Possible origins of the 45-70?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Don McDowell

Possible origins of the 45-70?

Post by Don McDowell »

We've always been more or less lead to believe that the 45-70 sprang from the minds at Springfield armory. But did it really?
I 1865 during new issue rifle trials the Peabody rifle was entered into the tests and supposedly came out on top, but with the cessation of hostilities, the Army decided they didn't need a better rifle.
Here's the cartridges the Peabody was chambered in.Particular note to the bottom cartridge. :o
Hobie

Re: Possible origins of the 45-70?

Post by Hobie »

Don,

Thanks for taking the time to post that over here.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I see they got the 45-60 there too, although the bullet weight is way high. Those cartridges look to be rimfire, so I suppose the bottom one would be called the 45/70 rimfire. Very interesting drawing, Don. I like stuff like that. Thanks for posting it.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You're welcome guys, and thanks. It's fun to find this stuff and share it.
I like books, and old books are especially useful.
Found this in an old book I picked up at Prairie Creek books down in Torrington. It's a paper back book that contains reprints of 10 old gun catalogs.
I also spend maybe a little more than I should ordering reprints of old books and catalogs from Cornell publishing. :oops:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Great image, thanks. So, what is the geneology then? I thought the Spencer fit in the family tree somehow too, did it? It would be fun to chart it like a family tree, eh?

Grizz
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I don't know what the exact family tree would be on it , but I'm betting it don't have many branches. :mrgreen:
The spencers were largely bottlenecked cases so I'm thinking probably not to much influence on the final 45-70.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Don,
Very interesting! Thank you for sharing.

Thankfully, I have a book entitled .45-70 Cartridge Variations written by Bill Dibbern, who was a cartridge dealer. During his lifetime, he had collected 3,500 different .45-70 cartridges and wrote a book about them. Sadly he passed several years ago.

"I also spend maybe a little more than I should ordering reprints of old books and catalogs from Cornell publishing."
Me too.....

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Nothing much new under the Sun...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Ain't that the truth tho.
If a feller stops and thinks about it for a minute, between about 1860 and 1910 or so there's really been nothing new come about as far as cartridges go. So in a span of about 50 years we went from muzzleloaders, to rimless smokeless highvelocity repeaters, all that there really is in cartridge and firearms was done in that short period and everything since is nothing more than a do over....
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

They do look to be rimfire but the old center fire balloon headcases would look real similar sectioned like that. Never found a 45/70 balloon head case but have a bunch of old 38S&W loaded ammo with them.
The primer pockets instead of being bored into the solid head or web of the case actually project into it, they look to be formed and the brass down there very thin by modern standards. Interesting stuff.