OT--Cartridge Conversion on 1860

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

OT--Cartridge Conversion on 1860

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

I've just been reading O.S.O.K.'s postings about his new 1860 Sheriff's model 44. I bought one of these a couple of years back....lots of fun. I ran into a conversion cylinder to shoot 45 cal cartridges in the 1860, and have been half way tempted to buy one, but as I looked at them, I thought that one in 45 ACP would be really nice. I load my 45 ACP with a 200 grain SWC at about 850 fps. Seems it would be just about ideal in the 1860's.

Has anyone seen a conversion cylinder in 45 ACP???
Last edited by Lobo on Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Cartridge Conversion on 1860

Post by J Miller »

Lobo wrote:Hi All,

I've just been reading O.S.O.K.'s postings about his new 1860 Sheriff's model 44. I bought one of these a couple of years back....lots of fun. I ran into a conversion cylinder to shoot 45 cal cartridges in the 1860, and have been half way tempted to buy one, but as I looked at them, I thought that one in 45 ACP would be really nice. I load my 45 ACP with a 200 grain SWC at about 850 fps. Seems it would be just about ideal in the 1860's.

Has anyone seen a conversion cylinder in 45 ACP???
Lobo,
I've never heard of anybody making one in .45 ACP, however if you were to buy one in .45 Colt and use the little short Cowboy .45 Spcl cases you'd get the same results.
http://www.cowboy45special.com/index.html

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Here's a converter for 45 Schofield... http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7410.html

If you look there at Buffalo Arms, you will see 45 ACP conversions for several other models - Ruger Old Army, 1858's....etc.

If you are thinking of going all the way with the ejector, etc. - then its a lot less expensive to just get a converted revolver for $470.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4332.html
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

The 45 Colt headspaces on it's rim (rimmed case). The 45 ACP headspaces on it's neck (rimless case). This requires very careful headspace fitting and you cannot crimp the bullets or you loose the headspace fit. This is the reason 45 ACP is not chambered in most rifles. The 45ACP can be chambered in revolvers with the use of half moon clips and the case crimp is not critical. 45 Auto Rim cartridges were made years ago to allow them to headspace on their rims in revolvers without the halfmoon clips. But they had a special rim thickness in order to headspace correctly for the firing pin strike. I had a few of these cases laying around, but I think I sold them.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Re: OT--Cartridge Conversion on 1860

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

I shoot the .45 Colt, and the .45 ACP and so have all the gear to reload. I'm not really looking to gear up for another cartridge.

Also, I have a cylinder for my Ruger Blackhawk in .45 ACP where the cartridges headspace on the mouth of the case with no difficulties.

I hadn't intended to put an ejector on the pistol.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

As you know, it's no big deal to load .45 Colt to 850 fps. One the other hand, there's no reason you shouldn't get a conversion cylinder in .45 auto if you want one.

The biggest advantage of .45 Colt is, the rimmed cartridge doesn't want to fall out of the loops in your gun belt so readily as the rimless.

The biggest advantage of .45 ACP is the free brass you can pick up where gunfighter wannabes have left it scattered all over public ranges.

Either way, good shooting!

Carl
Formerly known as "Tumbleweeds"
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Walt Kirst (Kirst Konverters) has said he thinks the Cowboy .45 Special is an ideal round for use in Colt conversions. Use an ordinary .45 Colt conversion cylinder, a .45 Colt shell plate and acp dies to load the rounds. ACP data, especially the milder Bullseye shooters data) is ideal. Those who have done so report excellent results.

These guns were never meant to handle .45 colt level loads, and reduced loads in .45 Colt are less than satisfying owing to low pressures. the shorter C45S case solves that isssue.
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

a-jack,

Has there ever been a cylinder deliberately chambered for the C45 Spcl?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***