My luck ran high.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

My luck ran high.....

Post by spurgon »

I guess I should have bought a lottery ticket. Yesterday, I took the opportunity to dissassemble and clean a Marlin 93. Wife was at work so I used the kitchen for a work area. Too cold to be outside in the unheated shop. Everything went well , with the exception of a few cuts on the hand and fingers from careless handleing of the receiver bottom with the bottom plate off it. When it was time for assembly of the clean parts I struggled with getting the internals to function with the lever and somehow the extractor took flight. I didn't see a thing. I only knew this by the telltale sound that it made as it forcifully "pinged" off the wall a few feet away and ricoheted into the void. The void being multiple potted plants and appliances that held many hiding places. It is now late evening and my wife arrives home and wants her kitchen back. I'm on my hands and knees with the flash light trying not to cry. I'm sure it;s not on the floor and assume the extractor is gone for good when I enlist the help of my wife. Bold move at this point but despiration has set in. She decends to the floor with one of those "looks without love" . Well, I figure if it can be found, she will find it, though there will be an emotional price to pay. You guys know the feeling. We might be standing in front of our sock drawer complaining that someone has broken into the house and stolen our favorite pair of socks . Then , when asked where they might be, our wifes enters the room and points straight to them and as she leave the room and glances back at us with "the look without love" and we hear under her breath something to the effect of "if it would have been a snake...."
Well, in order to cover all the bases, no matter how remote the possibilities or how hopeless my outlook, I began to scan the countertop in a last ditch effort to at least eliminate this area as a possibility because there was no way it could be up there. In the middle of the parts, bottles of cleaners and lubricants, q- tips, tooth picks, news papers, paper towels, tools, etc. there sat a bar magnet that I had used earlier to find the loading gate screw. At this point the evidence of devine intervention presented itself. There,on top of the magnet , stuck fast was the extractor. What an infintesimal set of odds. The joy of finding the once lost part was overshadowerd by a feeling of wonder. My wife, understanding me as she does after years of experience, without a word went back to her other chores without a word of reproach. Imagine , wonder and forgiveness all in the course of a day. Priceless.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

The Gun Gods were smiling on you. You are truely blessed. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

And I do most of dis- & reassembly work on the coffee table in front of the TV. Wife usually sits patience and calmly answering my query of "what'd they say?" with that telltale combination of grace and disdain that only wive's possess.
Yes, a lucky men, most of us are.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The payback's gonna be terrible to behold. :shock: :wink:
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

For me, I would have had to order from at least two places to get replacements before the original one showed up.

Good score on finding that, and sounds like the missus ain't half bad, lol.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”