About the new Winchester model 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

About the new Winchester model 94

Post by getitdone1 »

Would like to know who to write or call so I could give the manufacturers of the new Winchester model 94 some suggestions.

Maybe others here would like to do the same.

Maybe we could submit our suggestions as a group. ??

Suggestions:

1. Long fore stock--like the old ones
2. Round-off the corners on bottom of receiver--like the old ones.
3. All machined parts--like the old ones.
4. In short: Make the gun the full equal of the best 94's of the past.

Don McCullough
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Re: About the new Winchester model 94

Post by Slick13 »

I'd say contact Browning, but I'm not sure who to direct your correspondence to there.

~Michael
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I'd love to believe they'd listen :roll: .
I'm sure building them the old way would increase the price enough to not make sense to the manufacturer, from a marketing viewpoint. But what the heck, it's worth a try :D .
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Prolly makes more sense, just to buy an "old one". :mrgreen:
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Like Homefront says, they would cost too much--For real, I am guessing about 2 to 2 and 1/2 G's, maybe 3. This would be to reproduce the pre WW "one" guns.

Slick 13---Neat avatar--the jerk used to play here in Philly. On a side note, my buddies I work with are with me right now and I had to ask "who the heck is that"? when I saw your avatar. I know virtually nothing of sports--I used to, back in the 60's.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

Pete44ru wrote:Prolly makes more sense, just to buy an "old one". :mrgreen:
ditto with all that being done to a win 94 the price would be very high and most people would give it a pass.not everyone is a levergunner :D I know I am and wouldn't pay $1000.00 + or - for a new 94.
pete
DAV life member.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Heck, I'd be happy just to have them back in production in the USA. If they're at least as good as USRAC was making them, I'll buy another one! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

everyone in this forum should send them an email....
and if they do decide to make the 94....i sure hope
its made in the south carolina plant....
if its made somewhere else I will not buy one
Winchester rifles are an American icon....
not japanese, belgium or portugese icon
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I doubt they listen at all. However if they did it wouldn't cost any more to make them like the old guns than to make them like the AE's we had up to '06.
With all the CNC machinery it would be a simple task to set up the computers to machine out exactly what they wanted. The forgings start out the same, the bits and parts are the same. All that would be required would be to alter a few small contours and tighten up the tolerances.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Make them like the old ones and in the same calibres as the old ones and I'll take three, 25-35, 30-30, and 38-55.
On the other hand if they make modern garbage with plastic barrel bands and other cheap shortcuts, I won't buy any.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

exact duplicates of the original src's. chamber them in .450 marlin. .356wcf. .308 marlin, .30wcf, and .357 mag. that should cover all the game in the world.
Sgt Ryan
Levergunner

Post by Sgt Ryan »

I did just that a couple of days ago getitdone1. I called Winchester Firearms excuse me Browning/ Winchester and told them make um like they used to. Anyone who would put a cross bolt or tang safety on a lever gun should have their head examined.

Bring back the 1886, the 73,the 76 even the 66 and Henry. Some of Winchesters future is in her past. Companies all over the world are making lots of money off replicating Winchesters designs while Winchester keeps her head in the east wing of the ivory tower.

Car companies are bringing retro designs from the sixties yet Winchester focuses on the return of the 94. Hello, I guess we will have to buy a Uberti. A metric Winchester is better than no Winchester.

Somebody get me off this soap box please.
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

gundownunder ,I love your avatar :)
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Answer back from a contact at Browning a week or so ago was that no plans have been finalized on the 94.
Don't count on it too hard for this year.
Might be a possibility for '09.
Denis
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I'm callin' em with the following suggestions: IF they want to make money, they will have to make 2 versions. One with several safeties for the dunces who know squat about lowering hammers on lever guns and another made the original way for people like us who appreciate them in their original format. Otherwise, they might as well save their time and energy and not even manufacture them.
The New Model 94
Levergunner

Post by The New Model 94 »

It's obvious the New 94 must be produced in two versions, a Traditional model without AE or Tang Safety to compete with Henry, Puma, and Uberti. To satisfy the cowboy shooters, original calibers like the .25-35, .32 Special and .38-55 plus the pistol chamberings are mandatory.

Then a Hunter model with Tang Safety and Angle Eject to compete with Marlin and to appeal to younger shooters who expect a rifle to be scoped. Include calibers 7-30 Waters, .307, .308 Marlin Express, .356, .375, .450 Marlin. Perhaps an all-weather stock like the old Black Shadow.

Manufactured in the United States, of course.

Oh, wait, that's what Winchester was doing before it went belly up.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[they will have to make 2 versions.]

[One with several safeties for the dunces who know squat about lowering hammers on lever guns] Yup

[ another made the original way for people like us who appreciate them in their original format.] That'll be the one with the solid-billet barrel & bolt welded in battery
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rebel1972 wrote:gundownunder ,I love your avatar :)
Looks like Penelope Cruz in Banditas.

I agree with those who said two models. One a true Classic. It's features and action dating back to the pre-war years.

The other a hunter version. Make it an Angle Eject with a slightly longer barrel in the hotter calibers mentioned. As for the action, well, that's where I have to take a different path. I can't abide rebounding hammers and add on safeties. So I'd want my hunter version with the original action.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I serously doubt if they will ever make the 94 like the original. I am afraid we are stuck with the stupid safetys, rebounding hammers etc. The best thing to do is, search out and buy an original pre-64 while you can still get one, if it's important to you.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have no reason to believe that a real model 94 will be made again. I have one made in 2002 :? ,1953,and 1896. If Win-URAC or whoever comes out with them, I bet they have the STUPID REBOUNDING HAMMER and other junk along with the trigger pull frome HELL. Springs that belong under my truck not a rifle.
John Browning must really laugh at what they did to one of His designs.Jim.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

What will be made is being figured out by bean counters........what price point will sell the most to compete with their competition?
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Well the model 70 I bought 2 weeks before Winchester went down was $560. 00 with tax. Now the new ones are priced at $1188.00 with tax. with the last retail of a 94 original legacy 30-30 at $597.00 from my catalogue-- that means a new one will be about $1300.00 with sales tax.
That for a 94 with rebounder and tang safety --- buy an old one now!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

buckeyeshooter wrote:Well the model 70 I bought 2 weeks before Winchester went down was $560. 00 with tax. Now the new ones are priced at $1188.00 with tax. with the last retail of a 94 original legacy 30-30 at $597.00 from my catalogue-- that means a new one will be about $1300.00 with sales tax.
If they price them that high, they will push them into the nitch market. And that means they won't sell many.

Joe
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

J Miller wrote:
buckeyeshooter wrote:Well the model 70 I bought 2 weeks before Winchester went down was $560. 00 with tax. Now the new ones are priced at $1188.00 with tax. with the last retail of a 94 original legacy 30-30 at $597.00 from my catalogue-- that means a new one will be about $1300.00 with sales tax.
If they price them that high, they will push them into the nitch market. And that means they won't sell many.

Joe
If they price them that high, they will push themselves out of the market. And that means they won't sell any. (unless, #1: They make them here, and #2: They make them like they were made 100 years ago.)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

It would be interesting to see a study showing what a model 94 made in 1900 cost as a percentage of an average workers income, and what that would represent in today's dollars.

I don't know how to do such a thing, but it might be interesting to see. I wonder if we expect too much quality for too little $ today?

Tom
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have a program that can do that. Just tell me what an 1894 cost back then and I'll do it.

Joe
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

According to the Winchester catalog #58 My 38-55 made in 1896 cost $19.50 with a 26" octagon barrel...... Jim.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

That would be $586.94 in todays dollars, heck I'll give you $600.00 :D

http://www.halfhill.com/inflation.html
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Salvo, WOW thanks for the offer :wink: . I................WILL............ Think about it though....Jim.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

well the 1895 repros are about $1500.00 and very niche items -- I see the 94's being the same
gunstockmaker
Levergunner

Get an old one

Post by gunstockmaker »

IMHO - get an older one, have it rebarreled to your favorite caliber. You'll spend as much as you would on a new rifle (when they make 'em again) and you'll get what you want.
If you have to shoot it at more than 200 yards, you're shooting, not hunting!
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

Did any of our SHOT Show visitors discuss the 94 with the FN/ Browning people?
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My calculator agrees with Salvos.
If the 94 comes back as a nitch item it will fail. The 95s, 86s, 71s, never were made in the quantity the 94 was made in. They were always a nitch item and so being one now is workable.

There are so many original 94s in circulation now that if the new ones are priced in the nitch item level very few will buy them and they'll go away in short order.

I know for a fact that even if I want one, I won't pay any were near that price for them.

Joe