OT: the garden...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT: the garden...

Post by O.S.O.K. »

We decided to plant a little "test" garden this year. Basically, to see if we could do it. We had gardens out in the country near the litte town we now live in but the grasshoppers ate everything down the stalk two years in a row. We did get some tomatoes but it was hardley worth the effort.

In town, its different, very little predation... :)

Not too bad. We've already got bush beans, zuc squash and cherry tomatoes from it.

From front/left to back: jalepenos, sweet yellow peppers, bush beans, cherry tomatoes, zuch squash, big tomatoes, one loney okra plant and a couple of cucumber plants.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: the garden...

Post by TedH »

I've been thinking about putting in a little patch like that, mostly for some tomatoes. Maybe next year.
NRA Life Member
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yep, they are very productive plants. If you're only going to grow one thing, they are a great choice IMHO.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

Dang, it's like your on a whole nother planet down there. I just got our veg in the ground.

I have used mutant zukes and squash as targets in the past, the ones that hide under the big leaves until they are too big to eat. So I take them down to the target berm, let em have it. Then I get volunteer targets growing out my target berm the next year.
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phc45-70 »

Put a little Seven dust on 'em to keep the bugs off.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

phc45-70 wrote:Put a little Seven dust on 'em to keep the bugs off.
Even better - just keep chickens under your fruit trees, and (in portable coops) around garden edges. That way you have eggs and an occasional chicken breast to put in your salads... :wink:

I always figured that if I wanted produce with pesticides in it, I'd just get that kind at the store...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

There is a fellow about 50 miles from me that has developed what he calls "The Earthbox" that is made to allow plants to take in the maximum amount of nutrients. I have two of them I use for tomatoes. Right now they are making Cherry 100 tomatoes since that's all we can raise here in our summer heat. I can't even stake the vines, I have to let them run free because they get so heavy. Y'all might want to give 'em a look see at www.earthbox.com
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice plot 8) !Granny would mix flour and fine black pepper.She would dust the plants in the morning.At noon she would spray the garden with water.If the pepper didn't repel the bugs the ingested flour(with water) would swell and burst the bellies of them buggs. :wink: Great "organic"pesticide for tomato worm ,potato bug and cabbage worm etc.A border of Marigolds acts as a repellant also.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I planted my first garden this year. I planted a little late for my greens, so I didn't get any lettuce, cabbage, or spinach. My herbs are doing good, but about all I'm gonna end up with is tomatoes, okra, and peppers. I should have a good crop if they keep doing well. I have 9 jalepeno plants, 2 bell peppers, 2 banana peppers, 10 of various tomatoes, and 28 okra.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Diatomaceous earth can be used on the ground and mixed with water and sprayed on the plant also rotenon/pyrethrum spray can be used up to one day before you harvest both are organic and are used by certified organic farmers and USDA approved. There are a bunch of approved products that carry a organic label. danny
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

pyrethrum=marigolds That's the chemical in them from what I understand.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I cant remember if its chrysanthemum or marigold I think the former. danny
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, we've used a little Sevin dust already - earlier on there were some worms but that got em.

Here's a picture of my lone okra plant. I planted this just for grins - and to see how it would do. I'm the only one in the family that likes okra...

I don't know how many pods it will provide but it looks like I'll get a couple two or three servings at least. :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

This year, I expanded the size and variety of the garden. I put in four types of peppers, egg plant, 4 cantelope plants, water mellon x2, pumpkin, potatoes, red onions, 4 types of tomatos, red cabbage, green cabbage, romain lettuce, butter lettuce, mixed lettuce, peanuts, broccoli, and various herbs like basil, celantra, rosemary, tyme, etc. We have later seasons here in penn's woods but its coming along nicely. I had one broccoli plant go to flower early, but I cut it back and ate it anyway.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot