Browning 1886 trigger job

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Browning 1886 trigger job

Post by hammerman »

I have a browning 1886 src with an 8 pound tigger. I also have a rossi 92 src that I followed Jim Taylor's article on fixing it up. In that article, he uses a shim under the trigger spring to lighten up the pull. I did this on my 92 and it now has a 3 lb pull. 8)

I was wondering if this same procedure can be used on the 86 to lighten the pull. There is no creep in the trigger, it is just really heavy. I wanted to get some ideas before I pull it apart.

If not what have others done to fix their triggers.

Thanks.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Browning 1886 trigger job

Post by Paul Jenkins »

I have a 92 Winc. & an '86 Browning that a local Smith adjusted to 3# & 2 1/2# . no creep in either one. I believe he shortened the hammer spring AND honed the triggers. I believe he said he would charge $100 each. I made him a toggle for a Volcanic pistol. Even trade. His name is ;
Bruce Platt 302-994-3578. In Wilmington ,De. He's a bit of a hermit and slow, Nice fellow to talk to and reasonable as he is honest. I once took a S&W 60 to him that was frozen up. The hammer was rusted to the frame. He broke it loose and handed it back, no charge. My stupidity, his honesty. Of course I did tip him well.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Re: Browning 1886 trigger job

Post by salvo »

I polished the sear, adjusted & polished the sear notch on the hammer and cut 1.5 coils from the hammer spring. Went from 6+ pounds to 3.5 pounds. Here is a thread that will help.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 86#p318610
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan