Colt Saa collectors I need some help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Colt Saa collectors I need some help

Post by gordylew »

I know very little about Colt SAAs other then I think they're cool. I picked up an antique Colt today and need to know a little about it.
here is what I've got Colt Saa has "COLT FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER" on the left side of the barrel above that (BISLEY MODEL) above this is Colt's PT.F.A MFG HARTFORD CT USA
7.5 " barrel looks to be 44-40 caliber I did not have any 44-40 ammo laying around but 45 LC doesn't fit, the bore is smaller then 45 and a .44 mag round fits half way down the chamber of the cylinder. Serial # 223***
Right grip is broke, missing cylinder pin and cross bolt, ejector housing and ejector MIA also
as well as a replaced trigger housing screw. looks to be @ 50% brown

Questions
What is is it worth in current condition?
Where could one obtain replacement parts?
Is it worth having it reconditioned by a competent gun restorer..IE Turnbull?
does anybody have a little history on this model?

Thanks I know from the past there are a lot of knowledgable folks one here that can steer me in the right direction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Colt Saa collectors I need some help

Post by rangerider7 »

Go to the Colt forum, they will be able to give you quality answers to your questions.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17
"That'll Be The Day"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

ALL Colt SAs marked "Frontier Six Shooter" on the barrel are caliber .44 WCF, aka .44-40. Parts are available from various sources.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Hi Gordylew,
All SAA's marked Frontier Sixshooter are 44/40 caliber. The Bisley model is not as valuable as the Army model. You appear to have an original 1st Generation gun. If you want to keep it as valuable as you can, you will need to use original parts to make the repairs. All good gunshows will have at least one or more dealers selling used SAA parts. Some of your missing parts are a bit scarce, but all should be available. All your missing parts are interchangable with most SAA's, except for very early models. The cylinder pin did have some variations, but SAA parts dealers will know the difference by manufacturing date of the gun. There were two different ejector rods also. Your gun used the later style. Of course the Bisley grip is different from the Army model. Start looking on the "Gunbroker" website under "firearms parts - handguns, for Colt SAA parts. There are many dealers on the net also selling parts, and I'm sure that several other members will post their address. Estimating value is difficult, but any first generation Colt Bisley, in allmost any functioning condition, is worth more than $1000.00. Unless you want a restored gun, and I wouldn't suggest it, don't do anything to it, no touchup blue, no polishing, etc. If you are not able to work on it yourself, find a gunsmith who will carefully clean it for you. Be sure he understands CLEANING ONLY, nothing else.
It is OK to shoot it with light 44/40 factory ammo AFTER it is checked out by a 'smith. The serial number 223xxx was manufactured about 1902.
Google Colt SAA and you will get thousands of hits for historical information about these guns. They are one of the most sought after handguns in the collector hobby.
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

Yes, 44WCF. "COLT FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER" was how Colt marked their SAA & Bisley Models in 44WCF (44-40) until the late 1920's (I think late '20's, might have been early '30's). I'll have to look up the serial # but yours dates to about 1899.The best bet would be to repair the gun with original parts.Try David Lanera, or www.coltparts.com , or www.colt-parts.com. Repaired it might be worth around $2000 or so, the SAA's bring quite a bit more than Bisley models.The serial #'s for Bisleys were mixed in with the SAA.Of the 357,000 1st gen Colts about 40,000 or so were Bisleys.
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

Looks like GunSmith has the correct date of manufacture. I was just guessing from the dates of some of my Colts.
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

The few Bisleys I have seen at gun shows , had prices from about 2500 to one at a Houston show that was 7500 asking . But as said I have only seen a few over the years .
Depends on what you really like . I'm not a collector , but should I be wearing your boots , I'd have it repaired or "restored " , When I acquire a gun it's to shoot. Not to lay in the safe and never be seen or used. But that's just me. Seems like a good deal for you. Enjoy :mrgreen: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D ,,,,,,,,,,,Mutt
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

Thanks for all the info!

I'll probably just sell this one seeing I still have a nice 1894 Marlin 25-20 that I'm planning on restoring. Too many projects not enough capital. :mrgreen:
I've always wanted to own a real SAA but would prefer a shooter. I currently have a Uberti 45 LC that pacifies my thirst. maybe if I can get enough for this one in selling it, I can afford to buy a descent used 2 or 3rd generation.

What would a reasonable asking price be for this one in it's current condition?
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

You might put out a couple of feelers. You might be able to get someone to trade you for a more current copy of the Colt Single Action Army in 45 Colt. Then you would get a new revolver, in the brand, and possibly cartridge you want. You may have to give a little cash to get someone to trade. But not much IMO. Tom.