Bought bullet, bought powder, have brass...now primers!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Bought bullet, bought powder, have brass...now primers!

Post by pharmseller »

I have everything I need to roll my own (.30-06, 180 gr Nosler Partitions, H4350) but I have a question about primers.
I have CCI large rifle primers and Winchester large rifle primers. About 1k each. Is there much of a difference between primers? Do you experienced folk prefer one brand over another?

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bought bullet, bought powder, have brass...now primers!

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The only way to know is to try them all.
Find the load your rifle likes best using the same primer throughout the load development.
And then shoot that load with all the different primers you can get. One will be the best if only by a tad.
I like Federal match primers for target shooting with the .308 Win. ,6mmBR and others but CCI BR primers shine in my .22-250. Go figure!! :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Your gun may have a preference.

I have used CCI almost 100% exclusively since 1970 without problems. Just worked up every load with the same primers.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

My own primer preference is for Winchester, and unless a load specifically calls for it, nearly all of my handloading is done with standard primers for the calibers that I load. I only use magnum primers in some .357 applications, with certain powders, when a published manual calls for them. If I can't get Winchester primers, my second choice is CCI. Nothing wrong with Federal, but I use a Lee autoprime, and the Lee manual warns against using that brand in their priming tool. My last choice (if I absolutely am out and can't get anything else) would be Remington. I've witnessed too many misfires at the range with people using that particular brand. That having been said, though, Remington percussion caps have always worked well for me for black powder applications.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Yep, what Chuck said.
Old Law Dawg