whom would you recommend to do the job - unless barreling is so straightforward that any competent gunsmith can do the job correctly.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Barreling a Savage 99?

Post by edsguns »

Rebarreling again to .308 should be fairly easy and straightforward. But to miss an opportunity like that to have a M99 in .358....... :cry: :cry:
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

edsguns wrote:Rebarreling again to .308 should be fairly easy and straightforward. But to miss an opportunity like that to have a M99 in .358....... :cry: :cry:
When I lived in the midwest, I owned a tang safety 99 358 Winchester. I disposed of it - didn't care for it. In retrospect, what I didn't care for was the tang safety and monte carlo stock.
Here is the action, plus my collection of "spare parts."

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i thought about rebarreling my 99a from .308 to the new .338 federal. then i thought would a elk know the difference between the 2 at 300 yards? :?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It would make a REALLY nice .338 Federal.

ImageImage

H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

if you decide to keep it 308 .. I have a complete 99F barrel with sights and good riflling
you can have.

I had mine re-barreled in 7mm-08 by Mazy's in Arizona, they have done two 99's
for me, the 99F in 7mm-08 and a 99E from 308 to 358win ...

I would trust them again if I need another one done.

this is the 358,

and it shoots minute-of-bullet hole,

on the three on the left I called and pulled the flyer :-)

let me know on the barrel, but you have a great opportunity for a custom 99 of you own :-)

Talon
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

6.5x55-would that be possible?I know what am I thinking...............
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I know there are two different stock bolt lengths... I learned this from ads for replacement stocks... I like the lever safetys better than the tangers too...I like the SS barrel idea..20" med profile would rock for me rather than FW profile.. Good luck...
PS.. I'm looking for a straight lever cut for lever saftey...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have some parts in Az. for these things.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

model55 wrote:6.5x55-would that be possible?I know what am I thinking...............
Pepe Ray did the .260 Rem.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson