Crimping the .44 Mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Crimping the .44 Mag

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Gentlemen,
I bought a Lee set of dies including a regular seater with roll crimp and the taper crimp die.
I have been roll crimping and taper crimping. Is that correct, or , should I only use one method?
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: Crimping the .44 Mag

Post by Lefty Dude »

One or the other, both together is not necessary.

I use the roll crimp for lead loads.

The LFCD is useful for jacketed rounds, for a tight crimp when used in a Lever Rifle magazine fed.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Have no idea why you would get a taper crimp for the 44 mag. No need - use the roll crimp only. All of the bullets intended for the 44 have crimp grooves or caneluers to crimp into.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Have no idea why you would get a taper crimp for the 44 mag. No need
He probably got the same set I got when I retired my old Lyman .44mag dies. I replaced them with a set of Lee with a carbide sizer. My set came with the 3 typical dies and a 4th which is the FCD. I loaded a few rounds with it just to see how it worked, but haven't used it since - no need.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Search for "Lee FCD" or "factory crimp die" and you'll find a variety of threads on the crimping of .44 Mag.

I found the BEST was to use the Lee .44-40 'rifle' die to crimp my .44 Mag loads, although I eventually hand-filed a couple thousandth's off the die's base to make it start the crimp at the best place.

Here's one thread on the topic - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... t=+Lee+FCD

Good luck!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Paul,

I am a great believer of using a heavy roll crimp, especially on heavy loaded magnum revolver cartridges.

You don't have to worry about the bullets jumping crimp in a revolver, nor do you have to worry about the bullets being pushed deeper in a tubular magazine.

Lots of folks complain about Unique being a very dirty burning powder. With heavy roll crimps, I do not find this to be true. I believe that the heavy roll crimp gives powder more time to burn more completely before the bullet is forced from the case and results in a more complete, cleaner burn. Any bullet i use that has a crimp grove gets a heavy roll crimp. And I don't use lots of bullets without crimp groves.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The Lee 4 Die Deluxe set comes with an extra FCD. The FCD for straight walled rimmed cases is not a taper crimp die. It's a fancy roll crimp die.
The only way I can think a taper crimp die would be in that set was by mistake.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My rounds shoot clean because I use a heavy Lee FDC..... At least I think so :P For sure, I don't want a 300+ grain bullet jumping crimp in my revolver (or anything else, for that matter)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Lee Factory Crimp Die used on all of my .44 loads. In fact, all revolver loads. No complaints.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Doc Hudson wrote:Paul,

I am a great believer of using a heavy roll crimp, especially on heavy loaded magnum revolver cartridges.

You don't have to worry about the bullets jumping crimp in a revolver, nor do you have to worry about the bullets being pushed deeper in a tubular magazine.

Lots of folks complain about Unique being a very dirty burning powder. With heavy roll crimps, I do not find this to be true. I believe that the heavy roll crimp gives powder more time to burn more completely before the bullet is forced from the case and results in a more complete, cleaner burn. Any bullet i use that has a crimp grove gets a heavy roll crimp. And I don't use lots of bullets without crimp groves.

+++++1
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

A major factor in gaining accuracy with straight cases is uniform trim length. With uniform lengths, crimps are consistant and accuracy improve, often to a surprising degree.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

blackhawk44 wrote:A major factor in gaining accuracy with straight cases is uniform trim length. With uniform lengths, crimps are consistant and accuracy improve, often to a surprising degree.
I think that's one thing the rifle-type Lee "Factory Crimp" dies helps compensate for, whereas the roll-crimp dies of all makes (which in my opinion really includes the pistol-type "Factory Crimp" die lee makes,) pretty much depend on case length to determine the degree of crimp.

That difference (even though I DO trim my cases) was one reason I decided to stay with the "FCD" concept, by using the .44-40 rifle die to crimp my .44 Mags, instead of the .44 Mag pistol die. It's worked well so far, anyway.

I haven't really ever understood the purported advantage of the sliding crimping-collet Lee uses in the pistol-type FCD's.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "