EAA Bounty Hunter rimfire

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

EAA Bounty Hunter rimfire

Post by azmark »

I read Paco's article on the Bounty Hunter in .357. Does anyone here have any experience with the .22LR/.22 Mag convertible version of this revolver?
Mark Dickinson
Ysabel Kid

Re: EAA Bounty Hunter rimfire

Post by Ysabel Kid »

No experience with either. Is that the "large capacity" revolver?
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

It has an eight-round cylinder.
Mark Dickinson
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

A very limited amount of shooting and handling over a weekend last fall. My impression was not entirely negative but I would not buy one.

I'd rather have a USFA, Ruger Bearcat, Ruger single six, or a Heritage......in that order.

Price wise I think the Heritage is the same or a little less than the EAA product and that is why I say I would not buy one. IMO the Heritage is better shooting firearm but my sample size is small so take that into account.

Wm
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Yeah, I'm thinking about a single six but looking at cheaper alternatives as well. I just don't like the looks of the Heritage.
Mark Dickinson
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

I've got one and my wife has the Heritage, so maybe I can help.
Mine:
Kind of big. Feels like a "real gun".
Fixed sights (on mine) if that is a problem.
Pretty accurate for what I use it for. (Mostly plinking and coup de grâce.)

Hers:
Lighter and smaller.
Adjustable sites (more accurate than mine really with those sites).
A safety, yes that's right a safety. Kind of a flip up affair just left of the hammer. Not bad as far as such things go, I guess. She likes it. Me not so much.

Which do I like to just have fun with an shoot more: Mine.
If I was going to use it squirrel hunting which would I rather use: Hers. (for the sites mostly)
(don't let her know I said that part though)
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I have one:

It's a good looking inexpensive gun. If you're the sort that's used to buying black powder guns and having to work on them to get them as nice as you'd like then you'll be fine with this one since it might require a bit of fidgeting. If you're expecting Ruger quality look elsewhere. Mine fits my leather which tells me that the gun is reasonably standard SAA in size. Some of the metal is either aluminum or some other sort of inexpensive alloy. Some of the machined edges are quite sharp and could use some finishing (especially on the cylinder). The bluing on the main portions of the gun is thin but attractive. The gun can be carried with six loaded since it has a disconnect, but it peens the cylinders mercilessly if you dry fire it so DON'T (make sure you get a new-in-the-box one, not a display model).

If Ruger made a standard New Vaquero in 8 or 10 shot .22 convertible I'd want one badly but it would cost $600. I got the Bounty Hunter for something like $200 and at that price it's a fun shooter.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright