Powders for .45-90WCF

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Powders for .45-90WCF

Post by Mike D. »

I have, so far, only loaded IMR 3031 and 4198 for this cartridge. For the high end load 52 grains 4198 gave impressive results, but recoil in my little pre-1910 1886 Winchester was severe to say the least. I need to test loads using the 250 Barnes TSX bullet and would like to try Reloader 7. To start, I'm considering 50 grains. The big 2.4" case will be close to 3/4 full, and with the lighter bullet seated will have approximately 1/4" air gap between the powder and bullet. If I was to use the 300 Barnes, which is considerably longer, the load would be compressed, something I want to avoid with this cartridge. I know that Ricky and Joe have tested some HV loads for this cartridge, but I don't want to get too extreme with a very valuable 104 yr old gun.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: Powders for .45-90WCF

Post by Doc Hudson »

Try 85 grains of FFg blackpowder. i like Elephant brand, but I hear Swiss Powder produces higher velocity and burns cleaner,
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I don't want to shoot black in a smokeless '86. Too dang much cleaning; I'd have to tear the gun down every time it was fired.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'd think 50 grains of RL-7 would be a good start. Maybe 2100-2150fps?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

My starting load, which will also be the highest with the .915" copper bullet, is 50 grs Reloader 7. The load is slightly compressed, but that should not be an issue. This one will not be tested in the old Winchesters, but will be tried in the Browning .45-90 carbine. With any luck, I can do it tomorrow, or maybe Sunday. Sorry that my photo app stopped working, but I will take some pictures anyway.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Mike,
Ken waters had two loads with RL-7 that he used in a 45-90. These were maximum loads according to him.

45 grains Reloader 7, 400 gr Speer JSP, 1835 fps. (This was the best jacketed bullet load that he tested at the time in a Sharps rifle)
45 grains RL-7, 416 gr. Lyman cast bullet, 1767 fps. (This was the most accurate cast bullet load in a Winchester, but it may have had a newer barrel with a shorter twist. My 86 won't stabilize a 405 gr bullet.)

If you are interested, I have an Excel spreadsheet of ~100 45-90 loads with different powders and bullets that I have gleaned from different sources. (Some of yours are in the mix!) There are loads for old and modern barrels. Send me a PM and your email address if interested.)

George
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mike,
You probably won't take my advice because of what happened to my other 45-90. :D That was along time ago. But..................I do have two others (both nickel steel) that I shoot on a semi-regular basis and I have settled and am happy with duplicating factory ballistics.

I use the 2.4 case with a 325 gr. gas checked bullet, sized .459 in front of 34 grs. of 5744. Clocks a bit over 1500.

I have also used 50 grains of 3031 with a 400 gr. Speer. Don't know the velocity as that load was used before I had a chrono.

I have also shot a thousand or two of 45-70's out of these 45-90's with no noticable loss of accuracy. Sometimes I'll take a hundred 45-70's loaded with 11 grains of Unique with the 385 Lyman and blast away at steel at the gunclub--very accurate but a terrible trajectory------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD