Please educate me on tang sights?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Please educate me on tang sights?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I am looking to ad a tang sight (TS) to my older 444 Marlin. It already has a receiver sight and I'm skilled in the use of peeps.

I'm doing this because I've always wanted a tang just to try it and I'm planning to ad one to a Ruger No.1 that is on order, a 1A 303 British. Adding it would be a large undertaking so I figured why not put one on my Marlin and test it out.

I love my Marlin 444. The sight should look good, be steel, adjustable for both windage and elevation and tough. Any suggestions, I would not mind an expensive custom tang sight if it was better than the Marbles style?

How do you guys like these sights?

I'm a lefty and use a thum crossover hold. Will the base slam my hand?

I'm thinking a Marble/Lyman style but what about the verniers?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Please educate me on tang sights?

Post by Terry Murbach »

WELL NOW, YOUR EDJUMACATION IS GONNA INCLUDE MY TAKE ON TANG SIGHTS. TO BE BRIEF, THEY ARE MOSTLY A PAIN-IN-THE-HAND, A PAIN-IN-THE-BUTT, AND MOST DANGEROUS OF ALL A PAIN-IN-THE-EYE IF YOU ARE NOT ULTRA CAREFUL. THIS LATTER POINT MUST NOT BE OVERLOOKED. THIS IS WHY THE SALE OF TANG SIGHTS QUIT OVERNIGHT MANY MOONS AGO AFTER THE RECEIVER SIGHTS WERE INVENTED AND INTRODUCED.
I PERSONALLY HAVE TANG SIGHTS ON A B'92 357MAG AND A WIN '94 26" 30-30 RIFLE. I WILL NOT- NO- WAY- NEVER- EVER PUT THEM OF A RIFLE OR CARBINE THAT KICKS ANY HARDER THAN THESE TWO. THIS IS PERHAPS EXACERBATED BY MY BEING A STOCK CRAWLER EXTRAORDINAIRE FROM WAY BACK BUT I STILL HAVE HAD TINY SCRATCH MARKS ON THE RIGHT LENSE OF MY GLASSES FROM THAT 30-30 RIFLE EVERY NOW AND AGAIN AND THAT IS FRICKIN' CLOSE ENOUGH TO SCARE THE STEW OUUTA MY ONE AND ONLY ISSUE RIGHT EYEBALL.
AND SO IT GOES...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Wow, the 444 kicks a tad more than the fine 30WCF!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have Marbles tang sights on a Marlin 336a in .30-30, Marlin 336a in .32 Special, Winchester 1886 in .33WCF, Marlin 1894CL in .32-20 and Marlin 39a .22LR. Each of these guns gets fired hundreds of times a year at Metallic Silhouette, the .22LR several thousand rounds a year. I also know many other silhouette shooters that use them, including a couple of .45-70 shooters. I have never heard of anyone getting popped in the eye, until I read this thread I never even considered the possiblility.

As far as I am concerned the Marbles is a quality item with nice crisp click adjustments and very little if any backlash. I would not hesitate to buy another one if I needed it.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I don't know how problematic it may be but you will have to contend with the tang safety on the Ruger. NECG make an aperture sight for the No.1 and I think Williams may also offer one.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/index.html?Peep sight.htm~maindeal

Please give us a report on the .303 Ruger once you get her. I think these will be popular, especially in the Commonwealth countries.

Edit: Just found this reworked No.1 in 45-70 that's wearing a vernier sight without interference to the safety.
More pics here.
http://www.hallowellco.com/madole%20henry.htm
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

love the Marble's tang sight on my 1873
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I am brainstorming currently how I might install a mount that would allow the use of the tang safety and rear ejection. I have this idea of a Canadian Stalking Rifle.

I put my peep arm back in the Marlin's Williams sight just now. I've done some research and the aperature is within 1/2" of the position it would be on the Ruger with a reciever sight. I'm guessing with the tang closer to the eye it will be better for my eyesight, opinions?

I've been away from the shooting arts for quite awhile. I forgot how well my Marlin handles and carries without its 2.5X scope. Once my firearm permit is sorted out that rifle is getting a workout. Its too bad that so many folks have been brainwashed by the gun salesman, excuse me I meant to say writers, into using some awful handling monstrosities as sporting and working rifles. I still maintain my peep sighted 444 is the best hunting rifle in the world excluding the giant beasts of Africa. As well the lever rifle is the best design for a rifle carried anywhere with deadly intent, except the modern battlefield.

The 303 Ruger is a sweetheart too. I just can't bring myself to scope it. I'll send pictures whenever it is delivered and rigged.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

On the #1 your empty case is going to slam into that sight base every time you eject a round unless the ejector is turned off and you extract only.
I have several Marbles tang sights on several rifles. They are a quality sight IMHO.
That said, Terry is right on with his observations. And I don`t use them on heavy recoiling rifles or rifles I use for hunting. Those rifles wear receiver sights. :D
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I love tang sights, BUT on big bores they can be a little dangerous. I busted the bridge of my nose open, with one on my old 45-70. :shock:

They are an accuracy enhancer, on rimfires though. I like to get my eye as close as possible to the disc.

This one lets you get your eyeball right on it.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

I shoot the gong matches with a 45-90 Highwall with a tang sight and have no problems with it.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I have a plain-jane Pedersoli ladder sight on 2 rifles and love them. My groups were cut in half or better after I installed them. Oh BTW, they're both .45-70 and one's even a lever. I usually let my shoulder catch the recoil, not my face.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Never saw a tang that came up behind the thumb before. That has some possibilities. I have one of the new Stevens Favorites for the kids. That might work well for the little 22.

I've been doing some searching and there are many happy tang sight users but there is a theme on other forums as well regarding eye safety. Heavy recoiling hunting gun shooters often recommend receiver sights. Target shooters seem to really prefer the tang and vernier tang sights. Decisions decisions or is it daydreams,
either way a lot better than tv.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I can see where a light weight big bore rifle wearing a tang sight might just smack you in the face. Just ask the guys who belong to the half moon (scope) club. It happens.
Old Law Dawg
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I will note that a cheap tang sight with less than positive detents will wobble back and forth and will cause you to string your shots. I prefer to check my sight every shot to make sure of it's position.

Now according to the Ideal Catalog of 1893 you are NOT suppose to fire your rifle with the sight folded down. They tell you to take out the leaf sight and replace it with a sight blank filler and use ONLY the Tang sight when raised to shooting position. If yo follow the instructions you don't get holed, BUT in brush the tang sight needs close observation to make sure it is up and in proper position. Good for shootng buffalo from a stand or target shooting but not so good for still hunting. They look nice and have a nostalgia factor but a receiver sight is better for serious hunting use.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I like 'em and have them on my rifles. One advantage over receiver sights is you can use a smaller aperture.

I just finished some full power loads with a 336, and did get smacked a little the first time. The thing is, I'm wearing safety glasses so who cares? But if you just back off a fraction of an inch you're clear.

I carried one extended all last hunting season and did not find it inconvenient. I like them for the accuracy - at longer ranges I do better with them than scopes or receiver sights. I admit they are better for high contrast targets like bullseyes and silhouette shapes. In dim light a brown-on-brown target tends to disappear.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."