brass temper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

brass temper

Post by gimdandy »

Does anyone specifically know the difference in the temper of factory brass between the base(lower half) and shoulder, neck?
Never , ever ,anneal the bottom half because of pressure, but I would like to know the numbers if anyone has this knowledge.
bdhold

Re: brass temper

Post by bdhold »

here's a nice data sheet - doesn't answer your specific question (still looking) but good data on cartridge brass, tempers, hardness and strength.
http://www.olinbrass.com/companies/fine ... 0Sheet.pdf

seems to be proprietary information for the manufacturers.
in google books all I could find is that low velocity cases will have a "standard hardness" over their entire length, while in high power cartridges, hardness usually decreases from the base to the neck. controlling the thickness, etc... but nothing specific on the tempers or hardness.

I found one reference in the CRC to 114 BHN, which converts to 73 Rockwell B, which is "Hard" temper and a probable as-drawn hardness for the shell base.
I did find an ASTM standard for the brass cup blanks they start with before cold drawing a shell casing - the cup blanks are fully annealed.