21 below

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dakota7
Levergunner

21 below

Post by Dakota7 »

21 below zero this morning when I was starting the tractor to put out hay. It is up to 16 below now. It is a rare day in North Dakota with no wind so it isn't bad out there. Hydrolics worked pretty slow though.
Dakota7
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Thanks for posting. Your temps make me feel better. 3º below zero here and sunny. Compared to you, I now feel like I'm at the beach. Now, where'd I put that beach towel.
ED
Yer never too old
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Dakota,

No wind? Can ya post a pic of you shooting over the tractor?
How about one of the scabard mounted on it? I would think
that a day like that would call for some shootin :)
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Well call Me Mr. happy it's 21 above here. a regular heat wave.and it's all because of global warming. :wink: Jim
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Geeze--I have never experienced temps that low. :shock: Lowest for me is -10 while elk hunting. Right now, its 35 here in SE Pa. Anything below 20 above 0 gives me the shivers. (I know, Eastern sissy)
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

Where's Ji? maybe he can post some of them purdy Hawaii pictures that we all come to love.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Wow,

I was complaining about +7 the other day. Once in a while we get well below freezing. Worst I can remember was -13 a couple years ago. Rarely lasts more than a day or two.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

And here I was, looking for a jacket this morning to load the horses for a trip to the vet, it was 36º.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The coldest I have ever experianced is -18C.
Say, what do you have to do with your diesel fuel to run in that temp?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nath,
As a fairly frequent visitor to the frozen north, I find they generally sell #1 diesel in the winter. I also run an additive in mine, plus tell my guys, "never the thing off, or you'll pay to get it restarted if the fuel gels!" :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Yesterday it was -13 and warmed all the way to 13 above, when the sun came out.
Was supposed to get into the 30's here today, but the day started at 12 and snowing and then snowing and blowing and is now 12 and clear with no wind.

8) I suppose if you and your brother get that warm you'll take the family down to the lake and go water skiing this afternoon. :lol:

Any word yet on when the logging camp shoot is?
Dakota7
Levergunner

Post by Dakota7 »

We run straight number 1 diesel, starting in November. In October you can get by with a blend. I have a tank heater on the loader tractor and have it on a timer so it comes on about two hours before I start. Some times a little shot of ether will be needed to get er going. 20 below I still get things started pretty easy but when it gets 40 below, things start getting interesting.

The coldest I have seen here is 54 below and I aint talking wind chill either.

Don, havn't heard any dates for the Logging Camp Shoot, been meanin to call Butch and Linda but haven't got it done yet.
Dakota7
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

An old rule was to put one gal of gas to eight of diesel for down to minus 10C IIRC. Perhaps Dakota7 you can do that when it is really cold or parrafin???
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

-26 F in northern WI this morning. It was a little brisk out when I was feeding the horses.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I was traveling through Gunninson, CO last year and wondered why the truck was getting so cold. Looked at the temp gauge and it was dropping as I drove through town. I believe it was -36 at about 11pm. Got out of the truck to get gas, without my coat, thinking a minute or so would be tolerable. Wrong!!
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Well, it is 44 here now and I feel cold when I go outside. 2 years in California (Near San Francisco) has made me weak! Still at least you live in a free state and not a people's republik. I will get to Korea in 3 weeks and learn to love the cold again!
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

It was 19F below when I left for work this morning.

We had a spell in the winter of 93' to 94' from the last week of December to the second week of Feb it never got above 0 deg f in the daytime, and at night more often than not, it hit -40f, averaged about -30f at night. Never forget that year. I could walk from the house to my garage (about 25') and my nose breath would frost my mustache white by the time I got to the garage door. It was the first time ever saw where water froze as quick as you poured it on the ground outside.

The upside to that was if you had the nerve to go outside at night for a couple minutes and look at the sky, you virtually could not see space between the stars. The whole sky looked like a mass of crystals.

That was dangerous cold that year. When it's that cold, any exposed skin started to ache inside of a minute or two. Hope we never have that again, I'm 15 years older now, and really don't want to put up with that again.
de k8bor

Dave
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

jbm1968 wrote:I will get to Korea in 3 weeks and learn to love the cold again!
:lol: Oh the memories...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

34 below zero Sunday morning, it has not been above 2 degrees all week. I love Montana :D :D Doug
a armed man is his own master
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Hey Guys,
But it's a dry cold, right??
Born and raised in Kalifornie. Hated it for years, but the money was here. Retired now, last Nov. 30 and looking to get OUT of here. Got myself to thinking, convinced, it's a dry cold and it won't be that bad. Going to look at Baker City, Or. and since I am close to the Idaho border I might as well....
Please tell me it's worth it all.

John
Soon to be outa here!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

K8bor , I remember that winter . It went well over a month without getting above 0. But I though it was the winter 1994-1995.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I'm in the Tropical part of Wisconsin, as opposed to BenT, went down to -13F this morning. Supposed to make it up to +9F sometime today. Heck, just might get my shorts out!

Remember back '93-'94, sub zero F temperatures for 37 days straight! And that includes the high temp for the day. Coldest I ever got stuck in, in Wisconsin, was at Black River Falls in 1979 during February were the low temp for the day was - 53F w/o wind. pee would freeze before hit'n the tire! Had to break my dog free.
Mike S.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Mike S. »

-26 on my way to work this morning. The diesel pickup ran just fine, til I left work & noticed a little puddle of transmission fluid under the truck. :(
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I feel for you guys.
Its a pleasant 91 today, and by Sunday it will be back up to 100 again.
I give thanks daily for airconditioning and cold beer :D
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

gundownunder wrote:I feel for you guys.
Its a pleasant 91 today, and by Sunday it will be back up to 100 again.
I give thanks daily for airconditioning and cold beer :D
I believe you chaps have a saying that would fit here from us chaps in the frigid parts of the world. "Pi&& off mate" just kidding :D :D :D :D
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

It has been a little nippy up here too lately. It was -15F this morning but warmed up to plus 5 or so. It is down to zero now and to go to -10 or so. Real ice cream weather. You can store it outside and not worry about it thawing.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

The weatherman lied
its 3:30 in the afternoon and 102 at the reloading bench with the fan on, and 108 degrees outside. Time for a beer and the reloading can wait :lol: :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

Ben T, I think you're right. Brrrrrrrrrrr. No more of that stuff.
de k8bor

Dave
dz86
Levergunner

Post by dz86 »

-6 here in Goshen, Indiana this morning. Wind chill was -20.
Thankfully we only get "cold snaps" like this about once or twice a month during the winter. Some of you guys get them alot more often!

Dave
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

-21 degrees

Post by dgr416 »

I only got cold in Alaska twice.The wind chill was -95 once and -125 other time.I couldnt warm up for some reason.The coldest actual temp I have ever seen is -73.My truck froze in Jan and I thawed it out about the second week of may.Its only chilly at -30 kinda cold at -45 when propane quits flowing and sucks when its -55 or colder when it tears up your car from gas and oil and transmission fluid freezing.At -35 you can throw boiling hot coffee up in the air and it turns to crystals coming down.After a winter of -50 for 2.5 months and -60 for 2 weeks I went outside in shorts and teeshirt at zero.It felt very warm.
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Re: -21 degrees

Post by gregg »

dgr416 wrote:I only got cold in Alaska twice.The wind chill was -95 once and -125 other time.I couldnt warm up for some reason.The coldest actual temp I have ever seen is -73.My truck froze in Jan and I thawed it out about the second week of may.Its only chilly at -30 kinda cold at -45 when propane quits flowing and sucks when its -55 or colder when it tears up your car from gas and oil and transmission fluid freezing.At -35 you can throw boiling hot coffee up in the air and it turns to crystals coming down.After a winter of -50 for 2.5 months and -60 for 2 weeks I went outside in shorts and teeshirt at zero.It felt very warm.
Loved to have seen that.
I know I have seen at least -40. In my life in ND and three years in Mt.
at Fort Peck Mt. At -40 Auto trans don't wnat to shift or hook up . Brakes don't want to work and its a two hand job to shift a 4 speed PU trans.
Anything with oil in it just don't want to work.
Seat feels like solid wood bench. woulds not have missed it for the world. Have frosted my lungs twice in my life. Hurts like heck and you cannot stop breathing. Once for joging less than 1/4 block home and the other time at work taking down gard rail in wind storm so to get a snow blower in.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

-5F yesterday morning. Cold, but not ridiculous. :)

We're supposed to get above freezing next week for a
coupla days here in Central Maine. I remember that winter
of 94-85 (or was it 95-96?). It didn't break 0 for two weeks or so.
I had a little Ford Ranger pickup and I had to wear a snowmobile
suit inside the truck to stay warm - and that was with the radiator
blocked off with cardboard. I remember pumping gas outside
when an Alberta Clipper came through one night. 40 knot winds
and an air temp of 20 below. I had aforementioned suit on and
might as well have been buck naked for all the good it did! 8)
moxgrove
Levergunner

Post by moxgrove »

one nice thing is that they revised the wind chill factor. Now the wind chill is 38 percent warmer than it used to be. It feels a lot better on these cold Minnesota nights to know it's not as cold as it used to be. lol. I wish they would have done it back when I used to ride a bicycle to work the graveyard shift in the ER all year round.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Ok. You guys convinced me. I had been thinking about moving from Florida to avoid the hurricanes. I've lived here all my life and until Ivan in '04 had never suffered any damage. But after reading these posts I ain't going anywhere! It's 42 and raining and I'm cold now. I'll take my chances that we won't get another direct hit for another 60 years.

See that redfish to the left. Caught that in late November wearing shorts and a T shirt. My bloods too thin for cold weather.
Last edited by 66GTO on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Doncha just love it?

Minus 38 in the swamp this am. Got in last evening from a three day trip to Prudhoe. Atigun was sort of plugged up by blowing snow and an IsoTanker that had flopped over in the blow (driver "lost the road" in the blowing snow, hit the guardrail and rolled er over)

Temps were not that bad when I headed up but it dropped to minus 38 at Coldfoot where there were about fifty trucks waiting for the pass to clear so we could get over. The flats on the coast had serious winds and zero visibility so there was no hurry on our part to get up there and wait. Much better to wait it out next to a cafe, diesel pump, and indoor plumbing 8*)

Supposed to head up again today but will wait till this evening when things are supposed to taper off a bit.

While lounging about in Coldfoot, we considered ourselves lucky that it was not like 1989 when there were two weeks of minus 70 and colder. The parking lot looked like a truck graveyard. Number 1 fuel was gelling in the tanks and a fella had to add gasoline just to keep the tractor running. Could not go anywhere since the tires would break the bead when you tried to roll foreward. Was pretty miserable.

Summers comming...Right????

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Coldfingers that sounds like a nice place to be from.

I lived in North Dakota for 10 years. Worked a number of jobs but the one that really put me in the freezer was working as a roustabout. Working on oil pumping stations with temperatures running well over
-100F with windchill. It's unreal the things you have to watch out for and do when the temps get that low. Like engines don't get shut off, gas or diesel just to name one.
Old Law Dawg