OT - One gun, one load?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

OT - One gun, one load?

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I've been having an idea in my mind for the last year or so. The idea doesn't stem from a need, more from a want. I WANT to simplify things to en extent and buy/build a "do it all" hunting rig that I can take out one day for coyote and the next for deer without having to change a thing. The idea is to buy/build a gun and develope ONE load to use for varmints/predators thru whitetail. 3 kickers............... #1 is I live in farming country and would just as soon not have lead bouncing all over the country side, #2 is I might want to go after elk or bear in the future with this gun, #3 is I want 300 yard range. #1 may be the hardest thing to over come. It's not hard to come up with a gun that kills coyotes and deer well. To do it with out bouncing lead for miles is a harder.

Random thoughts: To tell the truth if my particular 94 in .30-30 was more accurate and was a little more flat shooting I'd be happy. My current coyote gun is my .22-250 and while great for coyotes it's not legal here for deer. If I lived/hunted in a less populated area I'd buy a 7mm-08 and never look back. If it wasn't for wanting a gun for possible bear or elk I'd get a .243 and never look back.

The .243 is still high up on the list though I've had em and don't really care for em. Blow the hell outta coyotes (with light weight varmint bullets), a little light for deer and too small for bear/elk. It does have some things going for it. Namely good bullet selection. While not keeping with my "one load idea" I can buy Nosler BT's and Partitions in the same weigths, same for hornady V vs. A-max, and maybe Remington bullets. While not garenteed to have the same POI when switching bullets, using the same bullet weights should keep me close enough for government work.

.250 Savage is still high up on my list but to be honest I know so little about the .25's I can't make the call. I'm sure it has many of the same advantages/disadvantages of the .243 but is harder to find on a budget. I've seriously though about ordering an 18" - .250 barrel for my .22-250 but I still need a lot of help on a load that will fill my needs. Would it be alright for bear/elk using heavy loads?

Next step up would be a .260 or a 6.5 Swede. Like the .250 I don't know much about 6.5 bullets and again it's hard to find on a budget. From everything I can tell bullet selection is either geared 100% towards varmints OR 100% towards big game OR 100% towards target shooting. There doesn't seem to be much crossover in bullet selection and weights. Even the lighter bullets in the 100 grain range might be too well constructed for using in semi-populated farm country on a regular basis (due to ricochet factor).

To sum it up: Want a 300 yard gun using a load in a medium weight bullet (85-100gr) to use for varmints to deer. I also want it to be big enough for possible elk/bear using a different load with a heavy for caliber bullets. A new barrel for my Savage is definetly a possiblity.

Don't ask for much do I? Ideas? Help? :D

LK
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - One gun, one load?

Post by tomtex »

look at a AR in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 Remington.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

270WCF.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

slow2run wrote:look at a AR in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 Remington.
Or if ARs aren't your thing, take a look at a 6.5 Grendel in a bolt gun.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

.257 Roberts would be outstanding. So would .250 Savage. Old is good, the newer glitzy cartridges that the so-called gun writers fawn over will soon be relegated to the dust bin of history , good ol' stuff will remain.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Talk to me brothers about the 6.5's. I've always had an interest in them for 20 years starting with the 6.5mm Mausers but have never been able to pull the trigger so to speak. The Grendel looks interesting and so does the Creedmore. But I've still got a hang up with the 6.5mm bullet selection. As I said above, bullet constuction seems to be either light for varmint or heavy for target/game without much compromise or crossover. I'm probably missing something. What would be a good combo bullet for my application? I will say this, judging by the renewed interest lately in 6.5's, I could see bullet selection being much better in the future.

Also, any good sources for barrels for a Savage 110? Preferably ones that don't cost as much as a new Savage.

LK

Edited to add: I agree jnyork. I ought to just get a.250 Savage barrel and run. If I thought I could load it heavy enough for elk or bear I very well may. Still not sure though.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

IT IS MY OPINION, SIR, THAT YOU ARE ASKING FOR A HELL OF A LOT MORE COMPROMISES THAN I'D CARE TO COPE WITH. NO ONE GUN CAN DO IT ALL WITHOUT IT BEING CLOSE TO WORTHLESS[ SOMETIMES..] ON EACH END OF THE EXTREMES. WERE I TO PICK ONE GUN FOR EVERYTHING, AND I NEVER WILL BECAUSE I WANT ONE OF EACH, I WOULD PICK A 30-06 AND BE DONE WITH IT. IT IS NOT THE BEST VARMINT RIFLE BUT IT'LL DO, AND WITH THE OLD HORNADY 220gr fmj BULLETS FROM YESTERYEAR IT'LL STILL SHOOT THROUGH THE HEAD OF AN ELEPHANT BECAUSE THOSE BULLETS WERE DESIGNED TO DO JUST THAT FROM A 300WEATHERBY MAGNUM. I HAVE THREE BOXES OF 'EM BUT THE ELEPHANTS ARE SAFE AS I KEEP 'EM FOR THE T-REX'S THAT MIGHT BE SHOWING UP HERE ON THE NORTHERN PLAINS ANYTIME NOW.
WHILE P.O. ACKLEY ALWAYS THOUGHT A 25 OR 26 CALIBER RIFLE WAS A DO-ANYTHING GUN I ALWAYS THOUGHT P.O. WAS FULL OF SHEEPDIP ON MANY FRONTS. I STILL HAVE A 257ACKIMP HE DID FOR ME.
I ALSO HAVE A CUSTOM 264WINMAG THAT'LL TAKE 120gr BULLETS UP TO 3400fps AND IT IS STILL NOTHING MORE THAN A GLORIFIED LONG RANGE VARMINT RIFLE THAT'LL ASLO TAKE THINSKINNED GAME LIKE SPEED GOATS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

I've always thought of it like to get somewhere cheap a ugo is about right , if you want to get there quite a little quicker a 150 cessna commuter will do purty good but to travel in an areo commander is style , class , and comfort . But none will do all , and I don't think it generally matters if we're talking boots , cars , lathes , or guns
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

What Terry said. 30-06.

That is what I have recently done.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I've got to agree with Terry on this, however, I'm reminded of the saying, "Jack of all trades, master of none."
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

Paul Matthews used a Ruger Number One in .375 H&H usually with cast bullet for a number of years. Seems to me this might be what you're looking for.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I'll agree the proposed project would be a Jack of all trades, master of none. That's what I'm looking for, kinda. Will a .30-06 work? Sure. From my experience with a 7mm-08, bigger guns shooting well constructed bullets don't do any worse damage to a fox than a .22-250 spitting a 50gr V-max or to a coyote when hit with a .243. Does that mean I want to use a 7mm-08 or a .30-06 on a regular basis in semi-populated farm ground? No. Out west no problem, here may be a problem.

IMO, the .30-30 would be better and in many places may be perfect. Even when shooting well constructed bullets from 125-170grs the bullet design and lower velocity help reduce ricochets substantially.

But back to the project. While I relize I can't a master of everything, I CAN get a jack of all trades that's dang good at alot of things. We aren't talking being able to kill a gopher without an exit wound one day and then hunting elephants the next. Like I said above the .30-30 is close but just doesn't have the range I want for open country hunting. .243 is also close, the .25's are closer and a 6.5 "may" be closer still. Still haven't found that majic place yet though :D

Too me the .243 wouldn't even be in the running except for the fact that I can't hardly squat around here without sitting on one. There cheap and very available but that also happens to be one of the reasons I don't care for em too.

Keep the ideas coming and thanks,

LK
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

It seems to me that you're looking for a rifle with 300+ yard and elk size capability, but are limited by location to shorter ranges. The only way you can have your cake and eat it too, is to get a rifle/cartridge combo that will handle your max needs, and down load it for your local situation. If you would like to have a 7-08 or .30-06, either would be a good choice. The one load for all situations is where the problem seems to lie. It sounds like you'd like to be able to shoot 300 yards, but don't live where you can shoot 300 yards. :lol: Or maybe I didn't understand what you're after. Just my .02$ Slim.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

slimster wrote:It seems to me that you're looking for a rifle with 300+ yard and elk size capability, but are limited by location to shorter ranges. The only way you can have your cake and eat it too, is to get a rifle/cartridge combo that will handle your max needs, and down load it for your local situation. If you would like to have a 7-08 or .30-06, either would be a good choice. The one load for all situations is where the problem seems to lie. It sounds like you'd like to be able to shoot 300 yards, but don't live where you can shoot 300 yards. :lol: Or maybe I didn't understand what you're after. Just my .02$ Slim.
Actually where I live we can and do shoot 300 plus yards very often. As a matter of fact it's rare for me to shoot at less than 200 yards for coyotes and fox. But with the smaller centerfires we use very frangible bullets that pretty well disappear after contact with dirt, shrubs, etc. You are right that I'm looking for a elk/bear gun on the light side power-wise to download and use for everything else. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure a 6.5 with 130-140gr bullets will do the job on elk and bear but be loaded with 100-110gr for everything else. I don't know if I can get up to bear/elk with the .250 Savage and know I can't with .243.

LK
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

another what TERRY SAID. A 30-06 in an 1895 src would be tough to beat anywhere in the world, icluding alaska and africa, if you only had 1 gun.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

A 356 Win.in the Mod. 94 has always been what I've thought of as a one gun possibility. Round balls or SWC's for small game, 180's or 220's for GP and 250's for Elk and Bear. It's also a versatile Cast Bullet gun.

As we all know, our ancestors had to make out with alot less, and usually ate and lived.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Gun Smith wrote:270WCF.
Gun Smith nailed it. I've killed coyotes and deer with this outfit and did them both in grand style. Heck, this ain't even a compromise, it's a smart perfect fit.

270 WCF - 130 grain soft-point bullets.

Oh, and I've yet to see a bullet bounce after passing through the animals you've listed. But if you miss, even a 22LR is going to travel much further than you want.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

It can be done as far as big game 30/06 180 gr bullet.
But to think of the 06 as a varmint tool you have to go to 125/130 or the 110gr bullet you could do it with one gun but you would have to sight in for another bullet come Fall and use Two bullets, one for Varmints and one for hunting. My Vote goes to the Nosler Part 180 for all Big Game and a Sierra 125 for the Gophers and yotes.But I use the 165gr Noz and 130gr Speer, in a 300 Sav or .308 Win.
A 6.5 could do it and a 7mm Could too but Gophers and Elk are a big diff.
P.S I shoot Elk and Moose loads at gophers but have the space to do it.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

It can be done as far as big game 30/06 180 gr bullet.
But to think of the 06 as a varmint tool you have to go to 125/130 or the 110gr bullet you could do it with one gun but you would have to sight in for another bullet come Fall and use Two bullets, one for Varmints and one for hunting. My Vote goes to the Nosler Part 180 for all Big Game and a Sierra 125 for the Gophers and yotes.But I use the 165gr Noz and 130gr Speer, in a 300 Sav or .308 Win.
A 6.5 could do it and a 7mm Could too but Gophers and Elk are a big diff.
P.S I shoot Elk and Moose loads at gophers but have the space to do it.
what the a double post?
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

1895 Winchester repop in 270. 1894BB in .307 might work out to 200 with a well constructed 150gr.

Ed
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

C. Cash wrote:A 356 Win.in the Mod. 94 has always been what I've thought of as a one gun possibility. Round balls or SWC's for small game, 180's or 220's for GP and 250's for Elk and Bear. It's also a versatile Cast Bullet gun.

As we all know, our ancestors had to make out with alot less, and usually ate and lived.
the .356wcf in a model 94 would be my PERSONAL CHOICE. the ought 6 is a little more versatile and shoots a little flatter. the big clincher is ammo availability. if the box stores stock the .356 and it cost the same as the 30-06, i'd choose the 356, cause it's chambered in a 1894 winchester. 8)
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

a 300 sav it will kill elk at 300 yds with 165 or 180 if elk at 300 wasnt a factor a 250 sav would cover deer at 300 and elk closer theres a couple old boys around here that use a 250 on deer, elk & moose. danny
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm with Terry on this, 30-06 is the one I would go with.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I think that I'm more or less with Terry on this one.

One load won't do it, though. You could have a short-range varmint
load and a 180gr load for the Elk and other critters way out past
Fort Mudge if you like the 30-06 suggestion.

Your first requirement for a load that won't skip lead all over the
countryside and your third requirement for a 300+ yard load are
pretty much in conflict.

Losing the 300 yard requirement, a 30-30 or 35 Remington would
be all you'd ever need. Yeah, they're hi-powered rounds, but not
nearly as hot as the 30-06 loaded up to max gross weight. The 270,
I think, might even be worse for richochets than the '06. It shoots
faster and has a flatter trajectory, although it doesn't carry the energy
of the heavier 30 caliber projectile.

I think you oughta have three guns and be done with it! :twisted:
A 22 for really short-range light work, a 35 Remington for medium
ranges, and the 30-06 for long-range stuff. 8)

If you gotta insist on just one gun (which, all kidding aside, is actually
a REALLY GOOD IDEA in many ways), the 30-06 with a couple of different
loads would do it. One of Remington's 700 series would be my first overall
choice. Not the priciest, not the fanciest, but a very, very good place to
start.

-Stretch
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

7MM Rem Mag!
That gun will do it all.
Thought my .300 Wim Mag was the Gun(till I got my couple 7MM Mags) Never looked back!
Last edited by madman4570 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

tman wrote:
C. Cash wrote:A 356 Win.in the Mod. 94 has always been what I've thought of as a one gun possibility. Round balls or SWC's for small game, 180's or 220's for GP and 250's for Elk and Bear. It's also a versatile Cast Bullet gun.

the .356wcf in a model 94 would be my PERSONAL CHOICE. the ought 6 is a little more versatile and shoots a little flatter. the big clincher is ammo availability. if the box stores stock the .356 and it cost the same as the 30-06, i'd choose the 356, cause it's chambered in a 1894 winchester. 8)
It's sure a good one T-man. Admittedly, I've not shot mine to 300 yards but Paco reports hitting easily with it at that distance. Gonna have to try that!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

With the 120grain @ 3500fps 7MM Rem Mag its just a BIG Varmit Gun.
Kinda drops a deer like a 22-250 drops a chuck!
Sometimes you see this red haze(vapor?)for a brief moment right where they stood before they fall like a ton of rocks!
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

30-06 definately. 125 grain Ballistic Tips (3200fps)for coyotes and 165 Partitions (2900fps) for deer/goats. 200 grain Partitions for elk/bear @ 2600fps.

Good luck with your project, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

L_Kilkenny wrote:
.250 Savage is still high up on my list but to be honest I know so little about the .25's I can't make the call. I'm sure it has many of the same advantages/disadvantages of the .243 but is harder to find on a budget. I've seriously though about ordering an 18" - .250 barrel for my .22-250 but I still need a lot of help on a load that will fill my needs. Would it be alright for bear/elk using heavy loads?

Next step up would be a .260 or a 6.5 Swede. Like the .250 I don't know much about 6.5 bullets and again it's hard to find on a budget. From everything I can tell bullet selection is either geared 100% towards varmints OR 100% towards big game OR 100% towards target shooting. There doesn't seem to be much crossover in bullet selection and weights. Even the lighter bullets in the 100 grain range might be too well constructed for using in semi-populated farm country on a regular basis (due to ricochet factor).

LK
Until you add elk and bear into the mix any of the mentioned cartridges, add the .257 Roberts, would be an excellent choice. The 6.5's are extreme penetrators and really excel at ranges beyond what you've listed, at 300 yds the I don't really think you could tell much between them and the .25's.

I used to have rifles from .22 Hornet to .458WM and almost everything in between. Between having kids and getting divored, that herd got thinned considerably. After I got over my "magnum" craze I settled on the .30-06 as my "do it most of the time" gun. It's still too heavy for varmits, unless you buy a couple of .30 carbine cartridge inserts, but for anything else you mentioned it'll work just fine. Although if I was intentionally looking to remove the hide from a big bear I'd use my '86 .45-70 with heavy loads over the '06.

Steve made the comment that the '06 was a "jack of all trades, master of none" cartridge...well, that may be. But for a one gun man it's just hard to beat the ole '06 especially if you roll your own. If you don't you can usually buy factory ammo in any WallyWorld or mom & pop grocery store in hunting country.

BTW, kick that barrel length up to 20" on that .250 Savage and you'll have a prince of a light rifle. I had a 20" Winchester carbine years ago and it's one of the guns I've tried to get back at double what I sold it for. Every time I mention it my bud's wife picks up a pistol and gets a unhealthy glare (for me) in her eyes. :lol:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

One gun, one load would be hard. One gun, 2-3 loads a little easier.

1. 7-08 Win
2. .308 Win
3. 30-06

....one of these is where I would look. I live in farmland area with many homes, a neighbor uses 30-06 with sabots for coyote with no problems. Our area is sectioned in 1-mile squares, and can see clear across most of them, we just make sure there are no houses, barns etc. in the line of sight before shooting.
UNITE
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

Barrel twist will be the big puzzler. Even with a .30-06. That being said I am a HUGE .25-06 fan. I have shot 100+ deer with one and never had one take more than a few steps. I had a .257WSSM AR upper built a couple years ago specifically to shoot 115-117gr bullets.

Well whadya know I developed some 85gr loads for a prairie dog trip last year to Colorado and it shot sub 1" groups - with the wrong bullets. Can't say nothing else will do that, but I know mine sure did!
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Well sir, Terryprobably gave you the best answer, but you know (sounds like yer somewhat familar with the 30-30) that there are lots of loads available for the old 30-30. The answer to the longer range is "get sneaky".

I've made 20 yd shots with a 45-70 because I could, never apollogised to anyone.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Given your requirements I would say that it is possible to pick one gun but not one load. As far as cartridges go my vote goes to the 270 winchester. Load it with a 110 vmax for varmints . . . 130 grain for deer and 150 for elk or anything else in that size range. While it wont handle the heavy bullets like the 06 will it shoots flatter and in my opinion has alot of killing power for the amount of recoil that you get.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

another choice might be 25-06. I have never used one but would maybe extend the range of a 250 sav. If a lever is wanted, find a mod 99 in 250 and enjoy.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

It's already been said, and they're right. 30-06. It's been doing it all for over 100 years.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A .50 BMG will go as far and furious as you could possibly want, and maybe you could make 'chamber inserts' for it for something 'tame' in the straight-walled .50 cal class...

...of course they ARE somewhat heavy, being in the 30-60-lb. class, but think of it as some good exercise... :lol:

Might be kinda tuff on the squirrel and rabbit sized critters, if you wanted to save the hide, or the meat, but maybe the right 'light' load would field-dress them for you and save a step. :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

L_Kilkenny wrote:I've been having an idea in my mind for the last year or so. The idea doesn't stem from a need, more from a want. I WANT to simplify things to en extent and buy/build a "do it all" hunting rig that I can take out one day for coyote and the next for deer without having to change a thing. The idea is to buy/build a gun and develope ONE load to use for varmints/predators thru whitetail. 3 kickers............... #1 is I live in farming country and would just as soon not have lead bouncing all over the country side, #2 is I might want to go after elk or bear in the future with this gun, #3 is I want 300 yard range. #1 may be the hardest thing to over come. It's not hard to come up with a gun that kills coyotes and deer well. To do it with out bouncing lead for miles is a harder.
Random thoughts: To tell the truth if my particular 94 in .30-30 was more accurate and was a little more flat shooting I'd be happy. My current coyote gun is my .22-250 and while great for coyotes it's not legal here for deer. If I lived/hunted in a less populated area I'd buy a 7mm-08 and never look back. If it wasn't for wanting a gun for possible bear or elk I'd get a .243 and never look back.
The .243 is still high up on the list though I've had em and don't really care for em. Blow the hell outta coyotes (with light weight varmint bullets), a little light for deer and too small for bear/elk. It does have some things going for it. Namely good bullet selection. While not keeping with my "one load idea" I can buy Nosler BT's and Partitions in the same weigths, same for hornady V vs. A-max, and maybe Remington bullets. While not garenteed to have the same POI when switching bullets, using the same bullet weights should keep me close enough for government work.
To sum it up: Want a 300 yard gun using a load in a medium weight bullet (85-100gr) to use for varmints to deer. I also want it to be big enough for possible elk/bear using a different load with a heavy for caliber bullets. A new barrel for my Savage is definetly a possiblity.
Don't ask for much do I? Ideas? Help? :D
LK
Right up to there I had the perfect rig for ya. Too bad, too' as they're just a hoot. :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I suggest you drop your need to kill Elk and Moose. I've hunted both and you really limit your daily use choices. Buy a 444 for the big stuff. Anything capable of this task to long range does not belong in farming country.

If I were to drop the need for the big stuff a 25-35 in a 94 or a 250 Savage would be ideal in a lever action. 300 yards range would suit a bolt gun best.

If you don't reload I would pick a 243. If you reload I'd pick a .25 and have 2 rounds, one varmint load with explosive bullets (really the best for farming country safety) and a deer load. You would only have to rezero for deer season.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Nothing wrong with a 30-06, although it would not be my choice. It's hard to nail down a do-all, one caliber, one load gun. If I had to pick a "do-all" gun of mine it would have to be my 94 30-30.

With all that being said, I've been lusting after a Ruger M77 Compact in .308. 16" bbl, stainless, and weighs 6 1/2 lbs without a scope. You can load light for varmints, or 220 grainers for big hairy stuff with big teeth and a bad attitude. That is one gun I've been wanting for a while now. IMO, it can just about do it all. It wouldn't be the best for the varmints, but it would work. I like the .308 cartridge, and I think it is second to none for deer, and isn't too shabby for slightly bigger critters either.
Last edited by shooter on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

My vote goes for the .300 Whelen. It is a bran new Wildcat I read an article about. It is a 35 Whelen necked down to 30 caliber. Some of you may call it a 30-06!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bigahh wrote:My vote goes for the .300 Whelen. It is a bran new Wildcat I read an article about. It is a 35 Whelen necked down to 30 caliber. Some of you may call it a 30-06!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

THAT's funny.

You should write an article up for one of the gun magazines on your new wildcat cartridge, and see if they'd print it. You could wait until the very last paragraph to say it is actually a .30-06.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Still trying to figure out how you beat a 165gr at {400 yards} going 2450 fps with 2200 ft lbs and with only 17" of hold over at 400yds when sighted in at 200yds.(and all with not much recoil)
What 30-06 does that! :D (cause I got 3 of the 06's)

Kinda like to think of the 7MM Mag as the "400yd hot 30-30 fired at the muzzle gun" :D
I know I rant on about the 7MM guess its just because it amazes me that it can do anything the .300 winny can do and do it with a fraction of the recoil!

No, really guy I say get/use what turns you on(what someone likes, someone else might not,and thats cool and its what is so great about gun/calibers there are so many to choose from)
Good Luck whatever you pick!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

257 Weatherby.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

86er wrote:257 Weatherby.

Oh ya!
Thats sweet also,wont disagree a bit on that one brother! :wink:
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

AJMD429 wrote:
Bigahh wrote:My vote goes for the .300 Whelen. It is a bran new Wildcat I read an article about. It is a 35 Whelen necked down to 30 caliber. Some of you may call it a 30-06!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

THAT's funny.

You should write an article up for one of the gun magazines on your new wildcat cartridge, and see if they'd print it. You could wait until the very last paragraph to say it is actually a .30-06.
It's been done. Just finished reading it again less than an hour ago. Either Handloader or Rifle.

.308 or 30-06 would work.
I wouldn't throw out the .257 Weatherby either.

Byron
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Without a doubt, at least from my experiences and based on your criteria, I would think the 6.5 Swede fits the bill better than all the suggestions.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Glad to see the 250 savage got a mention on your list. Given what you want to do I would be looking at a 250 Savage or 257 Roberts which will handle payloads heavier than a 243 or as has already been suggested look to the 6.5 swede.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

The original poster wanted to stay at 80-100 grain bullets, safe farming country manners and the possibility of heavier bullets for Elk and such.

The 30-06 and any such large caliber gun is not even close to answering his question.

The closest would be a 25 caliber but in my view consider a rifle dedicated for your home turf, like a 243 or 250 Savage in a lever like a Savage 99 or Browning BLR (he did post in a levergun forum, 257 Weatherby? which lever gun is it chambered in).

Elk and Moose are not really suited to 100-150 grain bullets. Full load 180 grain 308/30-06 would be my minimum, 444 Marlin has been my personal choice for a number of large game animals.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

To have a gun suitable to take the big stuff like Elk/Bear/Moose On the statement "medium weight bullet (85-100gr) to use for varmints to deer" comment how about making it easy on us uping it to at least 85-120gr.???
Its pretty darn tough to find a caliber that launches a 85-100 grs for that stuff but also has stuff ample for Bear or say an Elk out at 300yds.
wsmrto
Levergunner

Post by wsmrto »

I use the 6.5 for just about anything. I like to use cast for target and fun , load my own in 100 gr, use 120/ 140 gr for deer and have several nice cow Elk with 140 grs. I don't think it can be beat, check out some of the many articles on loads for it. Beats the 270 and 308 for all ranges out to 500 yds. There are many reloads available for it. brass is cheap, and most important is the rifles are everywhere in old mausers, Kimber refurbs, even Remington and Ruger have them. I have seen my elk drop to her knees on the spot and just roll down dead on the spot with a 140 gr Hornady. I just can't seem to load enough of them.